Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

281 - 292 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
So to me, what Sarah described has always meant surging. Snatchy throttle means sensitive throttle, basically quick on/off as you twist your wrist. Seems like we are on the same page.

For the record I know that these symptoms are both (mostly) cured on the Monster 1100 EVO by a Rexxer remap. Also to a large degree by the Termi setup.

On the test ride I had on the Full throttle, I did not notice any surging. I did notice a little bit of the on/off throttle, but I actually like/prefer that. Snatchiness is something that is much more pronounced on my Monster 1100 EVO, and surging as well, so really I thought the stock fueling on the FT I test rode was perfect. I remember thinking to myself, "Holy Crap, Ducati finally got a fuel map right!!" LOL. Maybe because of what I'm used to, and of course also only based on two rides, FWIW.

·
Registered
447 Posts
...I have attempted to take a specific video. This is of the bike taking off and riding with no throttle. While the effect is not as great with no throttle as it is with some throttle, it has the advantage that it rules out any suggestion that it is the rider's lack of skill at controlling a responsive throttle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72240052/Scrambler low speed.mov
Thanks PureEntropy, Your effort and time in making the video is much appreciated. It appears our bikes act pretty much the same at idle which I would not have known without your post.

If anyone got the impression from my post in the other thread that I think lack of skill has anything to do with this throttle problem, that is definitely not the message I wanted to convey. I have a 'snatchy' or as I put it, a very responsive throttle and think it is indeed problematic. And after over two thousand miles using the throttle, I don't think there is any amount of experience that would allow me to master it. The throttle is just too sensitive especially at the beginning of throttle operation.

I said that I don't have any problems riding at low speeds/rpms which is true. I can ride from stop light to stop light while staying within the speed limit without issue. That is unless I encounter a road imperfection that sends the bike lurching forward. That is a pretty good indicator I think that the throttle is overly sensitive.

Now riding fast in the twisties with frequent acceleration and deceleration is a whole other ball of wax. In this scenario the throttle wants to act like an on/off switch. It doesn't matter what gear I am in or what speed the engine is spinning at, it is very hard to quickly and smoothly go from a closed throttle to an open throttle.

And since I went from a stock muffler to a termi w/upmap without any noticeable change in throttle response, I always assumed it was a throttle problem only and not a fuel/air mixture problem. But others with far more experience than I think otherwise so who am I to argue?

I was getting my andreani cartridges installed yesterday and I asked the service guy at the counter how there could be so many different views on the subject of lean mixture and throttle response. How come at monster forums you see guys who have geared their bikes lower and claimed that that fixed the throttle response issue, and you have guys here who have geared their bikes higher and claimed that that has fixed their throttle response? How come I don't seem to be experiencing things the same as others claim to? He replied " Perception, everyone has a different perception."

But I think we are finally on the road to figuring out what is going on starting with PureEntropy's video and eisfeld and LuisPinzon saying that they are going to make videos as well. What we really need are videos from people who claim that they have fixed the problem and I would especially like to see the throttle tamer in action. Then we will be much more able to objectively see what is working and what is not. If just a small percentage of us invested in a cheap GoPro type video camera and put in the time and effort to post videos, there is nothing that this forum could not figure out.

Enough rambling, I have got to go try out my new andreani cartridges.
:)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Now riding fast in the twisties with frequent acceleration and deceleration is a whole other ball of wax. In this scenario the throttle wants to act like an on/off switch. It doesn't matter what gear I am in or what speed the engine is spinning at, it is very hard to quickly and smoothly go from a closed throttle to an open throttle.

And since I went from a stock muffler to a termi w/upmap without any noticeable change in throttle response, I always assumed it was a throttle problem only and not a fuel/air mixture problem. But others with far more experience than I think otherwise so who am I to argue?

:)
My bike in stock form rode great in the twisties but the minute I added a BMC air filter and SC Projects exhaust I noticed exactly what you describe here and had to be very careful on hitting the twisties at speed and it hit my confidence. I am not the only one, someone else who got the same exhaust went as far as putting the stock exhaust back on after experiencing the same. Soon as I had the new map a friend commented on how much faster I was hitting those curvy country lanes. I have no idea if a Booster plug would have sorted this issue out for me but the Rexxer map has. All 3 Rexxer maps on my unit smoothed out the fueling and it is worth the expense to me as I am able to switch from a mild map with 02 sensors enabled to one of the other 2 more aggresive maps without 02 sensors but with worse gas mileage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will try and make a video tomorrow weather permitting. Sorry I've been out the loop for a while. We have had a cold snap in ATL until recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks and sounds pretty good. Can you try one taking off and cruising without using any throttle (phone in the other hand, focussed on the gauge)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have around 7000km on the bike at the moment, last 4K with race Termi exhaust and fuel map installed by the dealer.
Ever since the installation of Termi exhaust, I have experienced loud popping on deceleration, just like many other users here on the forum.

This can be a little annoying at times, but OK, I can always try to bypass SAI or even get the Booster plug in order to reduce the "popping" right?

What worries me is that sometimes, during deceleration and downshifting I try to rev match and when I blip the throttle in order to increase revs for the downshift bike just makes a strange muffled sound and nothing happens – no increase in revs. In fact, it goes down to 800 - neutral revs. Bike does not stall or anything, just ignores the twist of the throttle and makes sometimes this sound. And if I try to do it again everything is OK.

Now, from what I understand from posts here on the forum, every bike is a tad different and these issues can be addressed with above mentioned. Should I go with SAI bypass? Do I order booster plug? Any other suggestions? Is my understanding correct, that this only happens in so called open loop, or can this be something else even?

At the moment, I am not convinced that dyno with PC5 or Rexxer is a good idea since reflashing ECU can (in EU) void the warranty..

Taking bike to the dealer is always an option, but I doubt they will find anything since I had no errors on dashboard and last time I was there with slipping clutch, they said everything is peachy, it is supposed to rev high, match (slip) and engage and revs afterwards down a little. That it is designed to do it like that.. So my confidence in them is rather low..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I need a suggestion!

I just passed today my driving lessons, got the cert and getting a new full throttle next Saturday.

I purchased a scorpion exhaust from UK, DUCATI Scrambler 800 15-Current to replace the stock full throttle exhaust, only for aesthetic and sound ( I prefer the scorpion). I have a problem though. my dealer is not telling me that if I do put that slip on exhaust I will void my 2 years warranty!

1) Is this normal from your dealer?

2) what would you do in my position, install the scorpion and may loose warranty or just postpone its installation for when warranty will be over, so 2 years from now?

3) Is this scorpion exhaust 100% fine without any need to remap the bike?

If I install it do I run the risk to ruin my new full throttle? or is it going to be more difficult/dangerous to ride?

any suggestion is more than welcome!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, the dealer is well within their rights to void the warranty if you install the slip-on. Pretty standard stuff the world over. They will likely honour non-engine related failures, but that stuff isn't what we worry about anyway.

It depends on your attitude to risk. Are you willing to take the financial knock if something goes wrong? I'm in the same boat as you - just ordered a Leo Vince and I will probably/most likely/definitely install it. I will monitor the spark plug colour carefully for a few hundred miles and put the OE exhaust back on if needed (or get a remap when one becomes available in my country). Also, you'll probably want to put the OE back on when you take it for a service just in case.

Common thoughts are the bike will run lean. How lean, I have no idea. Lean enough to damage the engine? No-one actually knows.

281 - 292 of 292 Posts