Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have replaced the stock exhaust system on the Scrambler with a freer flowing aftermarket unit that eliminates the stock catalytic converter - then a remap is certainly in order.

I don't care if your manufacturer of choice has stated "no remap required", as this is total bunk - they all lie (it would put a damper on their sales numbers otherwise).

The simple fact is this - running a freer flowing exhaust, without the CAT - will lean out your bike to almost dangerous levels. Running excessively lean on an air-cooled motor is not a smart thing to do. It raises exhaust and head temps considerably. Water cooled bikes can handle this temperature increase much more effectively, but not this bike. The Scrambler is already too lean in stock form, and if you make intake and/or exhaust mods you will lean it out even further.

Besides this obvious reason, there are also others. Adjusting the fueling will ensure that you are getting the most power out of your setup, and will also fix the many other fueling related "oddities" with this bike. It will run stronger, cooler and low end response will be dramatically improved (bye-bye "jerkiness", nothing but smooth power will remain).

I just got done spending almost an entire month dissecting the fuel delivery system and re-tuning my Scrambler - doing so has rewarded me with a MUCH smoother running bike, with greatly enhanced HP and torque - along with a much cooler running motor.

There are several ways you can accomplish much the same, ranging from a moderate investment in time, expertise required, and money - to a lot more of each (if you so desire). Here is a "rundown" of the options available at the time of this posting...

Piggyback Units
One of your options is to have someone install a "piggyback" type unit (like a Power Commander or similar).

Devices such as these are programmable boxes that sit behind you ECU. They replace the fuel mapping that is contained in the ECU with mapping of their own.

These type of units have some distinct disadvantages, though.

The Scrambler actually runs two different kinds of fueling systems. The first (and most basic) is a simple open loop system that relies on fuel mapping. The ECU monitors speed, rpm's and throttle position and delivers fuel based on a table (fuel map). The "piggyback" units replace the maps in the ECU with their own internal mapping in this scenario, delivering alterable amounts of fuel. If this was the only thing that affected fueling on tis bike, these would be more than adequate - but it's not the "only thing".

The Scrambler (like most modern bikes) also has a closed loop system in place. There are oxygen sensors in place that monitor rich or lean conditions present in the exhaust systems, and send feedback to the ECU. The ECU then adjusts fueling accordingly (but at MUCH too lean a state). This only happens when the throttle and rpm's are relatively stable, which can be often, and the piggyback units will NOT address this issue.

The other problem with these "boxes" is that if they fail, your bike will not run, leaving you stranded (and I've had one fail before).

A much better solution, IMO, is to reprogram the ECU itself. Doing so give you the most control over all of the systems, with the least potential for failure.

At this time, there is only one option (albeit with some "sub-options") to accomplish this - Rexxer.

Rexxer Tuning
With Rexxer, you can reprogram the ECU itself, altering the internal mapping, along with having control over a bunch of other parameters at the same time. You can choose to disable the "closed-loop" portion the system - the o2 sensors - if you wish, which greatly enhances overall "drive-ability".

You have 3 basic option in this scenario...

The first - and most simple - is to send them your ECU for re-flashing. There is a form that you fill out, listing all your mods & other options requested - and they reprogram your unit and ship it back within 48 hours. You will have new mapping that matches your particular setup - and have the option for them to disable the 02 system. This is the option that is suitable for most people, it requires no technical knowledge on your part and is very easy to do. The supplied mapping is VERY good, even though it was not tailored to your exact bike, and you can expect anywhere from 4-6 hp increase, with greatly enhanced drive-ability. The cost for this service is $300.

The second option is to take your bike to an authorized Rexxer dealer. They can reprogram the ECU to your EXACT bike, using a dyno. This is the way to get the most out of your individual setup. I have done this myself (I'm lucky to have access to a dyno - and years of tuning experience), and gained a whopping 9.5 HP over stock. The cost for this is variable.

The third option is to purchase a Rexxer "User" unit. This is a small "black-box" that interfaces with your ECU via the diagnostic port (cable is supplied). It comes with one map tailored to your setup (additional maps are optional). With this setup you get all the advantages of "option 1", with the added ability to alter other fueling parameters at any time. You can disable, or re-enable the 02 system for example, and clear error codes. You can also reset service indicators. Your original stock mapping is retained in the unit, and can be restored at any time. This cost for this option is $600.

I'm not affiliated with Rexxer in any professional way, and usually do not "gush" about vendors in the performance industry, but this has been simply one of the best experiences I have ever had in many years of doing this.

In the US, the people to contact about any of the Rexxer options is Redline Performance, located in Yorktown Virginia. They are a Ducati dealer, and the headquarters for Rexxer USA. Here is their contact info...

Redline Performance Motorsports
7331 George Washington Memorial Hwy, Yorktown, VA 23692
(757) 989-5000

David (the owner) is the one you want to speak to. He's a pretty busy guy, but always answers emails sent to "[email protected]".

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello

What about running a Scrambler with an aftermarket exhaust, but with a catalyser ? For example, Remus + KAT016 catalyser ?

According to your post and with the fact that the Termi Evo Line of the FT is sold without an USB re-map key, when both Termi Racing Line are sold with such key, I presume we may install an aftermarket exhaust with catalyser without re-mapping the ECU.

Am I right ?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I do plan to do something about the lean running when funds permit. I wonder how many miles you would need to do before any sort of damage is done if running an aftermarket can and no cat. Many including myself put just 4k miles on a bike annually

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello

What about running a Scrambler with an aftermarket exhaust, but with a catalyser ? For example, Remus + KAT016 catalyser ?

According to your post and with the fact that the Termi Evo Line of the FT is sold without an USB re-map key, when both Termi Racing Line are sold with such key, I presume we may install an aftermarket exhaust with catalyser without re-mapping the ECU.

Am I right ?
Refitting a different exhaust WITH a CAT will not lean you out excessively. You will still be lean, but not overly so.

Don't expect any performance gains, though - just "sound". And the low end fueling will still leave something to be desired.

Reactions: Rainer Zufal

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plan to do something about the lean running when funds permit. I wonder how many miles you would need to do before any sort of damage is done if running an aftermarket can and no cat. Many including myself put just 4k miles on a bike annually
Way too many variables to tell for sure, but prolly not in just 4000 miles.

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
Have you been tracking your fuel economy since the changes were made? I'm getting right at 50 mpg with my bike in stock form and would love to buy the Rexxer and get it to where it's fueling properly, but I'm curious what the hit is to fuel economy. It's not that important of a question. If your fuel economy fell from 50 to 40 mpg you'd only be spending about 150 dollars more on gas every 10k miles. But I was just curious because that's just me.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's early yet, but so far overall fuel economy has dropped about 3 mpg.

This was before I disabled the O2 system. Will know more soon.

But of course, this is not anywhere near a big concern of mine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: silverluxe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tony,

Thanks as always for your explanation of sometimes complicated processes to the average Joe.

I installed the Termi race line exhaust that had a USB up-map key. Up-map was installed by my dealer. Did this upmap change my ECU fuel settings? Bike might have actually ran a bit better before upmap was installed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post. I would be interested in two aspects and would be happy if you could tell a bit more about those:

1. Low speed fueling, the stock map is quite bad at low speeds with a lot of ON/OFF action going on. Did you completely fix this with the reflash?

2. Heat, the engine gets frickin hot during city riding. Painfully so even. How much of an improvement do you think can a richer fuel map provide?

Cheers

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tony,

Thanks as always for your explanation of sometimes complicated processes to the average Joe.

I installed the Termi race line exhaust that had a USB up-map key. Up-map was installed by my dealer. Did this upmap change my ECU fuel settings? Bike might have actually ran a bit better before upmap was installed.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you already have a remap. The dealer activated an alternate fuel mapping when your Termi was installed - this can be verified on the display by the term "RACE", when you initially turn on the ignition.

The 02 system, however, is still functional - so you still will be a wee bit lean - but nowhere near the danger zone.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the detailed post. I would be interested in two aspects and would be happy if you could tell a bit more about those:

1. Low speed fueling, the stock map is quite bad at low speeds with a lot of ON/OFF action going on. Did you completely fix this with the reflash?

2. Heat, the engine gets frickin hot during city riding. Painfully so even. How much of an improvement do you think can a richer fuel map provide?

Cheers
1. Yes, with the proper mapping this all goes away.

2. I reduced head temperatures by over 30 degrees. I'ts still an air-cooled motor, so it will throw off heat unlike a water-cooled bike, but cooler than stock.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Now what about bikes like the KTM duke that 'learn' after you let it sit 5 minutes at idle? Supposedly the ECU recalibrates itself or something along those lines...

When you had a look at the fuel mapping did you notice anywhere where Ducati has sealed off power? I know on throttle by wire bikes throttle output past certain RPMs becomes restricted/retarded...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now what about bikes like the KTM duke that 'learn' after you let it sit 5 minutes at idle? Supposedly the ECU recalibrates itself or something along those lines...

When you had a look at the fuel mapping did you notice anywhere where Ducati has sealed off power? I know on throttle by wire bikes throttle output past certain RPMs becomes restricted/retarded...
"Learning" functionality has been around for a while, I think Buell may have actually been the first to use this.

The Scrambler has similar functionality in the closed loop operation - it's referred to as "adaptive parameters". The ECU "learns" from the feedback coming back from the o2 sensors, and adjusts - but only in closed loop mode.

The problem is that it strives to be too lean (as it is programmed to in order to reduce emissions), and this "learning" makes things bad. If it was programmed to learn to alter fuel in the correct proportions (for performance) then it would be good - but it's simply not programmed that way.

As it stands right now, the best performance and drive-ability are obtained from turning this function off - by disabling all feedback from the o2 sensors, then resetting the adaptive parameters. Which can be done easily with a Rexxer User unit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tony (or anyone else), have you got any dyno charts showing the air fuel ratio of the Scrambler with standard or aftermarket mufflers? It would be nice to see the actual figures.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have charts, but without air/fuel numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Tony I may well buy the Rexxer kit that includes cable and user map as in EU I can get it for a lil over £360 ($555)

My understanding is the map that Rexxer have for the scrambler is in your opinion good enough and there is no need to go on a dyno to tune it up even more? I just want a smooth running bike with a nice power spread over the range. I assume I would benefit from a new air filter even though I aim to keep baffle in? Sorry have got a lil confused as so much has been said on the Rexxer. Just wondering if the Rexxer map provided is tuned for having a baffle in or out or is that one of the things they ask before sending you a map?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tony I may well buy the Rexxer kit that includes cable and user map as in EU I can get it for a lil over £360 ($555)

My understanding is the map that Rexxer have for the scrambler is in your opinion good enough and there is no need to go on a dyno to tune it up even more? I just want a smooth running bike with a nice power spread over the range. I assume I would benefit from a new air filter even though I aim to keep baffle in? Sorry have got a lil confused as so much has been said on the Rexxer. Just wondering if the Rexxer map provided is tuned for having a baffle in or out or is that one of the things they ask before sending you a map?
Okay, answers...

The only reason to buy a "User" unit (as opposed to having them reflash for you) is to have the ability to change things on your own - at any time. You can reload the stock map, clear error codes, reset service indicators & fool around with the 02 system.

The maps that I have seen so far are truly excellent - no need to go the "custom map" route, IMO - unless your mods are very extensive.

Yes, you would benefit from a freer flowing air filter - I would recommend the BMC unit - but NOT the "race" version of this filter.

When (and if) you have them reflash for you, you will fill out a form that specifies all of your setup - make/model of exhaust, baffle in/out, intake type, etc. - they will then furnish a map tailored to those needs.

If your geographic location allows for it, and you are not subject to emissions testing, then I HIGHLY recommend that you have them disable the O2 sensor system and clear parameters.

Hope this answers all your questions...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thanks Tony all questions answered. Now what remains is for me to see cost of remap vs kit out here.

Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So I was reading on the Rexxer website and read the following, not sure what they are saying or if it applies to Scrambler which uses the M3C I believe

RexXer „User“ using Siemens M3C / Mitsubishi Melco type-ECU

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: We wish to inform you that when using the RexXer „User“ with the Siemens ECU M3C for the Ducati models Monster 696/796/1100 + EVO (all versions) and Hypermotard 796/1100 EVO SP (all versions) and the Melco Mitsubishi ECU, as used for the Ducati MTS1200 (all versions), Diavel (all versions) and 1199 Panigale (all versions), you cannot read the standard mapping by using the OBD plug, because these types of ECU do not allow this function. The RexXer „User“ reads only a dummy includes the serial number which is stored in the ECU, to get's the access.

However, we can read all standard mappings of the affected models with a special process to be able to provide these files for free when buying a RexXer „User“ to play back if the standard file is needed in the future. This must then be written to the RexXer „User“ and programmed to the ECU after in the same way as a tuning-mapping. Full instructions of this operation are now included in the delivery content of the appropriate models!

Due to this, the RexXer „User“ cannot be automatically unlocked by the customers themselves, as was the case for previous ECU types in the past. If the RexXer „User“ is to be used for a different model, the standard mapping must first be played on to the ECU, as mentioned earlier and then the unit must be sent to the dealer or directly to Daniele Moto International. We will unlock the device free of charge and send it back

1 - 20 of 292 Posts