Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I returned my bike from the first service. - There is a change!
The gearbox 'sound' ;-) is now less dominant! I think it lowered about 1 to 2 dB.
I guess, that it's the different engine oil. - I am happy with that change!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it sounds a bit strange...
Mine FT sounds verry normal compaired to my other two Ducatis

Herzlich grüsst
Agusta

·
Registered
644 Posts
I returned my bike from the first service. - There is a change!
The gearbox 'sound' ;-) is now less dominant! I think it lowered about 1 to 2 dB.
I guess, that it's the different engine oil. - I am happy with that change!
Very happy to hear that!:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
noisy or not, at least yours shifts….

Just picked up a red Icon at the end of day Friday. By the time I got home(5 miles) It intermittantley took serious force to shift. I could still feel the lever imprint on the top of my foot ten minutes later haha. called the dealer immediately.. they were closing for the holiday weekend and said to go ahead and ride it and see if it breaks in. It has improved somewhat, sometimes it's as you would expect, sometimes it still doesnt want to go into the next gear. Its the inconsistancey that I find the most troubling and the thing that makes me think it could be seriously defective, not just tight. Has anybody else had this problem and had it resolved? I'm not a genius but I have owned bikes of all stripes(several Ducs) over 20 years of riding and this def is not a proper shifting bike.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable this way or that? Just wondering if that might help.

Sarah

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
Just picked up a red Icon at the end of day Friday. By the time I got home(5 miles) It intermittantley took serious force to shift. I could still feel the lever imprint on the top of my foot ten minutes later haha. called the dealer immediately.. they were closing for the holiday weekend and said to go ahead and ride it and see if it breaks in. It has improved somewhat, sometimes it's as you would expect, sometimes it still doesnt want to go into the next gear. Its the inconsistancey that I find the most troubling and the thing that makes me think it could be seriously defective, not just tight. Has anybody else had this problem and had it resolved? I'm not a genius but I have owned bikes of all stripes(several Ducs) over 20 years of riding and this def is not a proper shifting bike.
It shouldn't require that much force to shift. My red Icon shifts as easily as any of my other bikes and I could shift it bare foot if I had to. I get a nice klunk each upshift. Sixth gear sometimes feels more like a kah-chunk almost like a two stop shift, but the rest of em are smooth and easy. I haven't had a false neutral in the past 1000 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ya, adjusting the clutch cable was the first thing I tried, but it made no difference. Still, thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.
But…
I took it to the dealer today (on my trailer because i wasnt sure if I'd be dropping it off) and, of course, the bike worked as it should. Still just a a little stiff shifting, but if i wasnt hyper aware because of the earlier problems…I may not have thought anything about it. The mechanic rode it 2 miles and then i rode it to see if I could get it to act up, nothing. figures. But, I'm not complaining if the problem doesn't come back!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine has the same problem only between 5th and 6th gear, it requires some real force to gear up.. Still in break in progress though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
PS-Technik Teil 7 Getriebe und Schaltung - Motorradberatung - MOTORRAD

says:
Gentlest running in gears with helical teeth

The teeth of the gears are critical for the quietest possible running of the gear. Wherein the combination of pressure angle, addendum modification, module and tens of other factors is rather acted as a trade secret. The gentlest running unquestionably gears with a helical gearing. However, such transmission require an entirely different type of circuit, the power flow is produced not shift gears, but by so-called shift sleeves. The advantage of shifting sleeves: they can move extremely quickly and easily due to its light weight, which is why just laboring in racing with such transmissions. The drawback: The gear shafts build something longer than claw transmissions in which the complete gears are shifted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
for people who have a hard time to shift gears. Try to notice if the gears are easier to shift when the engine is cooled vs hot.

Second notice if it's particular difficult between certain shifts. Upshift/downshift, 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on...

lastly if generally always difficult, look at the oil level and if very high, try reducing it a bit and see if there is a difference.

if this doesn't help either, then take it back as it is something wrong with the bike.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts