Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down hard last night in Los Angeles.

I was riding home from work, heading down the Sunset Strip when a drunk pedestrian ran into traffic on Sunset Blvd and there wasn't enough time to stop. I hit her and we both went down. She was a little scraped up but luckily unhurt, she tried to leave the scene and it was all I could do to get her to stay. Sheriff and EMTs showed very quickly just as she was leaving. I was having neck, shoulder, and collarbone pain so I went to Cedar Sinai in an ambulance. I was wearing all my gear so that saved me. No broken bones, no road rash but I feel like I got hit by a Mack truck from hitting the pavement. It's hard to move around right now I'm so sore and my left hand is a little tingly. So glad I was wearing my gear. Entire front of my helmet is scraped and the front vent torn off. (If I hadn't been wearing a full face that would have been my chin), holes in the palms of my gloves, jacket shredded where the armor saved me, and a big chunk taken out of my right boot. It could have been much worse. My poor scrambler didn't fair very well. Only 1500 miles on her. Left tank panel and logo sheered off. Shifter mangled. Both front blinkers broken, headlight broken, passenger peg almost shaved off, bar end shaved off and bars are totaled, completely bent. Clutch lever torn off. Both mirrors broken. Probably lots more I haven't diagnosed yet.

I'm very lucky I wasn't hurt more and she's very lucky she got hit by a moto and not the cars that were on either side of me.

Now begins the nightmare of insurance and lawyers. My bike will be covered by my insurance but if they raise my premium as a result of the claim I don't think I'll be able to afford it anymore, I was already at my limit with a clean record.

· Registered
498 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that! Great job on wearing all your gear though - can't imagine how much more pain you'd be in without it! You're 100% right about the full face helmet. I too like the front of my head as much as the back...maybe even more! ;)

· Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
Crazy that drunk people are so much more invincible when involved in accidents. Lucky for them. Annoying that she was out in traffic though! Get better, and make sure you have insurance pay for any of your injuries since some of them may be ongoing :(

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some photos of gear and the bike. Could have been worse. I got the bike started today after fiddling with the bent shifter enough to get it into neutral. It fired right up fine, but I noticed after I turned it off I couldn't see any oil in the glass viewer. Oil pressure light went off like normal when it started. And it was only on it's side for a couple minutes and there was no leaked oil on the road. Any ideas?

Attachments

· Registered
23 Posts
Here's some photos of gear and the bike. Could have been worse. I got the bike started today after fiddling with the bent shifter enough to get it into neutral. It fired right up fine, but I noticed after I turned it off I couldn't see any oil in the glass viewer. Oil pressure light went off like normal when it started. And it was only on it's side for a couple minutes and there was no leaked oil on the road. Any ideas?
Thats quite some damage to the bike, but glad you made it through. Make sure the bike is not tilted or on the side stand when you see the oil level, The bike should be straight.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats quite some damage to the bike, but glad you made it through. Make sure the bike is not tilted or on the side stand when you see the oil level, The bike should be straight.
Bike was straight up and down. Even tried leaning it a little towards the side of the sight glass to see if it would fill and nothing.

· Registered
447 Posts
Glad that you are OK, and yes, the drunk pedestrian too.

I believe you are the first forum member here to be injured in an accident (or at least to tell us about it). I hope they are few and far between.

I'm glad to find out those tank panels are good for something, ha ha. It might have saved costly repairs to the gas tank.

I hope you heal up quickly, get your bike repaired and are back on the road shortly.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad that you are OK, and yes, the drunk pedestrian too.

I believe you are the first forum member here to be injured in an accident (or at least to tell us about it). I hope they are few and far between.

I'm glad to find out those tank panels are good for something, ha ha. It might have saved costly repairs to the gas tank.

I hope you heal up quickly, get your bike repaired and are back on the road shortly.
I was thinking that myself about the panels actually! The paint on the tank itself was fine. In fact, I was pretty impressed that no major parts really made contact. I think the tall, wide bars helped take the brunt. No rash on the forks, swing arms, or the engine.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
So glad you are OK. Hope the insurance process goes smoothly, but hang on to every scrap of paperwork just in case it drags on. Still no sight of oil in the glass?

Sarah

· Registered
95 Posts
Brantman1, so glad you're not badly injured, and a real shame about your bike. Drunk pedestrians are a real problem. She should have to pay for everything, although she probably hasn't any money.

The damage to your gear does highlight how cordura gives very little protection compared to good quality leather. Another option is the kevlar stuff at Motoport. I'm about to order a one-piece mesh suit from there. Expensive but as protective as leather. The damage to the palms of your gloves is making me think again re: my light summer mesh gloves and Roland Sands cruiser gloves I bought last year. They'd probably disintegrate in an off.

I hope the insurance goes through without a hitch and you can screw some money out of the woman. Why should you be the one to lose out?

Get better soon, and don't let this put you off riding.

· Registered
350 Posts
I don't know how it works in the states but here I'd be very tempted to not claim via my insurance but have a local repair shop work up a quote and have the party at fault pay the shop for the repair under the threat of being sued. I can't see much more than about two thousand dollars worth of damage there? It keeps if out of the insurance system which benefits you... in some cases the other party may want to settle directly for other reasons as well.

· Registered
95 Posts
I don't know how it works in the states but here I'd be very tempted to not claim via my insurance but have a local repair shop work up a quote and have the party at fault pay the shop for the repair under the threat of being sued. I can't see much more than about two thousand dollars worth of damage there? It keeps if out of the insurance system which benefits you... in some cases the other party may want to settle directly for other reasons as well.
Assuming the other party has the money.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brantman1, so glad you're not badly injured, and a real shame about your bike. Drunk pedestrians are a real problem. She should have to pay for everything, although she probably hasn't any money.

The damage to your gear does highlight how cordura gives very little protection compared to good quality leather. Another option is the kevlar stuff at Motoport. I'm about to order a one-piece mesh suit from there. Expensive but as protective as leather. The damage to the palms of your gloves is making me think again re: my light summer mesh gloves and Roland Sands cruiser gloves I bought last year. They'd probably disintegrate in an off.

I hope the insurance goes through without a hitch and you can screw some money out of the woman. Why should you be the one to lose out?

Get better soon, and don't let this put you off riding.
Yeah it was all lightweight protection for sure. I was only going about 20mph when I hit the pavement, I don't think that protection would have lasted very long if I hit it doing 60. Now I cringe extra hard when I see the guys in t-shirts blasting through traffic on their gixxers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.