Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Scrambler with about 6k miles on it. It's my first ducati so it might be a ducati thing but I don't know...

The engine makes clicking, ticking sounds when I accelerate hard. It actually sound just like 2 pieces of metal being lightly hit together.

It only happens over about 6K rpm at full(ish) throttle. It's not rpm related as it wont tick at high rpm if not accelerating and it also wont tick at full throttle below 6-7k.

I don't loose power of feel anything weird when it happens. It does not sound awfully wrong either... It's just strange.The sound is about as loud as the ''normal'' engine sound and is not very constant...

Is anybody having that sound?

I tried switching brand and grade of gas and it did not change a thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

I have a Scrambler with about 6k miles on it. It's my first ducati so it might be a ducati thing but I don't know...

The engine makes clicking, ticking sounds when I accelerate hard. It actually sound just like 2 pieces of metal being lightly hit together.

It only happens over about 6K rpm at full(ish) throttle. It's not rpm related as it wont tick at high rpm if not accelerating and it also wont tick at full throttle below 6-7k.

I don't loose power of feel anything weird when it happens. It does not sound awfully wrong either... It's just strange.The sound is about as loud as the ''normal'' engine sound and is not very constant...

Is anybody having that sound?

I tried switching brand and grade of gas and it did not change a thing.
It may just be the flutter of the desmodromic valves.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is this a new thing or has it being making this noise since new? Probably is the desmo clatter, but if it's new...you may want to have it looked at.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Figured I'd post this, single overhead cam desmo (the idea was to eliminate valve float at higher RPMs, allowing more "extreme" valve timing) like the Scrambler:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this a new thing or has it being making this noise since new?
Since new, I think it got a little worse when I changed the oil for motul 300V at 4k miles. But I don't know. It's not like I was reving the crap out of it every day :).

It may just be the flutter of the desmodromic valves.
YUP, with an aftermarket air filter it gets even louder :).
I thought it was a ducati thing :) I will ask the dealer about it when I go for the 7500 miles service. Sadly I don't thrust them, at all.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Since new, I think it got a little worse when I changed the oil for motul 300V at 4k miles. But I don't know. It's not like I was reving the crap out of it every day :).

I thought it was a ducati thing :) I will ask the dealer about it when I go for the 7500 miles service. Sadly I don't thrust them, at all.
The lighter the oil (300v is very thin) will increase the noise due to its viscosity. I wouldn't run 300v in my Scrambler, it's meant for keeping race engines alive or those under high stress. I use it in my Pani, but I'm just going to use Motul 7100 10w-40 for this bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't run 300v in my Scrambler, it's meant for keeping race engines alive or those under high stress.
Yeah...I was initially going to use Amsoil but that thing is HARD to find here. The only synthetic oil they had at the store was the 300V and I was leaving the next day for a long trip.

Also, the other day I saw a lot of bubbles through the sight glass. I really don't like this oil...

I hate switching oils but I will switch to amsoil at the 7.5k service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly what the original poster had on my 2017 Icon.

Just a couple of ticks/clicks as I accelerate past 6,000rpm. The bike feels perfect, and sounds amazing otherwise!

The catalytic plate/mosquito bat post sounds interesting. Just wondering why other people don't have it if it's normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts