Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
x2

Very innovative use of stuff laying around the shop!
I like the idea that we can now discuss "seat pressure" on top of tire pressure ;) To be honest I needed 2 attempts, first time I did not fold it right and it bulged the sides. And it took me longer to find that f...ing tube in my cave, I knew I had it somewhere... But now it looks and feels good! Just try, if you don´like it pull it out no damage done.

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
Yeah, I could pull the staples and insert some sort of memory foam in the 'dip' I think. It's nice that the seat is pretty simple and I think it's also a good looking seat.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yeah, I could pull the staples and insert some sort of memory foam in the 'dip' I think. It's nice that the seat is pretty simple and I think it's also a good looking seat.
It is very nice looking, agreed. Doing what you said would keep the stock look too, which in my mind is the best way to appreciate such a beautiful motorcycle. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I almost feel like buying rubber membrane and making a seat shaped 'whoopie cushion' using this principal. Getting the seat at least an inch higher would feel a lot better to me. I'm only 5'9" and 30" inseam, but the bike feels tiny to me, like I'm riding someone's BMX bicycle around. That's not a bad thing since it keeps your center of gravity down, but it'd feel better to me if the seat was a bench instead of a hammock.
Problem with that rubber or PVC bladder DIY is to get it airtight. You would need some rubber/plastic welding machinery I guess. I am thinking about refining the tube method by sewing the tube into a strong fabric quilted pouch (with stitches between the tube rows) to force it´s shape even at high/ hard pressures. But first I will play a little with pressures in the naked tube... I do not want to open the tacks. This is my first new bike in a long lifetime and I never had a bike seat without cracks before :)

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
I think your approach would probably work the best. Control the shape you want sort of like an Air Hawk stuffed under the seat cover.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm 6' and also thinking about this becoming an issue. I'm sure that given a little time, there will be a TON of aftermarket seats that get you sitting higher. Worse case, Sargent or Corbin can make a custom higher seat to give more leg room.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Don´t worry. I am your size. The bike feels small and nimble when you sit on it, but this is exactly what makes riding it so sexy! I have clocked 5300 km now and I find it one of the most comfy and relaxed touring bikes I have ever ridden... Knees are a bit bend, but the upright position with the high stock handle just totally unstresses my back.
BTW, I am sitting a bit higher with my inflated seat which is nice. However, it is harder. Need to ride some more and make up my mind. I can just let the air out after all :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
182 and found it a little cramped on the test ride, knees to high and a pain in the back after about 20min :( already thinking about raising the seat and lowering the pegs

·
Registered
97 Posts
Staples

Tried alepplew's technique. Straightens it out a bit but crams into the cover.

In the process spent some time messing with it. I agree with some of the others that it's potentially more the shape than height per se. The reason is its much more comfortable if you sit further back on the seat where it's not so narrow. But you can't do it because the slope pushes you forward onto the narrow bit, which is not only less comfortable but cramps your knees (sometimes I have to stop just to unlock my knees).

It would be pretty simple I think to build up the front with some foam from the local foam shop. The problem is you'd have to pull the staples to allow extra space under the cover.

Anyone have any ideas on how to reattach the cover in such a way that it won't subsequently tear?

I'll probably have to fork out for the comfort seat but if I can avoid another $400+ It would be good.

Ideas? :confused:

I´m only 183 cm / 6´ but sometimes I wish to sit an inch or so higher for less knee bend. So I had a crazy idea: Why not stuff a bicycle tube into the seat and blow it up. I did it today and it works like a charm. Higher and super comfy.
No need to open anything since there is a big hole at the notch in front underneath where you can stuff things between foam and hard plastic. I pushed in one side first, then the other, with a wooden stick. Now I have to find the right compromise between height and ungainly bulging... 20 min 3 $

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know that Seat Concepts is going to make a "tall" option for these bikes, hopefully available soon. If you could get their foam and shave it down to current proportions, maybe you can fit the original seat cover over it as well as get rid of that annoying bump nobody seems to enjoy?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts