Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the interior diameter or size of the stock pipe where the canister actually fits up to? Looking to get a slip-on fabricated and I cant seem to figure it out.....? Anybody measure their midpipe on any of their aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I.D. of original and Termi mufflers where they fit to the original header pipe is 45 mm. (1 3/4 inch)

that would make the O.D of the header pipe 45 mm, so take a couple of mill of that for the I.D. gives you about 43 mm,
(1 5/8 inch)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I.D. of original and Termi mufflers where they fit to the original header pipe is 45 mm. (1 3/4 inch)

that would make the O.D of the header pipe 45 mm, so take a couple of mill of that for the I.D. gives you about 43 mm,
(1 5/8 inch)
The stock header pipes have sort of outer sleeve that will "sandwich" the mufflers (or midpipe) between two layers. If mounting in the same fashion using the factory header pipe, both the ID and OD matter - the ID of the stock muffler is indeed 45mm while the OD is 48mm. Going a little thinner will work - my replacement midpipe seemed to be thinner walled, but I didn't measure it. However, going thicker - resulting in an OD larger than 48mm - will not work.

If you want to mount entirely into the header pipe (ignoring the outer sleeve), then the above is likely correct - the header absolute ID should be about 43mm. (The 45/48 on the muffler is definitely correct, I checked the one I just took off of mine last weekend.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys, got my hands on a piper caliper. Going to measure tonight...not that I'm doubting the measurements just feel like tinkering some. This bike is so much different then the iron sportster I sold. If you don't mind me asking where did you get the mid pipe you ended up using?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts