Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm looking at buying a 2015 Scrambler Icon so I'm new here. I'm a little worried about tire options. The best I can find seem to be sport touring, no true sport tires. This will be my first truly track-capable bike and want to take it out a couple times next year. I'm coming off a 2016 Duke 390 that had Metzeler M7 tires stock, and now has the incredible Bridgestone S22s.

What are the sportiest tires I can get on the 18 inch front wheel (110/80-18)? It looks like Angel GTs may be the best, but I was really hoping for something more like Diablo Rossos. The Bridgestones only come in r17 size so they're out. I can also get Metzeler Z8 which may be slightly worse than the Angels, or Avon Spirit ST if I'm willing to accept a speedo that reads quite a bit higher than the actual speed (120/70-18), or Metzeler Roadtec 01 or Pirelli Sport Demons if I'm willing to accept a slightly narrower tire (100/90-18). I'm leaning toward the Sport Demons if it's ok to drop down on width by 10mm.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, and any old sport touring tires will do for my first few track outings, but since this bike is 150 lbs heavier and 30 hp stronger than my Duke, I want to make sure I've got enough grip that I don't underestimate the weight and power and lose traction.

Also, if there are any reasonably priced tubeless 17" wheels I can just swap onto the front, I would happily consider that option to be able to mount sportier tires. But it looks like those options run $1500+ per wheel. If I found a used set of Cafe Racer wheels, I could modify them to be tubeless, but nobody is selling those used yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't seen the Racetecs in that size! But I can't seem to find them anywhere online in r18, so maybe there's a shortage or Metzeler hasn't gotten them to the US yet.

I'm leaning toward the 01s and going just a bit off size, but my second choice is probably the Z8.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts