Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My scrambler won't start because the display keeps saying the kick stand is down. This happened before and turning the bike on/off a few times and kicking the stand up and down seemed to have fixed the issue for about a week.

The problem has come back and and just doesn't register as kick stand being up.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Hoping for a few quick things I can check myself before paying for the dealership to come out and fix it.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's probably the micro switch that is located on the side stand pivot mount.

Quite a few people have posted about the issues they have experienced pointing to the same thing.

At a pinch, if the switch is completely unserviceable you can short circuit the wires out to get the bike going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Even if you bought it used it may still be under the Ducati warranty and may also be included in the recall. A Ducati service dept. can use your VIN to check. I did that last week for the one I bought used and I was given its service history and no outstanding recalls as of last week before this new one for the kickstand bolt & nut.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks, Neil. I punched in the VIN at safercar.gov and it came up 0 recalls. I'll give it a little while and check again, in case they haven't had time to post a full listing of the bikes. I'll probably put in a call to the dealer any way, just to make sure.

Sarah

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, Neil. I punched in the VIN at safercar.gov and it came up 0 recalls. I'll give it a little while and check again, in case they haven't had time to post a full listing of the bikes. I'll probably put in a call to the dealer any way, just to make sure.

Sarah
Sarah,
I don't know if you checked again recently, but I just got my recall letter for this issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got my letter a few weeks back, in the letter it asked for you to notify them if you had sold the bike already and it give them the details of the new owner so they can contact them
My bike was almost due for my Desmo service anyway so got it fixed up at the same time - I hadn't seen any issues on my bike with the side-stand but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don't know if I'll get a letter since I bought the bike used, but it's now listed on safercar.gov. The nearest dealer in Nashville said I'm welcome to ride on down just as soon as they have the bolts in stock.

Sarah

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello
I don't know if I'll get a letter since I bought the bike used, but it's now listed on safercar.gov. The nearest dealer in Nashville said I'm welcome to ride on down just as soon as they have the bolts in stock.
I'm pretty sure that you won't get a letter from Ducati because they have no solution to know that the bike's owner has changed. Except if the previous owner returns back to Ducati the letter he will receive, with your own coordinates...

But, any Ducati dealer can get access to the bike history and tell you if it needs a recall.

I bought my first Ducati ST2 as a used bike and my dealer told me that it needed a recall, which he performed at the first service after buying.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Sarah

There is a recall on certain Scramblers produced between 2015-2017. Mine is a 16 and gave me problems before the recall came out. I cut the wires to the stand sensor and spliced them to all ways read the stand is up. The problem is the bolts holding the kick stands would come loose(not off) and cause the sensor to not travel with the stand. Rode my 16 Icon around till my recall letter came because my Ducati dealer didn't get the distribution of VINs until after I fixed my problem. Anyway, take your bike in since there is a recall and it is covered by warranty. I told my dealer mechanic I cut the wires and it did not affect my warranty. They replaced the bolt but I still my sensor spliced the way I want it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, not many Scramblers in my area have had the issue or haven't had it reported to my particular dealer yet. The sensor is just an annoyance to me though I understand why Ducati placed a sensor there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts