Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the first articles I ever read about the Scrambler mentioned that it had a relatively low default seat height, and then would also have an even lower option.

The "low seat" has now popped up for sale as an accessory: Ducati Scrambler Lowered Seat: 96880171A

But it looks TERRIBLE compared to the other seats!

Do you think the classic or enduro "covers" could be applied to this seat? I would love having the lower seat without giving up the classic look.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am getting the low seat and i think it looks great! Much better compared to the black icon seat. But i wanted a low seat with the classic look so i'm getting it covered with brown leather instead. It's pretty easy, just find a shop and choose the kind of leather you want and they'll cover it for a nice price.
It is kind of disappointing that ducati does not offer the low seat option for specific versions. They basically force you to a plain black seat if you're short and riding any of the versions other than the Icon. But of course they are probably not going to sell that many lowered seats so the cost of making every versions lowered seat didn't worth it. At least it is an easy fix to change the cover yourself and there are so many possibilities that way.

You can also get your classic seat shaved which would be the cheapest option and maybe the best looking since its the original one you're looking for.

·
Registered
644 Posts
One of the first articles I ever read about the Scrambler mentioned that it had a relatively low default seat height, and then would also have an even lower option.

The "low seat" has now popped up for sale as an accessory: Ducati Scrambler Lowered Seat: 96880171A

Do you think the classic or enduro "covers" could be applied to this seat? I would love having the lower seat without giving up the classic look.
WHEW, that is ugly. I borrowed my buds vstrom and I am 5 7' with 30 inch inseam...maybe 29 inch. I am by far on my tipee, tipee toes. After the first day, a short 2 hour ride, I was fine and didn't care about height. Just had to make sure to never park in a slightly pitched forward parking space. So, my point is...I feel anyone will get used to the height. I did and now no problem riding anything. And in no way shape or from would I consider myselg a pro or super-experienced. Definitely a middle of the roader. Next an adventure ktm at 35.5 inches of seat height....just kidding!;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am getting the low seat and i think it looks great! Much better compared to the black icon seat. But i wanted a low seat with the classic look so i'm getting it covered with brown leather instead. It's pretty easy, just find a shop and choose the kind of leather you want and they'll cover it for a nice price.
It is kind of disappointing that ducati does not offer the low seat option for specific versions. They basically force you to a plain black seat if you're short and riding any of the versions other than the Icon. But of course they are probably not going to sell that many lowered seats so the cost of making every versions lowered seat didn't worth it. At least it is an easy fix to change the cover yourself and there are so many possibilities that way.

You can also get your classic seat shaved which would be the cheapest option and maybe the best looking since its the original one you're looking for.
To be honest, I think it's pretty amazing that they even offer a lower seat. I mean, I'm *really* short for a guy (165cm) and I've never ridden anything as comfortable as the Scrambler. The standard seat is already very low and should be fine for most riders. For the very, very, very short ones, there is the extra-low seat but the customer base probably simply is not big enough to justify different styling options given the unusual versatility of the standard seat.

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
With time there's probably going to be a lot of seat options from the regulars like Corbin, Sargent, etc...

This seat looks like a 'dirt bike' seat to me. Plastic pan, staples holding the vinyl to it... I'm half planning to make my own custom seat cover out of nicer quality vinyl if I'm not happy with the Icon seat. I've made seat covers for other bikes and this one doesn't look that complicated to pattern for a new cover. I know how to do tuck and roll as well if I went the retro looking route. Then to top it off you print out a DUCATI sticker in vinyl and apply it to the back of the seat and peel out the actual font and leave the surrounding vinyl as a stencil. Then spray paint the logo with white vinyl spraypaint so you get a cool factory look.

I'd honestly like this font on the back of my seat anyway.

This is my former TW200 seat that I redid because I wanted it in black and gray.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm 5'10" and find the height great but I'm not a huge fan of the standard seat on my Icon.
It's too hard for one thing!
I've always thought ( right from the test ride) that it pushes me too far forward and the pillion handles are pretty useless, it feels like you'd get your fingers trapped if you ever needed to hold on tight
I like the look of the low seat and the Full Throttle but I wouldn't risk buying one as they probably suffer from the same faults.
Im going to keep an eye on what's available and change if the right thing comes along but I doubt I will be a Ducati seat
Pete

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
Yeah, I run into that on almost ANY motorcycle that has a stepped seat. Where the engineers want you to sit is way too far forward for my comfort. And I'm only 5'9" tall with a 30" inseam.

That's why I love riding vintage bikes with flat bench seats. I get to decide where I'm sitting. I have a Corbin gunfighter (solo seat) on my Kawasaki and it lets me sit back where I want to be and it's built for big fat American butts. If they could somehow make one for the Scrambler I'd probably consider it even though they're rock hard. I actually prefer the hard Corbin seat to something too soft.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't think this seat is particularly ugly or anything. I do wonder how comfortable it would be since it is thinner than the stock seat. Would be nice if it we could see it actually installed on the bike instead of just as a stand alone item.

·
Registered
311 Posts

I think it looks pretty much the same as the Icon seat, but lower :). I can't decide whether to go for this one or to have mine sculpted, hopefully there will be one in at my dealers soon and I can try! The stock seat isn't the most comfy so it might be an idea to have mine sculpted and perhaps a gel insert put in, if the lowered seat feels too hard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.