Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Scrambler Interest- How Old Are You?

88K views 207 replies 175 participants last post by  Mr Zeppelin 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This bike is being pushed in many ways. It's a new riders option, a Hipster bike, a bike replicating the underground "tracker" style. It seems to be marketed to a demographic of younger riders to get them on this bike.

What is interesting to me is that I want this bike and I'm 52 years old. That's far from the marketing campaigns target. My friend asked me why I wanted this bike. Sort of asked, "What's the big deal?" My reply was the ol' "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"...

That got me thinking. Why do I want this bike? I have a number of fine machines. What triggers the lust for this bike? And why is this young persons bike hitting my bulls-eye?

I think it is because I look forward to a bike that replicates my old 79 Bonni. The simple pleasure of an engine with character bolted to a lightweight package. No bells and whistles. And no clip-ons either. Yes there is the FZ-07,09 that are awesome bikes and I was looking at them as well. But this bikes tracker style hits a big bulls eye for me. Right down to the blacked out mag wheels. I hope it wheelies like a flat tracker. If it does I will be a happy camper.

How old are you. What is it about this bike that grabs you and pulls you in?

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm 58, and been riding for 43 years. I had all my nickels and pennies saved up for a Monster 796, and was waiting for my dealer to receive a black one, when I wrecked my R1200GS in June. While in the hospital I heard that this Scrambler was to finally become a reality. Since I was going to modify the Monster anyway, and the Scrambler ergos are more friendly to my newly reconstructed knee, it was an easy choice to make.
I might take it to my suspension shop anyway, but I'm going to ride it first before I decide.
I'm wondering if I can get a lowering kit for the pegs, or have to make my own?

The marketing campaign is a bit of a turn-off for me

#185 ·
^ ^ ^ That was me, waaay back on page 1 of this thread 2 years ago. ^ ^ ^

I actually declined delivery of the Urban Enduro when it finally showed up 18 months ago. I didn't like the suspension (or lack of suspension for a "scrambler"), so I got something more dirt capable. 18 months and 3 bikes later, I have a new Desert Sled on the way after seeing and sitting on one at the show in Long Beach last Friday.

Reactions: Preuling
#4 ·
51 at the moment.

I started riding in Trials events (in the UK) at 13 and then on the road at 16. There have only been a few years that I've not owned a bike of some description.

I intend to keep riding until I drop!

Cheers,

FatRob

#5 ·
I'm 38. The Scrambler Icon I ordered will not be my first bike, and like JustKip I was considering a Monster before discovering the Scrambler. While I do have a beard (I've had it for 8+ years) and wear flannel (hey, I live in Minnesota), I don't wear skinny jeans and I'm not a hipster. I'm probably not far off their demographic though.

Stepping on my soapbox... I also have far less of a problem with people that might be labeled as hipsters as I do with the term and the people doing the labeling. I'm not sure why some people have so much hate and anger toward the demographic. I didn't even realize it was as bad as it is until the whole Scrambler whirlwind and the backlash to it that I see so thick in the comments on every single article. People need to lighten up and not worry so much about what other people wear, what music they listen to, and how they like to go about their life. Stepping down off my soapbox...

What pulled me in on this bike is what I see as the simplicity and casualness of it. I had Triumph before, but wanted something more sporty this time around (and specifically wanted a Ducati). I was pretty much all in on a used Monster, with my only hesitation being that it was just a tad more sporty than I had in mind. I was just waiting for early next year to start the real hunt for the perfect yellow one.

The funny thing is, since I don't really follow motorcycles much, I didn't even know the Scrambler existed until an article popped up on Jalopnik on December 11th. It only took me until December 18th (the day before my birthday) to go in and put down a non-refundable deposit on one. Maybe I'm a little impulsive, but I knew immediately it was the bike I wanted.

Now I have several months of Minnesota winter to endure while I obsess about it. :)

#6 ·
Stepping on my soapbox... I also have far less of a problem with people that might be labeled as hipsters as I do with the term and the people doing the labeling. I'm not sure why some people have so much hate and anger toward the demographic. I didn't even realize it was as bad as it is until the whole Scrambler whirlwind and the backlash to it that I see so thick in the comments on every single article. People need to lighten up and not worry so much about what other people wear, what music they listen to, and how they like to go about their life. Stepping down off my soapbox...
BRAVO!!!
I'm a former 1%er and wouldn't hesitate to ride with my hipster co-worker in his neatly trimmed beard and skinny jeans (whatever that is), even if he bought the plaid tank panels (for the Scrambler he can't afford)

I was pretty much all in on a used Monster, with my only hesitation being that it was just a tad more sporty than I had in mind.
I'm actually considering switching the cams for the 87HP Monster cams, and adding the Akra exhaust, for better performance :D

#7 ·
I'm 31 and I've been riding since I was 12. I appreciate every single type of bike and have owned everything from 80cc two stroke dirt bikes to 1500cc cruisers. My favorite bike so far has been the Monster (had 6 Monsters but the 796 is my fav) since it's fast, but not too fast, comfortable but not too relaxed, a Ducati but not over the top expensive, exclusive (relatively) yet accessible, easy to ride but still has a lot of character, and I find it very attractive and sounds amazing. The Scrambler is exactly all of those things but maybe even more exaggerated. I'm so over the general direction of sport motorcycles in the last 2 decades which are all about going to the extreme edge of performance where all the horsepower is up at the highest 10% of the rev range, and you feel like you don't deserve to ride it unless you're scuffing up the pucks on your leather suit every ride. To me, that's only fun sometimes, so the Scrambler will be a bike that's fun 90% of the time and will fill the majority of riding desires I have while being simple, inexpensive, cool looking and still a Ducati ;)

#8 ·
I am 52.
Scrambler will be the 10th Ducati i buy New.
I am a Ducati-Fan since i was a child, and have seen and heared
the 750ss oft my neighbour.
Cheers

#11 ·
I'm 37. I've only ridden for 8 years or so-- a KLR650, before that, a KLX250--lots of on/off road riding.

The Scrambler is a motorcycle distilled down to its essence. That is, of all the production bikes out there, the scrambler best captures the spirit of motorcycle riding. It has all the usable power you need to have a blast riding, unless your riding requires a track or a singletrack. And for some reason, I absolutely love the horrid green/brown color combo of the U Enduro.

#12 ·
I'll be 77 when I take delivery of my Full Throttle. My present bike is a Yamaha MT-01, which is a great bike apart from being extremely top heavy. I've mulled over a Monster 1100evo for some time but was unsure on the riding position. When I saw the Scrambler at the NEC, I knew it was the bike for me. It takes me back to the Gold Flash and Road Rocket I had, before I switched to cars a long time ago. With the flat track style, this is a real looker, which clinched the deal. It won't have the outright acceleration of the MT, but as I can only use that a fraction of the time, I'm hoping a test ride will prove good enough to satisfy my needs.

#13 ·
I'm 68. I've been riding for 52 years and have owned 50 bikes including 3 Ducatis. I'm selling my Triumph Scrambler to get the Ducati Scrambler. My other bike is a BMW R1200GS.

Ironically, I've come full circle in 52 years. In 1962, when the Ducati Scrambler was introduced I learned to ride on my friend's Ducati and his Dad's BMW. So come this Spring when I take delivery of my Scrambler, it'll be like starting all over again.

Ain't life grand ?

#15 ·
I'm 35 and have been riding Harley's for the last 5 years or so... Got tempted by the Diavel when it first launched but then I realized I'd probably get in trouble as its a bit too quick for road use!
Sold my last bike in May since I wasn't using it much after becoming a dad last year, and even though we have another baby on the way my awesome wife surprised me by ordering me an Urbam Enduro for Xmas! I guess I must have spolen about it a fair bit and she just wanted me to change the topic!!!

#16 ·
I'm 35 and have been riding Harley's for the last 5 years or so... Got tempted by the Diavel when it first launched but then I realized I'd probably get in trouble as its a bit too quick for road use!
Sold my last bike in May since I wasn't using it much after becoming a dad last year, and even though we have another baby on the way my awesome wife surprised me by ordering me an Urbam Enduro for Xmas! I guess I must have spoken about it a fair bit and she just wanted me to change the topic!!!
Wow! She's a keeper! Not many women in the world who would buy their husbands a bike. Never mind one with a baby on the way.

Best of luck with the bike and the new baby on the way.

#19 ·
I'm 37. I've been riding since I started with dirt bikes at 7. I've always had a variety of motocross and woods bikes. Interestingly, all of my street bikes have been designed by Tamburini, beginning with a 748 in '98 and including a couple 916s, a couple MV Agusta F4s, and two Cagiva Mitos. My dad has always had a variety of bikes that I also ride, mostly Triumphs, a couple Harleys, a Monster, etc.

The skinny jeans crowd is younger than I am and never understood it. I'm not sure what generation are doing the new "lumbersexual" thing. The whole "land of joy" hipster marketing campaign turns me off. I didn't think that that crowd would be into bikes, actually. However, it's no a big deal and I tend to agree with a comment I read somewhere that all of motorcycling outside of 3rd world countries is a lifestyle thing of one sort or another. What's worse, Ducati marketing towards hipsters or Ducati marketing towards squids?

I ordered an Icon in red because it looks like a fun simple and elemental bike to use around town. It also kind of reminds me of the Yamaha DT250 enduro that my dad had when I was born. Whatever the marketing, the bike looks like it should be fun.

#20 ·

I work with a few in the target demo and to say they are nonpulsed is an understatement. Granted they may not be in motorbike people, but regardless its a question of money, and the money would rather be spent on reds and dinner ;)

Does this thread look like the marketing is working?

#22 ·
I'd suggest the target demographic for the marketing are not the beautiful people we see in the adverts, rather it is people who wish they were them...(even if we'd rather not admit it...) Hence the gap in ages between the 'models' and the actual purchasers...
...and to answer the question as to whether the campaign works...absolutely it does, even if we may say we hate it...

#32 ·
You really think the people ordering the bikes want to be like the "beautiful people" in the ads? Reading this thread, it seems to me that most of the folks ordering are bikers. Not biker wannabees. As a biker who will be 72 when I get a Classic this year, I will be buying the bike in spite of the doofus-oriented ads (and because my first good bike, back in 1967, was a Ducati and I'm betting that this one will be a great bookend). The compelling ad was the one where a guy who could actually ride showed what the bike was capable of in the right hands.

#23 ·
48 (just!), female and the Scrambler FT will be my second Ducati. Started riding dirt bikes when I was 16. Past bikes: GPX250, ZX6R, Gladius, Street Triple, Iron 883, 48.

Currently have a 2014 696 which I've blinged up and I love. Will never get rid of her. Such an easy and fun bike to ride. Husband rides an 899 Panigale and a MV Agusta Brutale.

Saw the Scrambler and instantly fell in love with the FT.

As I'm short, it's all about seat height for me. Have a bit of a dodgy back now too so the days of riding supersports are out.

Do I *need* another bike? Nope.

Do I *want* a Scrambler (and can reach the ground on one)? Hells yes.

Kids are older and doing their own thing. We work hard for our money and bikes are what we choose to spend it on.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm the same Mandi. At 52 do I really need a new bike? No! Do I want a scrambler? Oh yeh!
I have just started riding motorbikes about 4 months ago for something new to learn and now have become hooked. I currently have a Ninja 300 which is the bike I purchased to learn on. It's a fun and easy bike to ride but just isn't the style of bike that suits me. As soon as I saw the scrambler, I thought, this is the bike I want as a keeper. I don't even think I will need or want to customize it. I like them just the way they are. A simple looking machine. I just need to add the surfboard rack.
I haven't placed a deposit down on the Classic, which is, at this stage, my favorite. I keep changing my mind every time I see a new photo of an Icon and FT. I'm going to wait until I see them in the flesh, then decide.

#25 ·
I don't even think I will need or want to customize it. I like them just the way they are.
Famous last words!

When I bought my Monster I said "I like it stock, I'm not going to do any mods apart from Termis". Yeahhhh... I'm at about $3000 worth of stuff (monster art, carbon, Rizoma goodies) for her and still going.

Having said that, my Full Throttle comes pretty much out of the box as I want it. The only thing I want to add is the little headlight grille thing (doesn't stop me thumbing through the accessories catalogue constantly though!)

#28 ·
62. I had an original scrambler in 1968. I rode it for 2 years until a VW Bus ran out in front of me and I hit it at 40mph. Actually, since the VW was more or less a tin can, it absorbed most of the shock and I wasn't hurt, but it was the end of my scrambler. When I saw the new one come out i bolted to the local dealer and put down a deposit. Reliving my teen years I guess.

#29 ·
I'm 21.

My first bike was the cbf125 which was awesome to throw around and even did a light tour on it (North Yorkshire down to London and back, a 500 mile round trip.) the only gripes were the horrific cheap tires that inspired no confidence, but I didn't have it long enough to change them.
My second and current bike is my beloved Suzuki sv650s. To say its 10 years old and been ragged, it's in awesome condition. It's used weekly to do a similar 450 round trip each week, all year, and it takes all that's thrown at it.
I'm not gonna lie to you all, I am the target audience this campaign is aimed at, check shirts and all. The only reason my beard isn't big is work! Hopefully by the time I get my red icon, I won't have to do the massive commute but I think it would be capable if the sv can do it. I was in the process of saving for an 899 for next year but the marketing on this got me hooked and whilst I'm *young and wild*, I'd probably be worse off on the panigale. The biggest draw in was the customisation options of the bike to truly make it yours, which will still cost less than the panigale.

#30 ·
I'm 46. I've been riding since age 8. Started with mini-bikes, then dirt bikes (Yamaha YZ80), then road bikes (Kawasaki LTD), then Harleys (Low Riders). My dad had a 1970s AMF-Harley Scrambler (puke, I know). But I've always like the enduro/scrambler concept. I'm returning to motorcycling since going on a 5-year hiatus. No more Harleys for me (market saturation among other reasons). I kicked around getting a vintage Honda or Yamaha scrambler UNTIL I saw the Ducati pro-types. As a middle-aged rider, THIS is the bike I've been searching for!!! Can't wait until my Icon arrives this spring!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.