Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK got some real road miles on my Classic and overall, loved it. Reliable started every time, no worries over a week and 3k miles.

Left SF Bay Area in CA heading east, registering 105-107 deg F. Way too hot! After cutting thru Yosemite it was out across Nevada and into the promised land of Utah and Colorado. Nevada going out was purgatory as usual. Range and Pan traveling (short cuts thru hills, long straight runs over 20mi at a time across flat straight roads thru pans), ugh!

Got the Butler maps for Utah and Colorado and they were spot on. Went south heading east and north going west. The upper reaches of Glen Canyon, and Capital Reef are wonderful driving. Some rain from Durango to Silverton but OK. Stayed with my folks and sister in Eagle CO for a nice visit. Took a misguided tour on a muddy road for ~25 mi and caked myself and the bike with mud. It handled fine but not really fun

Back via some more pretty roads near Dinosaur and fun rides around Salt Lake. Back across purgatory but this time cold ~40 deg F

As a reference, here are my mods:

42t rear sprocket. You need this to get across Nevada
Renthal ultra low bars, I like the ergonomics of this better (~5' 8", 150lbs)
bar end throttle lock
Nelson Rigg dry bags: Burned a hole in the bottom of the left bag. Patched with metal and fiberglass insulation which worked. Sub optimal solution but cheap and quick

I bought along a 5l gas jug but never used it. It is somewhat alarming to have traveled >50mi and seeing a sign "next services 111 mi". Got ~46mi/gal at 80 mph with strong headwind. Almost 55mpg at 75 and no headwind.

Impressions. Love the handling, light weight and compact size. Can't say enough about how happy I bought the bike. I didn't do much interstate driving perhaps 100 mi after leaving town but what I did wasn't that fun. I can see why those guys buy Gold wings. Took some dirt roads and saw some great views. Wanted to take more but being alone it seemed irresponsible.

Things I'm going to change. I bought a gel insert for the seat. I could do a half day with no problem but longer than 3-4 hrs is a real pain. Guess my rear is soft and the seat hard. Also want to put a small cafe type fairing on. Something to cut the wind a bit. Other than that, I need to find a better bag solution. Don't want to break the bank but it needs to hold camping gear etc. And the rear tire is shot. ~4k miles total. Loved the grip in all conditions but the mileage doesn't work out. Worrying about whether I'd make it home wasn't fun.

Loved it. Will do many more road trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the write up! I want to do some longer road trips too so it's fairly informative to read other's experiences. I'm leaning more toward the kreiga bags now even tho they are expensive. (buy cheap buy twice yes?)

Butler maps sounds great. Was looking into that before. How does it compare to the other maps?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks for the report, Phil. Happy with the Nelson Riggs otherwise? Their products have always given me good service. The placement of the exhaust on this bike sucks for luggage.

Sarah

·
Registered
281 Posts
That scenery is amazing and its great to see some dirt on the Scrambler. Cool how you are able to travel with so little and pitch your tent like that. Very cool to see, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the report, Phil. Happy with the Nelson Riggs otherwise? Their products have always given me good service. The placement of the exhaust on this bike sucks for luggage.

The bags are fine. Well made but the exhaust is not designed for bags that hold more than a pair of socks. I had to put grommets in the front on the inside of the bags to make it possible to tie them to the passenger footpegs in a way that kept them off the tire. I would say they are good for camping and long road trips where you can sacrifice style for volume. At $110 it seemed the best short term solution as I decided on the trip 2 weeks before I left.

I will post a picture of the tire. Not bald but Nevada definitely squared it a lot.

Have fun

·
Registered
13 Posts
Phil,

That was quite a ride and I had to visualize it (https://goo.gl/maps/Ur1Ku). I'm very familiar with many aspects of it having done the Southern Utah starting from SF few years ago in very different conditions (big SUV). As I was reading, I could not help thinking how you dealt with the seat - today my limiting factor for such a long ride. You mentioned a gel insert: any recommendation?

Given the response to this thread, one has to ponder whether we should organize an expedition next Spring or late Summer.

Christophe

·
Registered
717 Posts
This is what I am contemplating doing next late spring/early summer.

It may be a bit overly ambitious, but I can dream right?

·
Registered
379 Posts
MotoChief,

I have ridden most of that route on a K1200S and R1200GS...

If you have not already been there, you might consider bending the Idaho route curve a bit to include a few miles north to town of Stanley.

And the Colo route looks right on; you might also include Crested Butte, just north of Gunnison. Very cool ski town with lots to do during the warmer months, including gorgeous trails to ride the Scrambler on. I had an R1200GS that I took off road there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great post, looks like you had a good time.

How about a picture of the tire wear for us?
Here you go

It has 3800 mi total with maybe 300 on interstates but ~8-900mi of range and pan Nevada driving. So give it ~1200. straight line driving. I think I'll replace with the original Pirelli's but think about a dual comp tire if I ever go on another such long trip. The original tires are good all around for what I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to Hijack the thread... but anyone know the most interstate free route to go from Northern Cali to Denver?
Depends on what you want. The best side of my trip was going out.

120 thru Yosemite to Tonapah, recommend the Mizpah Hotel there. Very old west. Fill up before leaving ~160mi no gas

Hwy 6 to Warm Springs and thru to Cedar City UT. This is the truly mind numbing section

Hwy 14 to Brian Head, fantastic notch canyon and Brice like views. Do not mis this if you can do it.

Take 143 to Panguitch (I made a wrong turn here and got to Panguitch another way but this should be best) I stayed the night here thinking the camping near Brice would be packed. Actually there is a lot of good camping if you continue on. Should have done that.

Now here is the really fun part. Hwy 12 to hwy 24. Absolutely stunning views and fun roads

Take 24 to Hanksville (get gas) and then 95 south. Again stunning views in the upper Glen Canyon area. Really fun 60mi thru canyons.

The local advice worth taking is take 95 to 261 S towards Mexican Hat. Fairly long ride on the top of a mesa but just before descending, take the Muley Point dirt road turn off. ~4mi and takes you to a super fantastic overlook. You can see monument valley in the distance and Grand Canyon like views at your feet. Worth the excursion. The descent on 261 is really cool gravel road. Again unbelievable views

I headed to Bluff but if you need gas, going back to Mex Hat is closer

Spent the night in Bluff, chased in by a sand/thunderstorm. The nice hotel didn't have a liquor license yet so avoid it if you want a beer with dinner. Too nasty for me to go to the grocery store, finished the Bourbon in my flask...

I left Bluff on 162 but took a turn North east on a road just before Aneth and McElmo Creek. Some indian trading post road and McElmo Creek Rd is what most signs said. That took me to Cortez on back roads which were really nice.

160 to Durango and 550 north thru Silverton. It rained on me here but was really pretty. Great road.

Wanted to go east on 50 to Gunnison but ran out of time. Took the road thru McClure pass to Glenwood but check. One of the traffic guys said they would be blasting and delays could reach 5h. I was headed to Eagle so I didnt head east from there. Looks lots of nice back roads south of I-70

Took 4 days but totally worth it. 1500 mi. If you have less time, I'm not sure what to say. Won't be near as fun. BTW consider a 42 or 43 tooth rear sprocket. Nevada at 80 mph would be pretty rev'd up on the standard sprocket.

Have fun

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My advice is to buy the Butler Maps or download the app Revr. My experience was they were spot on with regards to roads.

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts