Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the standard FT handlebars with a set of Rizoma MA006B bars. They're four inches narrower and a couple of inches shorter than the stock handlebars (the Rizoma bars have a 30mm rise).

I've got the headlight off and am considering the best routing for throttle and clutch cables, as well as brake hoses. The headlight is being replaced with a Motodemic LED headlight conversion as well, so there will be more room to work with than with the stock headlamp setup. I'm sure I can find a way to make it work, but I'm wondering if others who've done this before with short bars have any pictures or advice regards how they routed the cables and hoses.

Thanks for your assistance!

G

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm, no one here made any comments.

With the Rizoma MA006B bars and Motodemic headlight conversion, I found the limiting factor is the clearance between master cylinder and instrument pod. If only they'd put the instrument pod on the left rather than the right ... sigh. I didn't like any of the relocation mounts available so I left the instrument pod alone. I found that by careful rotation of the handlebars and brake line, I could route the throttle and brake lines in pretty much the standard way. The clutch cable I re-routed to arc around the front of the steering head from the right rather than go behind the head and route up from the left; fits perfectly. A Motodemic/Dart flyscreen cleans up the look nicely, hiding the wiring and the cabling, keeping bugs and stuff off it too.

I'll fit the left grip, finish up the control positioning, and torque everything to spec today. Then fit the mirrors and the bike will be ready to ride again. :D

G

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmm, no one here made any comments.

With the Rizoma MA006B bars and Motodemic headlight conversion, I found the limiting factor is the clearance between master cylinder and instrument pod. If only they'd put the instrument pod on the left rather than the right ... sigh. I didn't like any of the relocation mounts available so I left the instrument pod alone. I found that by careful rotation of the handlebars and brake line, I could route the throttle and brake lines in pretty much the standard way. The clutch cable I re-routed to arc around the front of the steering head from the right rather than go behind the head and route up from the left; fits perfectly. A Motodemic/Dart flyscreen cleans up the look nicely, hiding the wiring and the cabling, keeping bugs and stuff off it too.

I'll fit the left grip, finish up the control positioning, and torque everything to spec today. Then fit the mirrors and the bike will be ready to ride again. :D

G

Looks great!

How do you like the LED headlights? Do you have the adaptive version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great!
How do you like the LED headlight? Do you have the adaptive version?
Thanks!

I'm just getting the bike back onto the road so haven't done much riding with it yet. I can tell you that, when adjusting the headlamp for position, the pattern and brightness is world's better than the stock headlamp. At adjustment distance (approximately 10m/30ft from a flat wall), the output at the center of the low beam is approximately 4x the output measured at the center of the stock headlamp's main beam.

I bought the adaptive model, based on looking at several videos of how it illuminates the road at night. I'll know for sure how much better it is when I take my first night ride with it. :)

G

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your bike looks amazing!

I'm also thinking about changing my FT bars to the Rizoma 30mm primarily for the shorter width for lane splitting in CA and for the looks. Is it really 2 inches lower? That seems like a lot. How do you find the new ride position compared to the FT bars?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your bike looks amazing!

I'm also thinking about changing my FT bars to the Rizoma 30mm primarily for the shorter width for lane splitting in CA and for the looks. Is it really 2 inches lower? That seems like a lot. How do you find the new ride position compared to the FT bars?
Thank you!

Estimating: the Rizoma MA006B lowers the grips by about 3" and moves them forward by about 2". It also reduces the width of the handle bar by 4" overall, two inches per side. Combined with the Comfort Seat, they net me exactly the seating position I wanted ...

I'm just shy of 6 foot tall, 29" inseam, with a long torso and arms, somewhat inflexible legs; I'm 28-29" across the shoulders too. This setup suits me very nicely, the stock setup was pretty but very uncomfortable for any longer ride at speed. I can flat foot the bike at a stop with my knees bent, and I reach forward and slightly down rather than outwards and slightly up to grab the bars. There's room to move around on the seat to relieve the butt-ache from sitting in one spot, and to help the bike turn through corners. At low speeds, I'm not trying to twist beyond my arms' and torso's limits to keep both hands on the bars when steering. At high speed I can tuck down and pull my elbows in.

With stock seat and bars, I felt like I was sitting too low, on a hard hump, and the bars were so wide and so close I felt like I was trying to manage a wheelbarrow at low speeds. Now everything feels tidy and tight, the bike feels smaller, and I'm not flailing my arms around to steer at low speeds. My elbows and wrists are loose and light on the controls, etc... perfect for best control. It's a really really nice setup for me. :D

If you feel the MA006B are a little too low and far for you, the MA009B are a bit taller. For me, they weren't enough different from the stock bars to warrant using them, but if all you need is for the bike to be a little narrower, they do slim the width by the same 4". The Rizoma MA011B were a bit too low and too flat for my needs: they'd pull me down and forward by another inch or two beyond the MA006B model, and would likely require a few other changes as you'll run out of room to fit the controls without relocating the instrument panel.*

* Note that for all of the Rizoma bars, you are either going to have to remove the locating pegs on the switch clusters and throttle or drill the bars to fit the components. I chose to grind off the locating pegs ... the components snug tight to the bars when the bolts are torqued to spec and don't move, and it gives a great deal more flexibility in adjusting both the bar and the components for best position. Grinding off the locating pegs takes a few seconds per component with a high speed rotary grinder like a Dremel Moto-Tool.

To determine which bars would work best for me, I bought all three Rizoma bars and loosened up the standard bars, shoved them out of the way, then fitted each of the others to the clamps (with tape on the bars to prevent marking them up) to get a sense of where my hands and torso would end up. I made my choice, then packaged up the other two bars and returned them. IMO, that's the best way to choose the right set of handlebars if you have the time to do it... It's a lot of work and a lot of money to spend up front (two thirds of it comes back eventually), but you really have a good idea what works best for you that way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
BTW: here's a (somewhat cheesy smartphone) pic of my bike ready to test ride after all the upgrades to lights, bars, seat, etc were done:

There are a few more details I haven't done yet (gearing change, switch to a prettier muffler, and fitment of the Ducati classic bags and bag frames). I'll take better photos with a 'real' camera once I have those things taken care of.

I test rode it yesterday afternoon and last evening. Everything I changed works as I had hoped it would! The bike is radically easier to ride, feels smaller and handier, and runs better (Rexxer User custom jetting map). The Motodemic adaptive LED headlight is FAR brighter, with a cleaner pattern on low and much better punch on main beam, and the adaptive lighting is just outstanding: the dark hole when you lean simply isn't there any more. It's more comfortable too.

To say "I'm jazzed!" is a severe understatement.

:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
BTW: here's a (somewhat cheesy smartphone) pic of my bike ready to test ride after all the upgrades to lights, bars, seat, etc were done:

There are a few more details I haven't done yet (gearing change, switch to a prettier muffler, and fitment of the Ducati classic bags and bag frames). I'll take better photos with a 'real' camera once I have those things taken care of.

I test rode it yesterday afternoon and last evening. Everything I changed works as I had hoped it would! The bike is radically easier to ride, feels smaller and handier, and runs better (Rexxer User custom jetting map). The Motodemic adaptive LED headlight is FAR brighter, with a cleaner pattern on low and much better punch on main beam, and the adaptive lighting is just outstanding: the dark hole when you lean simply isn't there any more. It's more comfortable too.

To say "I'm jazzed!" is a severe understatement.

Great write up! Can you send a picture from a seated position?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brake cable

You can always custom-order brake cables and have it route differently. Galfer and Spiegler do that.

Just food for thought.

Your bike rocks! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can always custom-order brake cables and have it route differently. Galfer and Spiegler do that.

Just food for thought.

Your bike rocks! :D
Thank you!

Oh yes: I'd planned to do custom brake line and throttle cables to remove the big loop (the clutch cable doesn't seem to be a problem the way I have it routed now) and make it all tidy and neat. Failing to get the **** tank off got in the way because I needed to take it off to measure everything and define the routing for the brake line and throttle cable before getting new ones made.

What I'll likely do is ask my indie Duc mechanic to take the tank off when I bring it in for the 600 mile service, measure everything up and devise the routing, proper ends and orientations, etc. I'll have them made, then have him do the installation when it's time for the 7500 mile service. He's got better equipment than I to do the brake bleeding, etc, as well.

I expect I'll need tires about then, and probably do all the suspension upgrades I have in mind, to make a complete 'second round' fettling. The basic stuff I've done on this round has made the bike much more rideable and enjoyable ... I'll be riding and developing this machine for a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you!

Estimating: the Rizoma MA006B lowers the grips by about 3" and moves them forward by about 2". It also reduces the width of the handle bar by 4" overall, two inches per side. Combined with the Comfort Seat, they net me exactly the seating position I wanted ...

I'm just shy of 6 foot tall, 29" inseam, with a long torso and arms, somewhat inflexible legs; I'm 28-29" across the shoulders too. This setup suits me very nicely, the stock setup was pretty but very uncomfortable for any longer ride at speed. I can flat foot the bike at a stop with my knees bent, and I reach forward and slightly down rather than outwards and slightly up to grab the bars. There's room to move around on the seat to relieve the butt-ache from sitting in one spot, and to help the bike turn through corners. At low speeds, I'm not trying to twist beyond my arms' and torso's limits to keep both hands on the bars when steering. At high speed I can tuck down and pull my elbows in.

With stock seat and bars, I felt like I was sitting too low, on a hard hump, and the bars were so wide and so close I felt like I was trying to manage a wheelbarrow at low speeds. Now everything feels tidy and tight, the bike feels smaller, and I'm not flailing my arms around to steer at low speeds. My elbows and wrists are loose and light on the controls, etc... perfect for best control. It's a really really nice setup for me. :D

If you feel the MA006B are a little too low and far for you, the MA009B are a bit taller. For me, they weren't enough different from the stock bars to warrant using them, but if all you need is for the bike to be a little narrower, they do slim the width by the same 4". The Rizoma MA011B were a bit too low and too flat for my needs: they'd pull me down and forward by another inch or two beyond the MA006B model, and would likely require a few other changes as you'll run out of room to fit the controls without relocating the instrument panel.*

* Note that for all of the Rizoma bars, you are either going to have to remove the locating pegs on the switch clusters and throttle or drill the bars to fit the components. I chose to grind off the locating pegs ... the components snug tight to the bars when the bolts are torqued to spec and don't move, and it gives a great deal more flexibility in adjusting both the bar and the components for best position. Grinding off the locating pegs takes a few seconds per component with a high speed rotary grinder like a Dremel Moto-Tool.

To determine which bars would work best for me, I bought all three Rizoma bars and loosened up the standard bars, shoved them out of the way, then fitted each of the others to the clamps (with tape on the bars to prevent marking them up) to get a sense of where my hands and torso would end up. I made my choice, then packaged up the other two bars and returned them. IMO, that's the best way to choose the right set of handlebars if you have the time to do it... It's a lot of work and a lot of money to spend up front (two thirds of it comes back eventually), but you really have a good idea what works best for you that way.
Thanks for the thorough response!

Didn't even know the MA009B existed, that might be a better option for me being at 5'7, the reduce height and forwardness would probably put me in a very uncomfortable bend position.. I do prefer the looks of the one you got though, much cleaner/flatter looking. Probably do as you suggested and get both to return one :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the thorough response!

Didn't even know the MA009B existed, that might be a better option for me being at 5'7, the reduce height and forwardness would probably put me in a very uncomfortable bend position.. I do prefer the looks of the one you got though, much cleaner/flatter looking. Probably do as you suggested and get both to return one :)

Same. Let me know how the MA009B works for you. At 5'8" with a 29" inseam, the MA009B maybe just the answer for my lane splitting needs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI: This is the best chart I've found of the Rizoma handlebars available and recommended for the Scrambler models:

The MA006, MA009, and MA011 all have sufficient space for the controls. I didn't try the MA015 model flat bars. All of them require the taper bar style clamp that comes with the Full Throttle (and possibly other) models.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI: This is the best chart I've found of the Rizoma handlebars available and recommended for the Scrambler models:

The MA006, MA009, and MA011 all have sufficient space for the controls. I didn't try the MA015 model flat bars. All of them require the taper bar style clamp that comes with the Full Throttle (and possibly other) models.
That's a very useful chart. Any idea what the stock FT bar height is?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a very useful chart. Any idea what the stock FT bar height is?
It's somewhat difficult to measure, the H measurement goes from the middle of the 29mm section to the middle of the 22mm section with the bar "level", which is hard to manage without having it in a clamp. I have one right here: I'm estimating it is about 60-63mm in the H dimension on that chart. Quite close to the MA009 bars, as I said. But the Rizoma MA009 is significantly narrower ... the stock FT bar is about three inches longer than the box that the Rizoma bars came in. All three of the Rizoma bars came in the same size box and had at least an inch or so in length to spare.

·
Registered
34 Posts
QQ - did you get your dart shield from Motodemic? If so, which version did you get? I'm thinking about getting the same thing for my Motodemic LED as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QQ - did you get your dart shield from Motodemic? If so, which version did you get? I'm thinking about getting the same thing for my Motodemic LED as well.
If you have the Motodemic conversion, you want to buy from Motodemic so you get the right brackets for their headlight mount. Use the coupon that came in you conversion package for a small discount. The price is the same as the Dart prices elsewhere that way.

I preferred the short version of the Dart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts