Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Interesting that my Dealer refers to disconnecting the "exhaust valve" and "EGR" when referring to the Secondary Air System and wasn't aware that disconnecting the O2 sensors disables the SAS. No wonder you service your own bikes Tony!!
You may want to look for a better dealer :)

Not only does the Scrambler not have an "exhaust valve", but "EGR" is an acronym for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation".

EGR is a nitrogen oxide emissions reduction technique used almost exclusively in automotive applications. It works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. This dilutes the O2 in the incoming air stream and provides gases - inert to combustion - to reduce heat and peak temperatures. This is done to clean up emissions.

There is no motorcycle anywhere (that I am aware of) that employs this relatively complex system.

I've seen "SAI" (secondary air intake) also referred to as "PAIR" (pulsed air intake system), but no one would ever confuse this with an EGR system.

This secondary air intake system simply adds fresh atmospheric air into the exhaust stream (post combustion) to burn any fuel left in the system, post regular combustion (no re-circulation BACK into the combustion chamber).

Technically, removing the O2 sensors function does not "disable" the SAI, but since it gets its signal to open from the O2, then - well... it never opens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You may want to look for a better dealer :)

Not only does the Scrambler not have an "exhaust valve", but "EGR" is an acronym for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation".

EGR is a nitrogen oxide emissions reduction technique used almost exclusively in automotive applications. It works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. This dilutes the O2 in the incoming air stream and provides gases - inert to combustion - to reduce heat and peak temperatures. This is done to clean up emissions.

There is no motorcycle anywhere (that I am aware of) that employs this relatively complex system.

I've seen "SAI" (secondary air intake) also referred to as "PAIR" (pulsed air intake system), but no one would ever confuse this with an EGR system.

This secondary air intake system simply adds fresh atmospheric air into the exhaust stream (post combustion) to burn any fuel left in the system, post regular combustion (no re-circulation BACK into the combustion chamber).

Technically, removing the O2 sensors function does not "disable" the SAI, but since it gets its signal to open from the O2, then - well... it never opens.
One dealer in the whole of South Australia and nearest one is 750kms away (over 400 miles) so tied to them for the warranty period. It is what it is.........for now!

·
Registered
108 Posts
One dealer in the whole of South Australia and nearest one is 750kms away (over 400 miles) so tied to them for the warranty period. It is what it is.........for now!

My dealer is 350 kms away. I have my Rexxer and am being very cautious -- but am very optimistic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not if you are going to replace it in 6 months.

But if you are doing this, I would wait until then to do the reflash also. The mapping you are paying for is based on the degree of mods present on the bike. It doesn't make much sense - economically or otherwise - to have the bike remapped now in stock form, then again later when you get an exhaust.

Do all your modifications first, then get the re-flash.

Oh, OK. I was under the assumption that there wouldn't be much of an additional cost for an additional map after I do get the exhaust. I will clarify this with David. I was hoping to clear the service parameters and benefit from the richer fuel map until I decide on which exhausted I will go with. I also thought it would be fun to do Dyno runs along the way and see the progress.

I was planning on doing the CR-T exhaust but have been liking the looks of the Werkes exhaust. I keep changing my mind. Hence my hesitation to drop in just yet.

Thanks for the advice man. Much appreciated. Learning more every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the Rexxer flash done to 2015 FT. It is an "off the shelf" remap for Danmoto open exhaust, no cat, no baffles, and MWR air filter and airbox mod. The slip on Danmoto was easily 5-10 lbs lighter than the Termi that came stock on the bike. The airbox mod consists of cutting a 3x6" hole on either side of the airbox and attaching 2 filters with self tapping screws that are included, and replacing the stock air filter inside(sold separately). I also did the optional O2 sensor delete. The first thing I noticed was the snatchiness of the low end fueling was completely eliminated. Its almost as if the throttle is directly connected to the rear wheel. I dont have a dyno chart unfortunately, and i did not measure the cylinder head temp stock vs tune. I speculate around 10 hp gain, as the stock Scrambler Rexxer tune mentioned on this thread netted 7-8hp. Just by the behavior of the engine, the overly lean condition has been corrected to some degree. The popping of the exhaust on deceleration has not changed. If I slam the throttle shut, it will throw a bit of fire, but I suspect that is a characteristic of the 803 cc by its nature. There is also a really cool sound from the intake as it sucks all the air out of my garage when i start it. Anyway, everything together was about $600, and this bike is a holy terror on the street. Oh, and its very loud. If you want to know what it sounds like, pull your muffler off and fire it up. The idle is enough to wake up the neighbors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At very low RPM, 1st gear <10 mph, my Icon will lurch forward repeatedly. I only just noticed this, so it might be an issue or mod related, but this thread makes it sound like a normal condition the Rexxer tune would address? I'm thinking about getting the Rexxer user tune anyway but just curious.

·
Registered
79 Posts
At very low RPM, 1st gear <10 mph, my Icon will lurch forward repeatedly. I only just noticed this, so it might be an issue or mod related, but this thread makes it sound like a normal condition the Rexxer tune would address? I'm thinking about getting the Rexxer user tune anyway but just curious.

I'm installing a RapidBike Evo this weekend to hopefully solve that very same problem so will let you know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got the RapidBike Evo installed but due to a serious medical diagnosis and associated scans and tests I haven't gotten to ride yet 😕. hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have a report. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got the RapidBike Evo installed but due to a serious medical diagnosis and associated scans and tests I haven't gotten to ride yet 😕. hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have a report. Stay tuned!
OK I got my Zard high mount black ceramic exhaust mounted, Vance & Hines tail tidy, and Rapidbike Evo. The exhaust sounds GREAT and looks even better. It's a little loud with the snuffers out. The tail tidy looks OK and it was relatively cheap.

Now to the Rapidbike Evo. Installation was pretty straight forward and took about 1.5 hours. Getting the fuel lines out was a pain until I realized that in order to get the lines out of the bottom of the tank you have to push the little plastic rings in at the same time you are pushing the plastic Ls into the tank. Important note - you do not need the wire for reverse polarity as the Sramblers are regular polarity. As to performance the Rapidbike definitely helped with the snatchiness of the throttle. The throttle is still plenty responsive but the oh sh#t factor is gone which is what I was hoping for. It is also much better all around at low revs and on slow bumpy roads, no more need to feather the clutch constantly. All in all very good mods.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Tony, I've been reading your post and you seem very knowledgeable with the Rexxer. I've even corresponded with Dave from Rexxer and his answers just confuse me because I don't know much about the unit or mapping. I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind explaining a few things to me? I can send you my convo with Dave if you are ok with it so I can get a better understanding of what he's telling me. Thanks in advance.

I can't send you a PM bc I don't have enough posts here. I spend all of my time on Scrambler Forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I got the tuneboy stuff. But Wayne from tuneboy send me the wrong tune file and now he is not answering.
I need a file for the 1MABAAC1 version. It is the EU version.
Somebody got one for me? Thank you

101 - 113 of 113 Posts