Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Thanks guys, so do you get a choice of maps to download and use with the rexer unit depending on what setup your running on your bike?

I like the idea of the rexer unit but would need the o2 sensors deleted if I remapped!

It's a shame there aren't more options for full parameter customisation

Vance and Hines do a unit for the Harley that Bluetooths to your cell phone and provides live data and let's you change fueling on the fly (say you hit the highway and want Eco mode)

$600 for a tuning box and code reader is pretty steep
No, the map provided is custom to your specification. The way you specify is to download and fill out this form...

http://www.rexxer.com/fckimages/Rexxer%20ECU%20Form.pdf

Then you send it to [email protected]. There are a number of options (o2 disable included) on the form for you to choose from.

The V&H fueling box things are pretty rudimentary (as is the Harley ECU), and you cannot disable the O2 system with it. The only way to do this is to reflash the ECU itself, which the rexxer does.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, but if the map for the user unit is custom made then the only point in paying for it is to change back and forth from the custom map to the original map, read codes and clear service lights?

Otherwise you would pay half the price for your even to be sent off and flashed??

Maybe I'm getting confused but would buying the rexer user module only allow you to use a specified "custom" map or change according to upgrades/changes to setup?

If they do a custom map every time you change things, surely there's an extra fee?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks, but if the map for the user unit is custom made then the only point in paying for it is to change back and forth from the custom map to the original map, read codes and clear service lights?

Otherwise you would pay half the price for your even to be sent off and flashed??

Maybe I'm getting confused but would buying the rexer user module only allow you to use a specified "custom" map or change according to upgrades/changes to setup?

If they do a custom map every time you change things, surely there's an extra fee?
My local dealer told me that if updates come out, he would just email them through so I could apply when required.
I'm sure I will be corrected, but I believe Rexxer have maps for just about every combination you can think of.
So lets say you changed you're air filter, you go back to the dealer, let them know what one you went with, and they supply a new map.
Or if over time a few tweaks are applied to a map, they can send it out again for re application.
Plus you can reset service indicators etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My local dealer told me that if updates come out, he would just email them through so I could apply when required.
I'm sure I will be corrected, but I believe Rexxer have maps for just about every combination you can think of.
So lets say you changed you're air filter, you go back to the dealer, let them know what one you went with, and they supply a new map.
Or if over time a few tweaks are applied to a map, they can send it out again for re application.
Plus you can reset service indicators etc.

I believe rexxer will you charge you $100 for a new map if you changed your mods. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I believe rexxer will you charge you $100 for a new map if you changed your mods. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is correct...

But most mods would never be changed enough to warrant this. For example, the flow rates of the different models and manufacturers of most non-cat exhausts are almost identical.

Reactions: rmojo

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
All this agro to get them to run right , give me a carb any day.
Coming from this guy, who has tuned a zillion carbed bikes...

no thanks, FI is much less involved.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Who the **** do you think you are ? you know nothing about me you idiot.Iv done more with bikes that you will ever dream about. It wasn't an idle threat I made to you I really meant it.You cant tell your a septic tank,you think you know everything and everyone else is wrong.At the end of the day your a complete ****

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think Tony is referring to himself in the above comment, saying he's tuned a zillion carbed bikes but he finds FI much easier. Forum posts can be hard to follow sometimes. Thank you for posting about your Scorpion exhaust, that's one of the pipes I'm looking at, too. I'm thinking I'll come to a decision over winter. I wish I had a Rexxer tuner close by, that way we could tune, ride and tune again if it didn't suit.

Sarah

·
Registered
205 Posts
Who the **** do you think you are ? you know nothing about me you idiot.Iv done more with bikes that you will ever dream about. It wasn't an idle threat I made to you I really meant it.You cant tell your a septic tank,you think you know everything and everyone else is wrong.At the end of the day your a complete ****

Short fuse. Take it easy dude. Maybe sit the next few rounds out.

Like greer said, Tony was saying he disagrees that FI is more work than carbs, based on his experience "tuning a zillion carbed bikes".

·
Registered
205 Posts
Anyway, back to motorcycles.

MCC in Villa Park, IL has a winter special. $299 and they will drop your bike on the dyno and remap. I had a bunch of "rewards" points from buying the Scrambler from them that I figured I could burn up.

They picked the bike up last week and said it should be ready sometime mid-week this week. Sadly, it will probably sit until the Spring unless we get another day above 40 degrees. Might have to get the balaclava out and fight off the frost anyway.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Anyway, back to motorcycles.

MCC in Villa Park, IL has a winter special. $299 and they will drop your bike on the dyno and remap. I had a bunch of "rewards" points from buying the Scrambler from them that I figured I could burn up.

They picked the bike up last week and said it should be ready sometime mid-week this week. Sadly, it will probably sit until the Spring unless we get another day above 40 degrees. Might have to get the balaclava out and fight off the frost anyway.

A very good deal for custom mapping...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
A very good deal for custom mapping...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Was debating between sending out the ECU for $300 or getting the user unit for $600. When this came up for $300 though(normally $400) and I had a bunch of rewards points to burn...I couldn't pass it up. Made sure they knew to disable the O2 sensors, which they are privy to. Will report back if I get a chance to ride it before it snows. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thinking about having this ECU Flash done to my Full Throttle. I see Seacoast Cycles is not too far away and they are a REXXER professional shop. I actually want to keep the stock exhaust on the bike. I don't see changing the bikes air filter making too much of a difference without removing the cat. With that said I would like the extra torque and bhp while cleaning up that nasty lean condition at 0-4k. What I don't know is what is the deal about O2 sensors, exhaust valve and other options.

Thoughts on how to get the best performance out of this stock set up?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thinking about having this ECU Flash done to my Full Throttle. I see Seacoast Cycles is not too far away and they are a REXXER professional shop. I actually want to keep the stock exhaust on the bike. I don't see changing the bikes air filter making too much of a difference without removing the cat. With that said I would like the extra torque and bhp while cleaning up that nasty lean condition at 0-4k. What I don't know is what is the deal about O2 sensors, exhaust valve and other options.

Thoughts on how to get the best performance out of this stock set up?
You are correct in your assumption about the intake side - it wont make a difference without altering the exhaust.

Even a bone-stock Scrambler benefits from a Rexxer remap - the results are just not as dramatic, but the snatchy throttle will be gone and you will get a small hp bump.

As for the O2 system, you should not disable this if you are keeping the stock exhaust (with it's catalytic converter) as the lifespan of the CAT will be reduced dramatically without the O2 operable.

Reactions: ducatirdr

·
Registered
47 Posts
As for the O2 system, you should not disable this if you are keeping the stock exhaust (with it's catalytic converter) as the lifespan of the CAT will be reduced dramatically without the O2 operable.

I will be chaniging the exhaust eventually. Probably 6 months or so from now. Do you recommend keeping the o2 system intact? Is there a reason I should care about the lifespan of the CAT?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I will be chaniging the exhaust eventually. Probably 6 months or so from now. Do you recommend keeping the o2 system intact? Is there a reason I should care about the lifespan of the CAT?
Not if you are going to replace it in 6 months.

But if you are doing this, I would wait until then to do the reflash also. The mapping you are paying for is based on the degree of mods present on the bike. It doesn't make much sense - economically or otherwise - to have the bike remapped now in stock form, then again later when you get an exhaust.

Do all your modifications first, then get the re-flash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there an exhaust valve on the Scrambler? I know those are often there just to pass government sound tests and not performance related. Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Is there an exhaust valve on the Scrambler? I know those are often there just to pass government sound tests and not performance related. Thoughts on that?
There is no exhaust valve on the Scrambler. These are primarily not used for sound reduction, but to regain lost torque at low RPM conditions - but they do have an effect on sound levels.

Here is a link that explains in more detail...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_power_valve_system

Reactions: ducatirdr

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no exhaust valve on the Scrambler. These are primarily not used for sound reduction, but to regain lost torque at low RPM conditions - but they do have an effect on sound levels.

Here is a link that explains in more detail...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_power_valve_system
Interesting that my Dealer refers to disconnecting the "exhaust valve" and "EGR" when referring to the Secondary Air System and wasn't aware that disconnecting the O2 sensors disables the SAS. No wonder you service your own bikes Tony!!

81 - 100 of 113 Posts