Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm sure this will work in most peoples case. As soon I get my exhaust I will be sending out my ecu to get a Rexxer tune. Having gone through a few bikes that were tuned properly. They all ran much better throughout the rev range, more power, and throttle response was much improved. If your running a stock bike I would say leave it that way. I have gotten used to twitchy throttle for now. Rode it in the dirt recently found it was much more noticeable again. Everyone has a different goal or outcome as far as what they want from their scrambler.
How do Rexxer know the best tune for a certain bike and exhaust combo? Just wondering as not all exhausts are designed similar. Is it a general map they use to update your ECU?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
How do Rexxer know the best tune for a certain bike and exhaust combo? Just wondering as not all exhausts are designed similar. Is it a general map they use to update your ECU?
Utilizing the stock header pipes, there is VERY little difference in flow between all the various manufacturers aftermarket exhausts. None the less, they have done testing, and developed maps for a bewildering amount of different configurations.

When you send your ECU to them, there is a form that needs to be submitted, detailing the exact specifics of your setup (intake type, exhaust type, baffle installed, CAT, etc.). They then reflash your ECU to match.

Here is a LINK to the form.

Just a side note - I was unable to create better mapping than what they had already developed for my setup - and I'm pretty good at this.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Utilizing the stock header pipes, there is VERY little difference in flow between all the various manufacturers aftermarket exhausts. None the less, they have done testing, and developed maps for a bewildering amount of different configurations.

When you send your ECU to them, there is a form that needs to be submitted, detailing the exact specifics of your setup (intake type, exhaust type, baffle installed, CAT, etc.). They then reflash your ECU to match.

Just a side note - I was unable to create better mapping than what they had already developed for my setup - and I'm pretty good at this.
Thanks Tony that clears up my confusion. I guess it is up to me if I want the tune to be done with baffle or without. I guess I will take baffle out to see how loud it is. The mechanic told me to keep baffle in for now as it will run worse without it if I have not tuned it. Will see for myself...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks Tony that clears up my confusion. I guess it is up to me if I want the tune to be done with baffle or without. I guess I will take baffle out to see how loud it is. The mechanic told me to keep baffle in for now as it will run worse without it if I have not tuned it. Will see for myself...
Your mechanic is totally correct - it will run WAY too lean if the baffle is removed (without a remap).

Oh, and I just noticed you are in the UK. The form I linked to was for Rexxer USA - there are other dealers, on your side of the pond, who can do this for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Tony,

What intake and or air filter and exhaust are you using? I noticed the form asks if the O2 lamda sensors are disabled or not. I had a Triumph T100 with a British Customs air box delete with K&N pod filters, D & D slipons without baffles and a Power Commander V. The PC V requires the O2 sensors be disabled. Are your O2 sensors still in place and active? My T100 had been Dyno Tuned and ran really strong up top but in the lower revs it seemed to run very rich. I thought about getting another Dyno tune but at the cost didn't know if it would be worth it. I ended up getting a Ducati Scrambler Classic and sold the T100 and it seems to have the same issues as many if not all new fuel injected bikes, choked at the intake and plugged at exhaust and to lean at idle and low revs to meet emission standards. Have you seen the Rapid Bike Self Tune ECU for the Scrambler? It sounds like the Auto tune like I had on my old Honda VFR it used a broad range O2 sensor and automatically adjusted the air fuel ratio tuning based on your hardware and tuned the bike as you rode. I'm trying to decide which way I want to go. Power Commander, Rexxer, or Rapid Bike Self Tune?? The Intake Express Power Up kit seems to show what can be done by opening things up ( especially the intake ) and adding a tune. The power commander uses a Power Commander though and I have always liked using the stock ECU better. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tony,

What intake and or air filter and exhaust are you using? I noticed the form asks if the O2 lamda sensors are disabled or not. I had a Triumph T100 with a British Customs air box delete with K&N pod filters, D & D slipons without baffles and a Power Commander V. The PC V requires the O2 sensors be disabled. Are your O2 sensors still in place and active? My T100 had been Dyno Tuned and ran really strong up top but in the lower revs it seemed to run very rich. I thought about getting another Dyno tune but at the cost didn't know if it would be worth it. I ended up getting a Ducati Scrambler Classic and sold the T100 and it seems to have the same issues as many if not all new fuel injected bikes, choked at the intake and plugged at exhaust and to lean at idle and low revs to meet emission standards. Have you seen the Rapid Bike Self Tune ECU for the Scrambler? It sounds like the Auto tune like I had on my old Honda VFR it used a broad range O2 sensor and automatically adjusted the air fuel ratio tuning based on your hardware and tuned the bike as you rode. I'm trying to decide which way I want to go. Power Commander, Rexxer, or Rapid Bike Self Tune?? The Intake Express Power Up kit seems to show what can be done by opening things up ( especially the intake ) and adding a tune. Power The power commander uses a Commander though and I have always liked using the stock ECU better. What's your opinion?
I meant to say the Power Up Kit uses a Power Commander though, and I like to use the stock ECU ( reflash ) better.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Tony,

What intake and or air filter and exhaust are you using? I noticed the form asks if the O2 lamda sensors are disabled or not. I had a Triumph T100 with a British Customs air box delete with K&N pod filters, D & D slipons without baffles and a Power Commander V. The PC V requires the O2 sensors be disabled. Are your O2 sensors still in place and active? My T100 had been Dyno Tuned and ran really strong up top but in the lower revs it seemed to run very rich. I thought about getting another Dyno tune but at the cost didn't know if it would be worth it. I ended up getting a Ducati Scrambler Classic and sold the T100 and it seems to have the same issues as many if not all new fuel injected bikes, choked at the intake and plugged at exhaust and to lean at idle and low revs to meet emission standards. Have you seen the Rapid Bike Self Tune ECU for the Scrambler? It sounds like the Auto tune like I had on my old Honda VFR it used a broad range O2 sensor and automatically adjusted the air fuel ratio tuning based on your hardware and tuned the bike as you rode. I'm trying to decide which way I want to go. Power Commander, Rexxer, or Rapid Bike Self Tune?? The Intake Express Power Up kit seems to show what can be done by opening things up ( especially the intake ) and adding a tune. The power commander uses a Power Commander though and I have always liked using the stock ECU better. What's your opinion?
I'm using a Remus Hyercone along with a BMC air filter.

The form is asking you if you want them to disable the O2 sensors for you (optional), mine are still active.

I've had plenty of experience with piggyback type units, like the power commander, reflashing the ECU is better.

I do not believe in the "RapidBike" approach - you simply cannot create decent mapping without a dyno. Besides, RapidBike does not offer a unit for the Scrambler.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you think Rexxer would have a tune available or could put together a tune for the new intake with the large K&N cone filter that Intake Express has come out with for there Power Up kit? It looks like I may be able to purchase just the intake without the Power Commander and go with an unrestricted Cat Free exhaust of my choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts

The form is asking you if you want them to disable the O2 sensors for you (optional), mine are still active.

I've had plenty of experience with piggyback type units, like the power commander, reflashing the ECU is better.

I do not believe in the "RapidBike" approach - you simply cannot create decent mapping without a dyno. Besides, RapidBike does not offer a unit for the Scrambler.
Have you had your bike put on a dyno? If so what kind of HP and Ft Lb are you getting with your mods?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Do you think Rexxer would have a tune available or could put together a tune for the new intake with the large K&N cone filter that Intake Express has come out with for there Power Up kit? It looks like I may be able to purchase just the intake without the Power Commander and go with an unrestricted Cat Free exhaust of my choice.
I don't know...

You can always email rexxer to ask. [email protected]

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Have you had your bike put on a dyno? If so what kind of HP and Ft Lb are you getting with your mods?
MULTIPLE dyno runs (this is how I created my mapping).

Details HERE.

Reactions: Handlebar

·
Registered
41 Posts

MULTIPLE dyno runs (this is how I created my mapping).

Details HERE.
After seeing your results it looks as though the tuned intake and cone filter are out, unless I beef up the clutch. Not sure what the folks at Intake Express did about the clutch on their Power Up kit since it is supposed to increase the Hp & Torque by about 25%. Looks like a couple of calls will be necessary to see what I may be getting into. I may just end up picking a CAT free muffler of my choice and staying with a free flowing filter and Rexxer similar to what you have done. The sound and driveability alone are worth the cost of the Rexxer. I'll post back what I find out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those folks who have installed the rexxer map. Do you still get popping on throttle close?

I uploaded the map from rexxer yesterday, and while the bike runs much smoother, there's still slight surging at constant throttle and popping on deceleration.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Unless you disable the O2 (which also effectively disables the SAI) you will alway have some "popping".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup, already had the O2 sensors disabled and still had a fair bit of popping.

Gary at TPM the Aussie distributor of the Rexxer has sent me an updated map which seems to have eliminated almost all the popping, it also feels slightly smoother than the previous map.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In the US, flashing your ECU does NOT void warranty, Ducati would have to prove that the change to fuel mapping is DIRECTLY responsible for any repair necessitated by this - which is extremely unlikely.
[/LIST]
Hi, are you sure about this in US? i just got a reply from ducati:

"We naturally encourage the use of our Ducati Performance exhaust kits as they are designed and tuned for our bikes and does not affect the warranty. We, however, aren’t able to maintain your warranty if you have remapped the ECU as it can result in engine damage if not done correctly".

What about European countries?

41 - 60 of 114 Posts