Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
sounds like fun!

for 600 bucks, do they provide a tuned up map together with the hardwares?

and when I go in for service, will the Duc guys notice that I have "jailbroken" my Duc ECU?
Most likely what I would do is buy an ECU off of Ebay and send it in for them to flash that based on what I have added to the bike. Then if you have to go in under warranty you can swap the original back in. More expensive but at least you don't have to worry about having to go through the pain of loading the original map (or worrying about it not loading back or being corrupted). Probably overly cautious... but that's me... It's why I have not done my M1100EVO yet... lol

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Most likely what I would do is buy an ECU off of Ebay and send it in for them to flash that based on what I have added to the bike. Then if you have to go in under warranty you can swap the original back in. More expensive but at least you don't have to worry about having to go through the pain of loading the original map (or worrying about it not loading back or being corrupted). Probably overly cautious... but that's me... It's why I have not done my M1100EVO yet... lol
In the US, flashing your ECU does NOT void warranty, Ducati would have to prove that the change to fuel mapping is DIRECTLY responsible for any repair necessitated by this - which is extremely unlikely.

I'm probably going to opt for purchasing the unit outright, my rationale is as follows:

• I like to tinker, and can't resist the tuning opportunities.
  • I do all my own service, and want to be able to reset the service inidcators
  • I have a need to test multiple exhaust & intake modifications
  • I will be able to reload the stock mapping & settings at any time

Reactions: mtb2104

·
Registered
122 Posts
In the US, flashing your ECU does NOT void warranty, Ducati would have to prove that the change to fuel mapping is DIRECTLY responsible for any repair necessitated by this - which is extremely unlikely.

I'm probably going to opt for purchasing the unit outright, my rationale is as follows:

• I like to tinker, and can't resist the tuning opportunities.
  • I do all my own service, and want to be able to reset the service inidcators
  • I have a need to test multiple exhaust & intake modifications
  • I will be able to reload the stock mapping & settings at any time
Me too!
It was fun sharing maps for PC5 with friends of different setups, and use my butt dyno to "fine-tune" some settings when I had my WR250X long time ago
Unfortunately, it seems that Rexxer software is only available on Windows :crying:

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
For 600 bucks do you get everything you need or do you have to buy connector cables to hook it to your bike, etc??? I was having a hard time figuring out what the total price in the end was to have a turnkey option. Also, no emails I'd sent months ago have been replied to.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
For 600 bucks do you get everything you need or do you have to buy connector cables to hook it to your bike, etc??? I was having a hard time figuring out what the total price in the end was to have a turnkey option. Also, no emails I'd sent months ago have been replied to.
The $600 purchase price gets you the all the hardware required (unit and cable), plus a map "tuned" to your specification.

The only guy worth communicating with (and the only one you NEED to) is accessible via email at this address - [email protected]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah Tony, that is very cool... I wish I was more of a tinkerer... lol. I would definitely go that route. Or if I lived closer to you that would be good I could let you do it ha! I know NOTHING about mapping FI bikes lol... and carbs have always been a mystery to me. Good to know on the USA warranty, are you sure about that though?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good to know on the USA warranty, are you sure about that though?
Very sure...

A manufacturer is not permitted - in the US - to deny any warranty claim on the basis that "only manufacturer supplied parts or services" are to be used.

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act was enacted by Congress for this very purpose, and the language in this act is pretty specific, in this regard...

"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts or services be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."

In the case of a normally warrantied failure, the manufacturer would have to prove that any action taken by the consumer is DIRECTLY responsible for that failure, before said repairs are denied.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Really good info, thx dude. If I don't trade in my Monster, I'll end up doing the Rexxer reflash on that. Really digging the Scrambler though, and I really can only justify one bike in the garage. So I either need to trade the Monster or sell it for the Scrambler.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone done the $300 Rexxer re-flash where you send them your ECU? I've been in email contact with David at Rexxer (thanks Tonyjuliano) and he assures me that the re-flash will fix the twitchy fuleing below 4000 rpms. I plan on doing it in about 30 days or so. I'm curiuos to hear from anyone who has actually gotten it done.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
Conrad, I haven't sent the ECU yet -- planning on doing so in about 30 days (early October). I'd like to hear from anyone who has done the $300 re-flash to find out what practical difference it made in the everyday riding/performance of the bike. My thinking is this: I really like many things about this bike, and if I could calm down the twitchy throttle (especially at 4500/5000 rpm and below), the bike would be just about the perfect city bike as far as I'm concerned. If I wait until the aftermarket provides options like a Bazzaz or Power Commander module (who knows when that will happen), I'm looking at more than $300 (the Bazzaz controler for the Monster 696, for instance, is $349). And I'm not really interested in tinkering with the fueling -- a one-time solution that makes the bike more pleasant to ride would be just fine by me. Thus, I don't think $300 is unreasonable if the re-flash works and gives me what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Conrad, I haven't sent the ECU yet -- planning on doing so in about 30 days (early October). I'd like to hear from anyone who has done the $300 re-flash to find out what practical difference it made in the everyday riding/performance of the bike. My thinking is this: I really like many things about this bike, and if I could calm down the twitchy throttle (especially at 4500/5000 rpm and below), the bike would be just about the perfect city bike as far as I'm concerned. If I wait until the aftermarket provides options like a Bazzaz or Power Commander module (who knows when that will happen), I'm looking at more than $300 (the Bazzaz controler for the Monster 696, for instance, is $349). And I'm not really interested in tinkering with the fueling -- a one-time solution that makes the bike more pleasant to ride would be just fine by me. Thus, I don't think $300 is unreasonable if the re-flash works and gives me what I'm looking for.
A new throttle tube would be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
174 Posts
New throttle tube wont fix poor fueling at low rpm. If you want to remap for exhaust and intake mods. Cheap fixes generally mean you will have to spend money later to get it right. Better to do it right the first time is always best

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that a throttle tube is probably all a lot of people need to achieve what DHS1981 is looking for. He asks for "a one-time solution that makes the bike more pleasant to ride".

That's exactly what a throttle tube has done for my bike.

Obviously remapping for modifications is a different issue entirely but I happen to think that the fueling at low RPM is not poor at all, the issue is how much control the standard throttle allows the rider to have over it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm sure this will work in most peoples case. As soon I get my exhaust I will be sending out my ecu to get a Rexxer tune. Having gone through a few bikes that were tuned properly. They all ran much better throughout the rev range, more power, and throttle response was much improved. If your running a stock bike I would say leave it that way. I have gotten used to twitchy throttle for now. Rode it in the dirt recently found it was much more noticeable again. Everyone has a different goal or outcome as far as what they want from their scrambler.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
You can fix it correctly, or apply a band-aid, everyone gets to make their own choices (but I never will understand the band-aid concept). $300, one time, fixes this and a myriad of other issues - plus gives more power, and a cooler running motor.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I was concerned that applying the Rexxer map would be a waste as at service time the Ducati software will over right the map if there is an update but after talking with the mechanic at my delaer today he said the Ducati software will see its a custom map and will not try and replace it.

I think I will be going the Rexxer route, do it once do it right :)

21 - 40 of 114 Posts