Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
The fuel pump fittings(and therefore the tank) can be removed without a special tool. I did it today. These are the instructions the dealer gave me:
"Push the elbow fitting in slightly to take the pressure off of it then push the collar in firmly and then pull the elbow fitting out of the fuel pump." Seems to good to be true? well it is... the mechanic I talked to also gave me this advice..."I tried until my hands were sore and then for some reason it came out and I don't know what I did differently". I had the very same experience, tried and tried and tried again and then it came out. Part of the problem is trying to get my XL paws under the tank to work. I didn't wan't to put to much tension on the fuel lines/fittings so you can only lift the tank so far.

The electrical connection came off without a fuss and the vent hoses needed a bit of coaxing before they slid off. Also Note, the vent hoses are two different sizes. So I thought, "great you can't mix them up , Very clever Ducati..." and when I went to reinstall them... I noticed the tubes coming out of the tank are the same size, DOH! So either hose will fit. I don't know if it actually matters which one goes where, but why use two different OD hoses with the same ID ?!?!?. lastly, the mechanic also said..."don't brake anything, the fuel pump costs about a grand"...

So I was able to swap my pump and cap over to a freshly painted tank and install...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Oh Lordy... but thanks for sharing the advice and details. That glossy black looks great.

Sarah

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kisterco

Hey would you mind sharing the 3D file so I can get a friend to print a couple for me please? He has some nice tools at his shop and the has offered to print things for me in the past so this seems like the best thing I can have him do for me.

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello

Having read on many forums that the tank removal was complex and dangerous for the gasoline hose connection, I would advise those who remove their tank to install on the hose those instant connectors that can be disconnected without any tools.

You just need to cut the hose to install both parts of the connector and then reconnect the OEM connector in the tank, but when the tank is not already mounted on the bike, which is certainly easier. Maybe, you can even cut the hose during the first removal of the tank, so you don't have at all to disconnect the OEM connector from the tank.

I already had two pairs of such connectors on my Ducati ST2 and it doesn't create any problems in the injection system.

They look like this :
Where can I get my hands on a set of these?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, I'm in the U.S. I actually found some on amazon with some quick searching but now i'm trying to find the existing fuel line size so I get the right ones. I feel like this would be a smart addition rather than messing with those plastic elbows at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, I'm in the U.S. I actually found some on amazon with some quick searching but now i'm trying to find the existing fuel line size so I get the right ones. I feel like this would be a smart addition rather than messing with those plastic elbows at all.
I'm interested in going this route as well. Please keep us posted on what you come up with and how it works out for you.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yesterday I managed to remove the tank after some 6h of fighting with the fuel lines.
At first I tried to remove the fittings with my bare hands and the above instructions from ride2kill, but I wasn't able to push the collar in and the fitting out at the same time with enough force with one hand...
So I thought, maybe I could try to use some round plastic to mimic that blue one they are selling (Motowheels: Ducati Scrambler fuel plug kit W/ Disconnect tool)... I tried several things... like a felt pen cap with a cut on the side, but no luck... then I saw the yellowish plastic washer from the clutch lever which I had previously replace with a shorter lever, I made a little cut on the side, like in the blue one, I try it in and it fits perfectly, so I push in hard on the elbow and then out while jiggling and it came out! I was like "Hallelujah!".
The vent hoses have the same inside and outside diameter for me, but they were not easy to take out, pushing and twisting hard didn't worked, they were kind of glued at the tip, I had to use a flat screw drive and push down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hallelujah!! Thank you, andre! Any sort of pictures and details are a big help to the rest of us.

Wonder if Vincelp ever found any quick connectors?

Sarah

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're welcome ;)
I have the fuel tank at the paint shop for the next week or so but if you guys want more pictures I don't mind.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Took my tank off in about half an hour today. I was able to do it so quickly because the tank had already been removed before at the dealership. My technician said it's always easier the second time after everything gets unstuck...the vent hoses came off by themselves haha.

I also think it helped that I slid the tank a little to the back and then up which gave me more room to work. I was able to use both hands and with a flashlight even see what I was doing. If someone was holding the tank for me it would have been even easier.

I took the tank off to get it powder coated. Can the rubber washers at the back of the tank be removed or does the heating process not hurt them? And any tips I can get on removing the fuel pump would be appreciated. Or any comments on powder coating vs regular spray painting would be great.

PS the larger OD tubing goes on the right side.

·
Registered
447 Posts
No Sarah, but I think the tool would be well worth it at $20. I tried to disconnect the hoses with one hand but I just couldn't do it. It didn't take a lot of pressure but I needed two fingers to depress the flange/collar and the other hand to push/pull the hose. You might be able to get it done with one hand if you had the tool and in any event, I think it would at least be easier. And seeing how long it can take with some of these 'stuck' hoses, I would definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thank you, I will have the tool on hand before I try this. I'll have a helper or two, too. But for those going this alone, would it help to fashion a sling for the tank, and suspend it from the ceiling some way? That would leave both hands free to work. Our garage door brackets are handy for straps, and we make use of them for various jobs.

Sarah

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm looking to take the tank off my Scrambler for the first time. I have a 2017 model FT. I see there's a special tool available from Motowheels.com designed to depress the locking collar. Is that absolutely essential to get the job done?

Any tips and tricks to doing it without the special tool? I've ordered one but it will take a couple of days to get here.

thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello

Having read on many forums that the tank removal was complex and dangerous for the gasoline hose connection, I would advise those who remove their tank to install on the hose those instant connectors that can be disconnected without any tools.

You just need to cut the hose to install both parts of the connector and then reconnect the OEM connector in the tank, but when the tank is not already mounted on the bike, which is certainly easier. Maybe, you can even cut the hose during the first removal of the tank, so you don't have at all to disconnect the OEM connector from the tank.

I already had two pairs of such connectors on my Ducati ST2 and it doesn't create any problems in the injection system.

They look like this :
Hello Vince, the link to the quick coupler for the fuel lines in your answer of this thread is broken.
do you still have it or can you repaste it?
This would be great!
thank you
Wonko

21 - 38 of 38 Posts