Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title of this thread will probably annoy Ducati fans, but as someone who is seriously interested in one of these bikes, relaibility is a concern, not least because the nearest Ducati dealer is 120 miles away. So let's know what the score is? Do they break down? That's all I want to know. Occasional cutting out and other idiosyncracies don't worry me, but breakdowns do.

Regards to all, Nick

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have put 6,000 miles on my 2015 Scrambler. No issues at all. I have a 2013 Monster 796 with 7,500 miles- had one issue when new that was covered under warranty (defective ECU and/or TPS). I have tracked the Monster 796 for 10% of its mileage at COTA in Austin. Also had an older 2004 Multistrada that was trouble free for 7,000 miles- sold to my buddy who has ridden it another 3,000 miles this year.

I really think the negative reliability reputation for Ducati is unwarranted. I have not had any issues on my three Ducati motorcycles with combined mileage exceeding 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
12,000km with the FullThrottle,no problem.
It is my 9th(!) Ducati,i never had big issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh I think you'll get honest answers. We're not that sold on the brand that it can do no wrong :)

I only have 2500 kms on mine but all have been trouble free. A bit of popping and frapping at the back in the cold but no biggie, in fact I quite like it :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had mine for more than a year and 18000 km.

- I've had three oil leaks (two because of the oil filter and one because a bolt wasn't torqued correctly from factory)
- I've got a warped front rotor
- Screws in the fuel cap and a washer on the exhaust are rusting
- Some little plastic thing hidden behind a bit of fairing, mounted to the frame which is connected to the lamda sensor just broke and fell off
- Chain rusts easily if not carefully lubed (never had that on my other bikes to this extreme)

These are just the issues that I categorize as reliability. There are others like comfort.

Service and repairs from Ducati were free so far but my bike spent 3 months at the dealer for repairs and communication was painful. It usually takes them at least a month each time to order a part from Italy for the many parts that they don't have stock here albeit them making the bikes here (Thailand) which I find unacceptable. They also didn't keep their word on numerous occasions.

For me, Ducati was and is pretty shabby in terms of reliability. I'm pretty sure I wont be buying another Ducati in the near future even though I love the emotional side of them. I am at a crossroads as to if I will sell my Scrambler or not. I'd have to put quite a bit of cash (nearly $2k) into it to fix its deficiencies like suspension, seat and fueling. Stuff that should be at least "ok" from factory. I love the bike's looks and handling. It got enough power for city rides too. There's not much like it. But I really would like to not have to deal with the issues anymore and fear that at some point it's gonna just break when out of warranty.

I guess I was chosen to counterbalance the other guys good experiences :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, and that's interesting, eisfeld. The Thai dealer I would buy from is in Chiang Mai as I will be living in Chiang Rai. What I don't want is to have to transport the bike down to Chiang Rai for any problems to be rectified, although the ones you mention are not breakdown issues, but they are nonetheless things which should not be happening.

Maybe you've been unlucky, but even if you have, this suggests a shoddy set-up. Is the problem at assembly in Thailand? Or with the parts?

If you sell the Scrambler, what would you replace it with?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks everyone, and that's interesting, eisfeld. The Thai dealer I would buy from is in Chiang Mai as I will be living in Chiang Rai. What I don't want is to have to transport the bike down to Chiang Rai for any problems to be rectified, although the ones you mention are not breakdown issues, but they are nonetheless things which should not be happening.

Maybe you've been unlucky, but even if you have, this suggests a shoddy set-up. Is the problem at assembly in Thailand? Or with the parts?

If you sell the Scrambler, what would you replace it with?
I've heard good and bad things about the Chiang Mai dealer. I only visited their showroom once and the sales guy there didn't really know what he was talking about. There was another guy who had to wait more than 2 months to get some part fixed for his Hypermotard. I think Ducati Thailand in general has issues with their parts handling and it wont matter much where you buy the bike in that regard.

The oil leak where the bolt came loose certainly was a breakdown issue and a truck had to get it back to the dealer. That happened within 24h of me collecting the bike btw and I had to remind them about a dozen times in the course of over 9 months to get the 3k THB that I had to pay for the truck. Also took more than half a year to get a license plate because they lost my paperwork or were too slow to register the bike (as the residency certificate from immigration is valid for 30 days). My problems were amplified because I bought the bike at the BKK motorshow so it was registered in BKK but I live in Phuket.

The problems, I believe, are a combination of Ducati not designing the bikes in a "bulletproof" manner and the quality of workmanship in this part of the world not being exactly stellar.

About which bike I would replace it with: I'm looking at the BMW S1000R at the moment. I know it's a completely different bike and BMW also doesn't have a clean trackrecord in terms of reliability but I'm open to always give things a try. A Honda Africa Twin is also on the shopping list for touring purposes so I'd always have a spare bike when the other is in repairs :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard good and bad things about the Chiang Mai dealer. I only visited their showroom once and the sales guy there didn't really know what he was talking about. There was another guy who had to wait more than 2 months to get some part fixed for his Hypermotard. I think Ducati Thailand in general has issues with their parts handling and it wont matter much where you buy the bike in that regard.

The oil leak where the bolt came loose certainly was a breakdown issue and a truck had to get it back to the dealer. That happened within 24h of me collecting the bike btw and I had to remind them about a dozen times in the course of over 9 months to get the 3k THB that I had to pay for the truck. Also took more than half a year to get a license plate because they lost my paperwork or were too slow to register the bike (as the residency certificate from immigration is valid for 30 days). My problems were amplified because I bought the bike at the BKK motorshow so it was registered in BKK but I live in Phuket.

The problems, I believe, are a combination of Ducati not designing the bikes in a "bulletproof" manner and the quality of workmanship in this part of the world not being exactly stellar.

About which bike I would replace it with: I'm looking at the BMW S1000R at the moment. I know it's a completely different bike and BMW also doesn't have a clean trackrecord in terms of reliability but I'm open to always give things a try. A Honda Africa Twin is also on the shopping list for touring purposes so I'd always have a spare bike when the other is in repairs :)
You wouldn't consider a Yamaha MT-09?

I would prefer the Scrambler (Full Throttle), but I'll probably end up going for Japanese reliability and the MT-09's engine is very flexible.

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you ever get to Chiang Rai? Nippy in winter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The title of this thread will probably annoy Ducati fans, but as someone who is seriously interested in one of these bikes, relaibility is a concern, not least because the nearest Ducati dealer is 120 miles away. So let's know what the score is? Do they break down? That's all I want to know. Occasional cutting out and other idiosyncracies don't worry me, but breakdowns do.

Regards to all, Nick
Major oil leak at 300 miles. Cam seal replaced under warranty. 300 more miles and crossing fingers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello

My Scrambler has got 9000 km and I have no problems with it.
I sold my previous Ducati, an ST2, after 120000 km and it is still on the road after lot more km.

So, I would say that Ducati are as reliable as any other bike brand. Just need to do the services right in time and with Ducati original parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello

My Scrambler has got 9000 km and I have no problems with it.
I sold my previous Ducati, an ST2, after 120000 km and it is still on the road after lot more km.

So, I would say that Ducati are as reliable as any other bike brand. Just need to do the services right in time and with Ducati original parts.
That sounds more like it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
WARNING: This could be bullshit from me...

But I found with my last Ducati (a 748) it was great when it was getting ridden regularly. If I garaged it for a while I always had issues.

That was in the UK where I did that fairly often, sometimes for months. I now live in Australia so I get out a lot more frequently on the Scrambler and, touch wood, no issues at all. Though as I pointed out earlier I'm less than 3000kms at the moment.

Fair-weather rider or what! :laugh:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought mine from Ducati in Buriram last year in April. I’ve taken it for two services there and then again for two services in Bangkok at the main dealer. The only problem was two oil leaks (one from Buriram and one from BKK) because of a loose oil filter but it was fixed promptly and properly. My Scrambler has 17,000 km and I’ve not had any problems or breakdowns.

I guess it's the luck of the draw but I find my Scrambler very reliable. I'll have no reservations to jump on the bike now and go for a long ride. In fact, I might just do that....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought my Icon at the Chiang Mai dealership and have had zero problems.
I find the mechanics are knowledgeable and do good work (based on my scheduled services).
I just had my 12k service and have had several oil and filter changes with no leaking issues.
I have popped in to have some minor issues taken care of like chain tightening and they dropped everything and took care of it right away, no charge.
The only deal with being in Chiang Rai is you'd have to come down here for the service work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought my Icon at the Chiang Mai dealership and have had zero problems.
I find the mechanics are knowledgeable and do good work (based on my scheduled services).
I just had my 12k service and have had several oil and filter changes with no leaking issues.
I have popped in to have some minor issues taken care of like chain tightening and they dropped everything and took care of it right away, no charge.
The only deal with being in Chiang Rai is you'd have to come down here for the service work.
How is it that oil filters leak? I've changed the oil and filter on several bikes and never had one leak. What do they do; not tighten it sufficiently? Seems strange to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The oil filter issue is probably a combination of the filter being in a very exposed (dare I say stupid?) location, being a bit prone to leak when not tightened correctly plus I think the torque figure in the manual not being correct. Don't quote me on either of these but I remember a thread where people discussed this last point.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts