Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Stumped me too, silverluxe. There was some discussion on Advrider about using a Buell shock, here's a copy and paste of the specs just in case you're interested:

"These aren't my shocks, but I do have one I was able to measure. Upper eye (right end of the shocks shown) is approximately 5/16" diameter x 1-1/4" long. Lower connection is 1-1/4" wide, bolt is approximately 5/16" diameter. Available lengths for various XB models include:

STT - 14.25
X - 15.0
SS - 13.625
S - 14.0
SCG- 13.25

"So I got around to measuring my stock shock. Here are the same measurements you took for the XB shock, but for the Ducati. I used my digital caliper, so my measurements are very precise.

Eye Diameter: 0.38" (the 5/16 you measured on the Buell equates to 0.3125")
Eye Length: 1.2055" (1.25" length on the XB)
Eye Width: 0.8730"
Clevis Exterior Width: 1.2745"
Clevis Interior Width: 0.9220"
Bolt: 0.38"
Length: 12.5"

They are pretty close to that you measured on the buell, and I suspect that had I used a ruler or tape measure rather than the caliper, they'd be exactly the same. So it looks like a Buell XB shock could bolt on to a Scrambler."

Just in case that info is worth something. I had Road King shocks on a Sportster, and a buddy had Kawasaki shocks on a Bonneville, so you never know. If you happen to figure out a spring swap please pass the word.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
timbo,

Note that the shortest Buell shock is .75" longer than our factory shock. Per the Advrider discussion that shouldn't pose a problem other than raising seat height. I abandoned the plan upon hearing that, I don't want to be on tiptoe.

Sarah

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
I'm definitely interested in experimenting if anyone can provide some OEM part numbers or places to search for coil springs. I can use a compressor and remove the stock one and try out the new ones if I can just find them :)

We also need to come up with a replacement bushing for the shock as well since they seem to be tearing the rubber prematurely (probably because the spring is so stiff.)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Marlon,

Scroll on down to post #32 by Hughlysses and go from there:

Ducati Scrambler - not for me | Page 2 | Adventure Rider

Thinking a little more, seems I read on one of the forums a concern that the chain might possibly hit the swingarm with a shock much longer than stock? If you decide to look into this, please let us know what you find.

Sarah

·
Registered
3 Posts
spring size

1963wak, I'm with you on this, I have contacted shock-factory.co.uk about the supply of a new spring. I wish someone could come up with a spring replacement as it appears the OE spring is tapered, Ive not removed mine yet. Can you confirm this? They can supply a 7 inch spring in either an internal diameter of 49mm or 57mm. Im assuming I may need the larger diameter and make a collar for the top of the spring, but would i not then be better going for the 6 inch spring or Im going to jack up the rear. Would I be correct? I hope you can help. Cheers.

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
I just looked at the original post. The replacement spring is K-Tech part number

57-160 - 975

marked in K-Tech catalogue as Aprilia fitment (RSV1000,RSV4,Tuono) and Ducati (748,749,916,996,998,1098,1198)

So that may help people cross reference more options. Maybe, maybe not?

We also have to remember we all weigh different amounts. It'd be great to figure out what spring rates work best for what weights of humans.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ended up with Mike at Racetech (951-279-6655) since he had the spring in stock. Ordered a 7.00" X 2.25" 476 in/lb spring and 4 sizing collars. If any of you decide to call, both these guys have a pile of springs in various rates (Traxxion lists them in 25 in/lb increments) and will help you figure out what you need. I'll post back when I have the parts in hand and we'll go from there.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
OK, here we go with our brand new 476 in/lb Racetech spring:

Notice that cut off hex wrench, that's what you'll need to access that lower shock bolt, unless you'd rather remove the passenger peg bracket. We used Smifff's trick and put the Toyota's scissor jack between the rear wheel and fender, made it super easy to pull the bolts and lift the shock out. You can get to the nut at the top with an open end wrench, just go straight up from the footpeg and finagle a bit. We went the homemade route and used 3 hefty hose clamps as a spring compressor. Cheap enough for sure and did the trick, but these springs are so short we were running out of bite on our clamps by the time we got them cranked enough to compress. If any of you decide to go this route be sure to get clamps that bite nearly their entire length. We got around the problem by using blocks of wood to add some bulk:

The real hitch came with Racetech's sizing collars. They were perfect for the bottom of the shock, but too big and sloppy at the top. Racetech had very little to go on, so this whole project was a guess. We got some aluminum from a machine shop buddy and as wak did earlier, Doug set in making a collar to fit. You can see the Racetech collar compared to Doug's:

Racetech collar:

Collar Doug made:

I'm hoping Racetech can supply a collar with a better fit for the rest of you, as I said they had very little to go on as this was their first go round with a Scrambler. Here's Doug's collar along with the specs he noted:

(Thank you, thank you, Doug!)

Here it is put together:

And on the bike:

Now how about the ride? A definite, definite improvement. I can actually feel the bike soaking up the bumps rather than the bumps skittering my butt on the seat. Actually sort of an odd sensation after being jarred and jostled for so long. I could have used a lighter spring for sure; I weigh 136lb geared to ride, and I have just under an inch sag at the lightest preload setting. Doug, at 175lbs, feels it's perfect for him and is impressed with the improvement. I may talk to Racetech about a swap, or maybe not; we plan to ride the bikes out West for vacation next week, and I don't want to be putting the bike back together right before we leave. Hand's down, I can tell you it's an improvement over the factory shock just as is.

Sarah

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sarah

Looks like a simple and effective solution. So the half inch off the fork.spacer and softer spring for maybe $150 is a huge improvement? I don't have time to do it now and will await your long trip report but looks like a good mod. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
52 Posts
This mod makes more sense to me than changing the shock, though I don't understand why a progressive spring is bad per se; if you fitted a softer progressive spring you'd get the same improvement, plus the other benefits?

How much would a dealer charge for fitting, a couple hours labour?

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
21 - 40 of 44 Posts