Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear Shock Cured for £10

The first thing I noticed when I first rode my scrambler was it had the worse rear suspension I had ever come across and this includes vintage bikes.I could not believe the shock could be that bad. Anyway after playing with the pre load I concluded the spring was at fault.No one fits progressive springs do they ?Anyway iv change the spring for a straight one and it as transformed the bike,no more jolts over pot holes !And the damping seems fine .The original spring measured up at 589lb/inch the spring I fitted was 530lb/inch.The fix cost £10 ,plenty of springs on ebay ,you need to look at sizes around 175mm long , 50mm inside diameter and 530lb/inch rate (97.5kgcm)

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a great suggestion - I like short-cuts to success (as long as they are genuinely of some benefit)

I'm afraid I have to impolitely enquire about your weight! (I'm now a little on the lardy side around 95kg so spring rates need to cope with such shock loadings!)

Cheers

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With my gear on I must be 14,8 stone ,I'm not one for buying in to the spend £600 on a shock fix ,don't get me wrong I know they are good but maybe sit back and think what the problem is, iv seen people go on about damping rates etc but how do they know the dampings no good if they havnt got the spring right??? another thing that's gets me is the amount of people who think winding up the pre load makes the shock harder !

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the spring being progressive doesn't help, as for the front there are several things to try before going down the new cartridge route, Pre load spacers to reduce sag, less oil to give lower spring weight, different grade oil to change damping rate, and the great thing is you only have to play with the leg with the damper in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the only tools needed apart from a 6 & 8mm allen keys was a cheap pair of motorcycle shock spring compressors ,sag is a personal pref I'm running 40mm laden ,don't fall in to the trap of too much sag thinking its a softer ride,it just means you've got less travel left and set your steering at a more lazy angle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
OK, my stock spring gives me 7mm static and then 40mm laden like you. But I am probably a stone or more heavier at 15 10 togged up.
I'm on the "not quite the highest" preload setting.
I'm surprised. I think the companies like Nitron, Ohlins and M shock all run around 700 lbs. straight rate springs.
I expected your sag to be greater but there you go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pre loaded the spring by 25mm , standard was 15mm,im on the lowest setting on the cam ring so iv got a bit in reserve for 2 up work. 700lb seems a lot ,115 more than standard? I found the standard one far too hard over pot holes etc,i also feel the progressive spring didn't suit the damping.But the point is for the low cost (my spring cost £10 on ebay) its got to be worth ago. I came to the spring rate by a process that will make most people shake their heads, I reasoned that on a nicely sprung twin shock of the same weight 180lb over the axle worked well for me so as the ducati as a 3-1 advantage 530lb would be ok...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a good economical alternative .I have looked on Ebay for a spring of the dimensions that you quoted but have been unable to find any.1963wak would it be possible for you to post a link to the spring that you purchased please.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The spring i fitted was a guess in the sizing as i got it before i had taken the old one off,i ended up with a K-tech 160mm long 57mm internal 97.5kg ,i had to make a spacer at the adjuster end 25mm long with a step to locate the spring as it was too loose around the cam ring.if you go on some suspension sites they list the sizes and fitment i.e. if you see one at the size i listed in the first post and its for a blade then look for one on ebay for a blade...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there

Been reading this with interest, are you saying that using a spring 175mm long (rather than the 160mm you used) will negate the need for the spacer that you made.

Does the ID of the spring affect the need for the spacer.

Regardless of the spring rate, what are the optimum dimensions I.D. and length (im guessing 50 175 975) using the same spring rate as yours (if such a size exists).

Sorry if i sound thick but as I don't have your engineering skills I want to make sure I can buy a spring and it will fit,

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
323 Posts
2500 to 3500 km seemed to have worked and also fitting a Gel Pad to the standard seat.

I will only consider a suspension upgrade if I have money to spend but only to improve an already more than adequate suspension.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You must have some super smooth tarmac in Germany Slaine - I can honestly say the Scrambler has the worst standard suspension of any bike I have ridden, and most of my bikes have been in excess of 20 years old. I resent having to spend money on upgrading suspension on a new bike.
I cannot believe this problem was not picked up by the numerous road tests by "professionals" when the Scrambler was launched.
Ducati have really not lived up to my expectations.

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
What should I be searching ebay for in order to find these? I'm not turning up any 50mmx175mm coil springs when I look on there.

I didn't even find anywhere to buy new springs by size on the internet. All the makers want you to enter your year/make/model and that's not going to turn up anything.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts