Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Ducati NightShift 800cc

Researched and thought an oil change would be easy enough to perform myself, ended up having some issues. Also there is no ducati dealers or shops around me (in the middle of no where).

I warmed the bike up for 10 minutes prior to starting the change. I but a piece of wood under the stand to keep it more upright and took the drain plug out. Oil flowed and collected in my collection pan. When it stopped I was surprised because only like 1-2 quarts came out (I believe the bike has 3.7). I tried to move the bike around to make more come out and didn't have success. Then I removed and replaced the filter.

Tho putting the oil back in was strange because the internet says it should take 3 and I tried to put 3 in. I put too much in (didnt check the hourglass when cold , checked when hot).

I took it for a short ride and noticed some white smoke coming from the exhaust area -> this is prob from too much oil.

I think Im going to drive to a shop to have them look at it but wanted to see:

A) Why didn't more oil drain out?

B) How bad it running the bike on too much oil?

Thank you! Was an interesting learning experience for me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Small update (mainly posting in case I can help future people).

A) Bike didnt drain all the way because it wasn't properly upright (even having just the rear stand isn't good, needs to be level)

B) Not the end of the world with too much oil, siphon off or drain and fill again (but ya gonna need to buy more oil).

·
Registered
10 Posts
2021 Ducati NightShift 800cc

Researched and thought an oil change would be easy enough to perform myself, ended up having some issues. Also there is no ducati dealers or shops around me (in the middle of no where).

I warmed the bike up for 10 minutes prior to starting the change. I but a piece of wood under the stand to keep it more upright and took the drain plug out. Oil flowed and collected in my collection pan. When it stopped I was surprised because only like 1-2 quarts came out (I believe the bike has 3.7). I tried to move the bike around to make more come out and didn't have success. Then I removed and replaced the filter.

Tho putting the oil back in was strange because the internet says it should take 3 and I tried to put 3 in. I put too much in (didnt check the hourglass when cold , checked when hot).

I took it for a short ride and noticed some white smoke coming from the exhaust area -> this is prob from too much oil.

I think Im going to drive to a shop to have them look at it but wanted to see:

A) Why didn't more oil drain out?

B) How bad it running the bike on too much oil?

Thank you! Was an interesting learning experience for me
I did the same thing . No worries just drain the excess oil out until it’s at the half way mark on the oil window when the bike is upright. I would do it right away and don’t keep riding until you get the oil level correct . Don’t be discouraged I’m sure a lot of people have done the same thing . Good luck 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts