Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Paid through the nose yesterday for the first 1000km oil change/checks.
Fine, I will pay for the first service to be done by the dealer.

However, they recommend that the oil be replaced ( Motul ) every 6000km and NOT at the 12000KM manual recommendation.

Any thoughts on this, or is this the dealer looking to optimize their income?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello all,

Paid through the nose yesterday for the first 1000km oil change/checks.
Fine, I will pay for the first service to be done by the dealer.

However, they recommend that the oil be replaced ( Motul ) every 6000km and NOT at the 12000KM manual recommendation.

Any thoughts on this, or is this the dealer looking to optimize their income?

Thanks all.
I would tend to agree with them. Even if you use a full synthetic. I run full synthetics in all my cars and do 10,000 MILE (not KM) changes, however, in my opinion, an oil/air cooled motorcycle engine should be treated to frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd say your dealer is looking to optimise their income.
The service schedule calls for an oil change every 12,000km (7,500 miles) or 12 months which ever comes first. However, most owners though won't cover 12,000 miles in 12 months and many not even 6,000km so a lot of oil will be changed before the mileage is reached. Some owners will change the oil every 3,000km, or less, as a matter of course.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've always done 3k mile or annual oil change interval. (On my 1966 Bonnie, which uses non synthetic and got no filter, it's more like 1k) I'll probably do 3750 mile change myself, and let the dealer do the official 7.5k one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just for fun it would be interesting to send in an oil sample to one of the companies that test oil condition after different intervals. The only thing is the cost of the test but if you can get an idea what the mileage range is where the synthetic starts to deteriorate then base your changes on that you would save money in the long run.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just for fun it would be interesting to send in an oil sample to one of the companies that test oil condition after different intervals. The only thing is the cost of the test but if you can get an idea what the mileage range is where the synthetic starts to deteriorate then base your changes on that you would save money in the long run.

I already had such a discussion with a friend of mine whose company is specialized in engine surface treatments (ceramic coating), for racing cars and heavy use engines. They made studies on the best oil for their treated engines and one of the results of their studies was that the synthetic oils were able to last lot more longer that requested by most manufacturers, without loosing any of their protection capabilities.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I already had such a discussion with a friend of mine whose company is specialized in engine surface treatments (ceramic coating), for racing cars and heavy use engines. They made studies on the best oil for their treated engines and one of the results of their studies was that the synthetic oils were able to last lot more longer that requested by most manufacturers, without loosing any of their protection capabilities.
I had seen some various test results as well and I think people here would be pleasantly surprised at how long the synthetic oil protects even with an air cooled motor. Being an old guy I remember doing oil changes on my bikes and my cars at a strict 3000 mile or even sooner depending on use.

That's just not necessary anymore with the current lubricants and manufacturing processes that are done with newer motors. It has been a long time opinion that the maintenance intervals were always too short to enhance the dealer's pocket more than anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts