Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I guess I was unlucky! I bought a second hand 2016 icon blind during lock down. It had history and came from a Honda dealer in Northern France, with a 3 month guarantee. At about 5 months the clutch went and I changed it myself. Dead easy job. I put 10w40 oil in as that was what was on the last service invoice. (I learned later that this was the wrong oil) 馃槩Anyway 4000 kms on from my purchase the bikes gone in for a big service as it was using huge amounts of oil. 1 litre every 400 kms!!!! No real surprise but when the mechanic has stripped it down he's found lots of problems and says it needs a full rebuild costing around 5000 euros. I only paid 4800 for the bike.

Allowing for mistranslation he's saying con rod, camshaft, pistons and cylinders, valve seats, closers etc etc. He's well known locally and judged to be knowledgeable and fair in his pricing, not 脿 crook.

There are 2020 motors on ebay for under 2000 euros with 4000 kms. My question is will a 2020 engine be exactly swappable into a 2016 bike? Is it too big a risk as its used and obviously out of a crashed bike?

I know prices will seem mad to UK readers but I'm on the French / Swiss border and have a choice of expensive or really f*ing expensive places to fix the bike.

All info welcomed. Bought with 15000kms now has 19000 kms. Very tidy bike. It was running fine, just using lots of oil. None in airbox or on floor

Registered
I have to ask, so for 5 months it was fine, then clutch replaced and oil changed after which it immediately started using excessive oil?
...and camshaft, conrod need replacing?
Can't see how 10w40 caused that. Sounds like it's been run with 00w0.(no oil)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say that there might be an element of truth there. When the guy delivered it he said 'remember to check the oil, its a ducati haha' and I did infrequently and topped it up. That viewing glass is a pain and I've only had jap bikes before so never had to do it weekly or anything. It wasn't noticeably smoking and none on the floor. After the clutch went I suppose I became much more paranoid and started noting when I put oil in and how much each time. Quite possibly it had often gone below minimum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts