Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
wanted to share a few pics of the mods so far.
Previous mobile version of the forum did not let me post pics for some reason (managed only once) and I am not allowed to upload any pictures from work :( and at home, there are just other more important things to do :-D
Mods as many others have done, so far:
- termi race slip on
- dart flyscreen
- fabricated crash bar
- fabricated rear rack (too long IMO, will probably get one 1/2 shorter)
- fabricated side support for bags
- CarDip UK RAL 7022 (umbra grey) vinyl paint with fuel resistant coat
- vinyl wrapped side panels (brushed titanium)

In another thread I mentioned my attempt to replicate SW Motech´s crash bar and was asked to post more detailed ones so here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
K-Tech front Trackers and rear shock (gold) installed last week as well as re-made and widened the seat.
Did not have chance to ride it yet :(
Next fenders, slim turn signals and maybe another windshield or bash plate..

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am jealous of your skills, Martin! Thanks for the pictures, looking forward to more.

Sarah

Sarah,
no need to be jealous this time ;)
K-Tech suspension was installed by their partner here in Slovakia.
I must admit their workshop looked cleaner than my kitchen! They also have dyno there so maybe I will visit them soon again :)
And the seat, well, I did insert some foam and re-used original cover at first, but I was not confident enough to re-shape the seat and considered to buy Mustang seat for a while (and go through the hassle of Importing large item from US) but then I did some research and found a guy on Czech/German border, that had good reputation on local motorcycle forums and gave him a call. The seat was 150 EUR incl. shiping. Re-shaped foam and new cover.
Extreme-Polster
At the moment I am playing around with fiberglass to make slim seat pan, similar to Mugelo to have another seat for shorter ride with some side panels made from aluminum or steel.. Will see how it goes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something along Rizoma Scrambler package maybe ?
Rear shorter and a little wider than classic. And front close to classic but with sharper edges.
Not sure yet. But I am not a big fan of "fenda extenda" look - reminds me of my Grandmas bicycle with rubber extension on extremly long old school fender.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

In case anyone needs product ID, I am posting part No for footpegs, footpeg rubbers and rubber pads that are used to attach the tank to the black plastic tank protector in front. (Managed to loose one and Ducati only sells them in bulk - 10pcs)

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sarah,

I only had a chance to ride it around town a little and need to play with the front cartidges too. But going through the potholes and bumps around town was simply unbelievable.. No more hop hop pogo stick bump bump if you know what I mean :)
Will report again as soon as I get a real chance to ride it out of town, but right now the bike will probably go to spend some time at the dealer (clutch + popping and strange throttle in decel when rev matching described in exhaust thread)
And it is easter holidays too, so I guess it will take them longer than usual..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm ready to start shopping for a rear shock and trying to make a list of the options. If I might pick your brain a bit more, what made you decide on the Bullitt? The black & chrome is $499 shipped; that's right at $150 less than some of the other basic shocks I've seen. Thank you again.

Sarah

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, at first I wanted Adreani cartidges + Ohlins DU 505.

I sent a few emails around and asked certified places how much would it cost and when they can do it (special tool needed for the front left fork to extract OEM parts).
Company I chose had great references locally, they also have certified dyno and they prepare bikes (mostly Honda) for tracks. https://www.motomaxx.sk/suspension-workshop
They also gave me better price than Adreani official site on both the shock and cartridges. :)

Then, in January as I was about to give them a call and the owner sent me an e-mail with K-Tech stuff. When I asked about the price, they said it would be the same: 1.100,- EUR, including VAT and all the work, It was very new, almost no info online, only few promo articles mostly from HD and Indian application. But he assured me, that he was there, in their factory in UK, saw how they do it, and that he has great experience with them. I also wrote an e-mail to K tech and Chris was very nice to reply and answer to me directly too.

And I really liked the look of the shock so I decided to go with K-tech.. ;)

When I brought the bike to the shop, I was pleasantly surprised. The "suspension room" was cleaner than my own apartment will ever be. Certificates and special tools all around the room, etc. I knew I made a good choice..

I really wish I could give you more info about the riding experience, but despite the fact that I have it almost a month now I had really little chance to ride it :(

IMHO all the aftermarket shocks should be a great improvement and it is the same with cartidges.
Instead of playing around with springs in front and oil level and ricor intiminators and racetech emulators and other funny things I had to do on my Harley I just decided to buy cartidge this time and leave it alone, once I am happy with the setting..
Week later, they called that everything is ready,

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thank you very much, Martin! I like the look of the Bullit too, and the price. And like you, I've researched and found only a bit of info in regard to HD and Indian. I keep wondering what would happen in case the strut fails some way; with a conventional shock you could at least limp home with the spring. I'll ponder a bit more. Again, thanks so much for sharing your experience and thoughts on the matter.

Sarah

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Re: Shocks
I was finally able to ride my bike today, even though it was only 5°C in the morning I went to the local track and took their all day course, learnt a lot and absolutely loved the shock and front cartridges. No more chicken strips on the new rear tire;)
Rear shock uses cca 80% of its travel as you can see on one of the pictures enclosed. Not sure about all the gunk there, maybe it is dust + oil from the chain and the golden shock attracts it or seal is not tight enough and it leaks? No idea there but I will send the pics to K-tech and ask them if it is supposed to be like that..

Main reason why it took so long to ride it was that I had a little project running :) Sorry about my English, usual coffee talk is fine, but more technical details, especially CNC machining can be hard for me to understand and not to write a poem about my journey into this completely new world to me ;)
I had a great help from my father, who is now retired and has some :D free time. He has technical kind of college and can imagine problems with my ideas a lot sooner than me :p

It all started with one member posting pictures of his scrambler with Watsen design led turn signals.
I really loved how small they are compared to those bulky blinkers on a meter long stalk that we have on Scramblers..
But their web site was closed for several months, claiming to finish June orders on Christmas.. I could not wait that long :)

At first, I thought I can buy some T10 high intensity automotive LED and cast it in UV stable resin and spray it black.. ha ha ha fail :)

So I wisted local company, guys that do a lot of custom 3D designs, prototyping and so on and asked them if they can design and then make something that small. I thought I would use some high intensity Cree LED (just a single one) and throw in a resistor so that it acts as our 10W bulb. I also wanted it to look, at least a little bit like the fuel tank on Scrambler. Well, after several hours and re-designing we had the first prototype. So they made 4 testing pieces for me.

Well.. It did not fit at the back and edges were too sharp and it was too tiny and just did not look good. Another fail again..

I almost gave up, because this took nearly 4 months and some serious time (try to explain at home why you spend so much time discussing silly motorcycle accessories with dad all the time etc) and of course some money too..

Anyway, we sat again with the designers, spent another half day and made something that was a little bigger, edges were smoother and we could fit our own circle PCB with 4 orange LEDs. With a small resistor and diode incorporated. This time thanks to my uncle radio amateur, who fixes small electrical devices for living :) He helped to design the light.

Another 4 prototypes, made from aluminum. Better looking this time. I used shore 90A UV stable resin on LEDs and inside, PCB is aluminum, no problem with cooling. Dad tested them for 10 min. flashing in room temperature and it only raised from 23 to 24°C

So Yesterday we finally installed them on my bike. We used existing faston connectors inside OEM turn signals (1 small Phillips screw and it opens) and some heat shrink with glue inside to protect them.

In front original bolt was replaced with 12mm hex head (not allen) and with spring washer. At the back, I had to drill 10mm hole so that original black bolt with allen head could fit from the other side + spring washer. (when I took it apart, there was some dust and you could clearly see that water can get there easy) and then re-roted cables under rear fender and in between original black mudguard.

1 picture says more than thousand words, so here they are + video

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally no more plastic fenders :)

Flyscreen is also aluminum, slightly changed shape to correspond better with fenders and brought it closer to the instrument cluster. Brackets are from my dart screen. Also routed brakeline behind and under the speedo.

Oury grips (great improvement compared to 1/2 wafle oem grips)

Ebay short adjustable levers (they call it titanium color) to match the rest of the bike.

Multi footpegs (shifter had to be adjusted, brake is also a bit too low, but manageable)

Most of the pics are focused on the blinkers, which I plan to sell once I make some more :)

I will probably spray fenders and flyscreen with some transparent darkening vinyl dip to match the side panels. I still have the wrap I used on those, but doubt it would last long on fenders.. :(

Featuring friends ´ 2016 multi 1200S.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed from matt grey to dark brown with bronze (carDip spray vinyl paint)
and then to brown metallic. (Avery vinyl wrap)

Thinking of powdercoating gas cap, handlebar clamp, footpegs and levers matt black

Also added brass tank badges made by Tom Rolland

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Shocks
I was finally able to ride my bike today, even though it was only 5°C in the morning I went to the local track and took their all day course, learnt a lot and absolutely loved the shock and front cartridges. No more chicken strips on the new rear tire;)
Rear shock uses cca 80% of its travel as you can see on one of the pictures enclosed. Not sure about all the gunk there, maybe it is dust + oil from the chain and the golden shock attracts it or seal is not tight enough and it leaks? No idea there but I will send the pics to K-tech and ask them if it is supposed to be like that..

Main reason why it took so long to ride it was that I had a little project running :) Sorry about my English, usual coffee talk is fine, but more technical details, especially CNC machining can be hard for me to understand and not to write a poem about my journey into this completely new world to me ;)
I had a great help from my father, who is now retired and has some :D free time. He has technical kind of college and can imagine problems with my ideas a lot sooner than me :p

It all started with one member posting pictures of his scrambler with Watsen design led turn signals.
I really loved how small they are compared to those bulky blinkers on a meter long stalk that we have on Scramblers..
But their web site was closed for several months, claiming to finish June orders on Christmas.. I could not wait that long :)

At first, I thought I can buy some T10 high intensity automotive LED and cast it in UV stable resin and spray it black.. ha ha ha fail :)

So I wisted local company, guys that do a lot of custom 3D designs, prototyping and so on and asked them if they can design and then make something that small. I thought I would use some high intensity Cree LED (just a single one) and throw in a resistor so that it acts as our 10W bulb. I also wanted it to look, at least a little bit like the fuel tank on Scrambler. Well, after several hours and re-designing we had the first prototype. So they made 4 testing pieces for me.

Well.. It did not fit at the back and edges were too sharp and it was too tiny and just did not look good. Another fail again..

I almost gave up, because this took nearly 4 months and some serious time (try to explain at home why you spend so much time discussing silly motorcycle accessories with dad all the time etc) and of course some money too..

Anyway, we sat again with the designers, spent another half day and made something that was a little bigger, edges were smoother and we could fit our own circle PCB with 4 orange LEDs. With a small resistor and diode incorporated. This time thanks to my uncle radio amateur, who fixes small electrical devices for living :) He helped to design the light.

Another 4 prototypes, made from aluminum. Better looking this time. I used shore 90A UV stable resin on LEDs and inside, PCB is aluminum, no problem with cooling. Dad tested them for 10 min. flashing in room temperature and it only raised from 23 to 24°C

So Yesterday we finally installed them on my bike. We used existing faston connectors inside OEM turn signals (1 small Phillips screw and it opens) and some heat shrink with glue inside to protect them.

In front original bolt was replaced with 12mm hex head (not allen) and with spring washer. At the back, I had to drill 10mm hole so that original black bolt with allen head could fit from the other side + spring washer. (when I took it apart, there was some dust and you could clearly see that water can get there easy) and then re-roted cables under rear fender and in between original black mudguard.

1 picture says more than thousand words, so here they are + video
Which rear turn signal did you use?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts