Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To and from work every week day. I'm just getting used to the new camera and still trying out mounting positions. Any and all advice welcomed. It's a XVD Action camera (read GoPro clone at a third the price) but it works well enough and even has 4K capability.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think your helmet mount is the best option. Obviously you'll need a bit of practice aligning the camera before each ride but I'm sure you'll have that down in no time. While it is easier to tolerate a longitudinal or vertical axis that is a bit askew, pitch is especially important since no one wants to watch a video of the ground rolling by. Other than that the video quality looks good and the audio sounds good as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Holy smokes, I've just watched your video and resolved never to complain about traffic again. That's some controlled chaos! Good job though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your helmet mount is the best option. Obviously you'll need a bit of practice aligning the camera before each ride but I'm sure you'll have that down in no time. While it is easier to tolerate a longitudinal or vertical axis that is a bit askew, pitch is especially important since no one wants to watch a video of the ground rolling by. Other than that the video quality looks good and the audio sounds good as well.
Thanks ralph. It was mounted on the left side of the helmet about at the same height as my eyes. The problem with mounting a camera to my helmet is that it has no flat surfaces while the mounting brackets with the sticky tape on them are all flat. The only good flat surface I could find on the bike is the top of the brake fluid reservoir. This might be an option I'll be looking at but then the perspective will be only the road ahead.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The problem with mounting a camera to my helmet is that it has no flat surfaces while the mounting brackets with the sticky tape on them are all flat.

The only good flat surface I could find on the bike is the top of the brake fluid reservoir...but then the perspective will be only the road ahead.
That is definitely problematic. I think that your camera might be GoPro accessory compatible though. If so, I can send you my GoPro curved mount that I'll never use and save you a few bucks. Just PM your shipping address.

I tried mounting my GoPro on my handlebars a few weeks ago and as you alluded to, it just doesn't look right without having some part of the motorcycle in the frame.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can send you my GoPro curved mount that I'll never use and save you a few bucks. Just PM your shipping address.
Thank you for your kind offer. PM sent.

I found some good tips on YouTube for mounting a camera then I mounted it on the chin bar with a Velcro strap provided in the kit. It seems to work quite good and I'll try it out this afternoon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like you found a solution, but in case it's of interest I use a GoPro ball mount on the side of my helmet and find that it works very well. It'll work with either style of GoPro (or similar cameras that use the same attachment systems) but with the Hero style you'd also need a couple of extra elbow pieces.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks @DesmoDeanna. I'm waiting on a GoPro curved mount from Ralph to try out next. Side of the helmet seems to work pretty good and the good thing is that GoPro mounts works with this camera. I'm going on a long ride tomorrow and plan to do some recordings of the ride. I'll post it here by about next Thursday.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Now that is 100% better. And personally, I think it looks better to have the camera on the chin bar than having it sticking out from the side of the helmet. Time to move on to the audio critique.
:)
The audio sounds good but even at low speeds the mic is picking up wind noise. I have the hero 4 silver with an LCD back like I believe your camera has. Mine doesn't pick up wind noise at any speed however. What camera housing and backdoor are you using?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Now that is 100% better. And personally, I think it looks better to have the camera on the chin bar than having it sticking out from the side of the helmet. Time to move on to the audio critique.
:)
The audio sounds good but even at low speeds the mic is picking up wind noise. I have the hero 4 silver with an LCD back like I believe your camera has. Mine doesn't pick up wind noise at any speed however. What camera housing and backdoor are you using?
I only saw this post now and I welcome any critique. I use the waterproof housing that came with the camera as in the picture. There is also an extra protective backdoor but I never looked to see if there is a difference between them. On YouTube I saw that some guys drill out the side of the housing to attach an external mic but that would compromise the waterproofing. There is a clip to mount the camera without the waterproof housing but using that would only increase wind noise without an external mic wouldn't it? What do you suggest?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I only saw this post now and I welcome any critique. I use the waterproof housing that came with the camera as in the picture. There is also an extra protective backdoor but I never looked to see if there is a difference between them. On YouTube I saw that some guys drill out the side of the housing to attach an external mic but that would compromise the waterproofing. There is a clip to mount the camera without the waterproof housing but using that would only increase wind noise without an external mic wouldn't it? What do you suggest?
I 'm not sure what to say after I recently discovered that wind noise can vary not only between different housings that are the same brand and model but even vary day to day from the exact same housing. I can only think of two suggestions and only one is probably worth doing by us weekend vloggers.

1. The clasp on my housing recently broke off. So until I got a new one, I just scotch taped the housing together and made sure the tape covered the seams where the 'skeleton' backdoor and housing met. The tape not only securely held the camera together it seemed to also prevent any wind infiltration. It only took a couple of minutes to apply or remove and might be something worth trying.

2. The second option is a big step up in difficulty not to mention added cost. And that is to record audio separately using a self powered microphone and then sync up the video and audio when editing. But this requires the purchase of a suitable microphone, video/audio editing software and the knowledge/experience to use it.

I think I'd see how the scotch tape goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked - the extra back door is the same as the existing one. No skeleton back door. I did try the mounting clip without the housing and covered the mic holes with foam rubber and duct tape. This helped a little to reduce wind noise but not a lot. Then I tried the covered holes in the waterproof housing but got a lot of noise again. Next I will try a fur type material that some guy on YouTube had some success with. Maybe cut the extra back door into that skeleton shape and see what happens.

Yea, I'm just starting out in this direction with NO skills in video editing. I used Movie Maker with some degree of success. I'll try all the other options first before venturing into full-on audio/video editing. Thanks for the tips. Watch this space...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts