Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
50 mpg this last tank. Riding harder than a person normally should.

I'm using 91 octane non-ethanol fuel from the same Conoco gas station each time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
50 mpg this last tank. Riding harder than a person normally should.

I'm using 91 octane non-ethanol fuel from the same Conoco gas station each time.
Most fuel in AZ is oxygenated to varying degrees throughout the year. I generally fill up the Scrambler at a local Shell station and try to use the same pump at roughly the same time of day to keep things consistent. The biggest uncertainty I have is from the relatively low miles between fill ups which makes for significant variation in the calculation if I'm off by a fraction of a gallon one way or the other. Since the Scrambler doesn't have much tank I always fill up after each ride to make sure I have decent range at each outing. I'm starting to research a fuel canister solution to have as a back up...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just picked up my Urban on Friday and rode it 60 miles home on backroads. Was not easy on the throttle or shifting a lot to vary RPMs but trying hard not to go much over 6000. Took it out today for a loop that included some 65 on a secondary highway for about 10 miles then some twists followed by 6 miles of gravel road at between 25-35 in 2nd and 3rd gear. Got home at 97 miles and the light blinked on. I live in Oregon and the temp sensor seemed correct compared to the weather. Air temp today was mid 70s and elevation for todays ride was between 700-1500 feet. That would mean I too am only getting 38-40 mpg which will be a bit disappointing if it stays there. I have a Tiger 955i that gets 50mpg fully loaded for touring with highway and backroads combined.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just picked up my Urban on Friday and rode it 60 miles home on backroads. Was not easy on the throttle or shifting a lot to vary RPMs but trying hard not to go much over 6000. ..... That would mean I too am only getting 38-40 mpg which will be a bit disappointing if it stays there
I started with about 40 - 42 mpg before the first service (600 mile oil change). Just back from a 300 mile ride yesterday riding back roads, towns, and interstates: 51.5 mpg. I'm at about 1300 miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
light comes on at about 110 miles.
riding at 5000 rpm.

think the longest i did was about 150 miles with one tank.

atm @ ca. 1600 miles

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
1100 miles on the bike. Still getting only 37mpg in town. I took it for a long ride up into the canyons with some freeway mixed in there and got 46mpg on that tank, best I've gotten so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just did a 270km rode with my wife. I was on my 821 Hypermotard SP and she was on her Scrambler Full Throttle. The Scrambler hit the fuel light at 240km. We rode another 10km to the gas station. It took just under 11 litre to fill and was doing about 4.3l per 100km or 58mpg using those small American gallons (68mpg in British units). My Hypermotard was a little better on fuel but it has 17,000km on the clock vs the Scrambler with 1,200km. I reckon the Scrambler could get to 3.5l/100km in the same circumstances.
We rode gently but did do the speed limit (100kph) where possible and over took tens of kph higher to pass cars.
You might not get this kind of economy in a normal ride as we were really in cruise mosey. However, if it went onto reserve after using 10.5 litres, it still had 3l in the tank and used carefully, this will get you over 60km (35+ miles).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update: Now with almost 2000 miles on my UE and getting 47-50mpg consistently using 92 octane. Termi with race tune and being not always easy on the throttle. So, yes, the bikes mileage has gotten better after first service and break in. Now thinking of taking the rear sprocket down 2 teeth to make it a little more friendly on the highway and hopefully not detracting from its slow speed and dirt road riding ability too much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 40 year old son and I rode from MKE to PHX a few weeks ago. He rode my 15 R1200GSA and I rode my Classic with a 14 tooth sprocket. The bikes took the same amount of fuel at the fuel stops. It did seem funny to but 2-1/2 to 3.25 gals of gas in the gs at a time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've done a little over 1000 miles and have been averaging 45 mpg or so. I've had a couple fills in the 30's but not often. This is riding winding back roads as well as logging roads. Not doing more than 65 mph usually, and going 25 mph, or less sometimes, on the logging roads. With 94 octane? (i think), non-ethenol gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After seeing all the posts here and on Fuelly (my bike's Fuelly profile), I'm really starting to worry that something's wrong with my 2015 Icon. I've been getting 32-35 mpg (~14 kpl) using 93 octane fuel and mostly city riding in Houston. I've been tracking every refuel for all 650 miles since I bought it new. I don't ride too aggressively and I haven't noticed anything overtly wrong with power delivery. (However, I will say that the dealer's demo model seemed to have more power). I've been adding ~2.75 gallons each refuel, giving me ~93 miles until the fuel indicator light appears.

I'm going to take it in for the first service this week but I'm not confident that the technician will be too helpful. When I called him last week about the mileage issue, he said there's no easy way to troubleshoot the problem aside from checking for error codes on the bike's internal computer.

Assuming he doesn't find anything, does anybody have any troubleshooting tips? Could it be a bad O2 sensor, intake thermometer, miscalibrated tachometer, etc?

61 - 80 of 93 Posts