Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Max Speed?

76K views 109 replies 46 participants last post by  Alex Olesnicki 
#1 ·
So, i know the Scrambler is not a sports bike but im wondering what is the max speed? cant find any infos on this.

#5 ·
Only in Argentina and a few other countries can you do those speeds all day long... Here in Australia the max speed limit of 110km/h is well enforced...

On a side note, 180km/h must be all to do with ratios because my last Harley had less horsepower (65hp) and was almost double the weight (320kg) and the dash would show 200km/h at least - or so I heard ;-)

#20 ·
I just tried Gearing Commander myself, but assumed that the final gearing was 15/46, with all other data as for the 796. I used MPH, as that's what I'm familiar with, but the conversion is straightforward. I got 116.3 MPH at peak BHP (8250) and 129.7 MPH at redline (9200).

#7 ·
The Monster is 15/39, The scrambler 15/46.

From my test 140kmh is easily achieved, as easily as 180kmh on my 1100.

And thats very good to me because road limitation is 90 in france and if you go more thant 50 over you are in great troubles.

Downside, Higway is going to be a bit more boring.

#8 · (Edited)
Ahh, I hadn't seen the spec for the sprocket ratios. Thanks! For me and my personal taste, it's all about what happens with the engine at 55-65mph. If it's too buzzy, I may up the size of the front sprocket to lower RPMs. But that robs take-off of course.

I have no big plans to race or break speed records with the Scrambler. In fact, the way it's geared suggests it'll get up to speed pretty quickly which is more fun than top speed runs for me.

#11 ·
I did the maths, and i could be wrong, but if the top speed is 220@8250rpm on the 796 (i wish you quite much luck and a very long straight road), it's 187@8250rpm on the scrambler.

As the drive ratio is shorter, it will be easyer to get to the top speed, but if you get 190 displayed on the tachy, i will call it a day.

#17 ·
I think the reason they do not quote the topspeed is that for the clientel at which this bike is aimed are not really interested in how fast it can go, sure its nice to know but not really relevant.
The MG V7 can hit 160km/h and thats it and its still the best selling MG out there. Apart from the fact that most countries in Europe at least have speed limits on and off motorways that do not exceed 130km/h, Germany is the one exception here.

Not everyone will be doing Wheelies and scraping their "Tortoises" on the Asphalt in corners. :D

#33 · (Edited)
The only way a scrambler will hit 130 mph is if you drop it out of an airplane :D

Any motorcycle would need over 100 hp to hit that mark, especially the Scrambler, with its relatively high drag coefficient.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't hit 124 either.

#34 ·
I still cant understand the fascination of thrashing a small 800 naked bike like the Scrambler to see how fast it will go? If its about speed, you should have purchased a Yamaha R1 or Kawa H2. Better still, get in a sports car and sit at 150 mph all day, its a lot safer and a **** of a lot more comfortable.

Please bear in mind with your speed tests that at 120 mph you can basically deduct 10 mph or more or put a Navi on the bike to see the real speed. Personally I havent hit more than 140 km/h on the Scrambler as I find it tends to jump around at speeds faster and at the end of the day the top speed is so irrelevant.
It somehow reminds me of teenagers comparing dicks!!! mines bigger than yours etc. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.