Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
41 - 60 of 110 Posts
People can definitely hit faster speeds, but not on a flat road.
Believe it or not, going downhill (even a steep one) does not make an appreciable amount of difference. The real significant obstacle is overcoming drag.

Trusting that you did all of your maths correctly, that seems incredibly reasonable and plausible.
The math is correct, the only thing remotely debatable is the values if the variables chosen for calculation - but as you can see, those were skewed to be VERY optimistic.

As much as I like, no love, to go fast, I cannot fathom why you'd want to try to max out this bike. The fastest I've hit is probably 95 mph for about 2 seconds while passing several semis on the freeway, and I don't see myself being comfortable above that for any length of time. For one, I simply don't trust the suspension to be compliant with something unexpected at that speed, and the wind blast starts to become pretty extreme at those speeds as well. I've hit ~150mph twice in the past on a GSXR-750 that was more or less designed for that speed, but I can tell the Scrambler is not designed with top speed in mind. I personally would be surprised if the bike could hit much more than 110-115mph in the right environment, and I think that's beyond the threshold of safe for this bike.

What dictates the terminal (top) speed of any vehicle is the amount HP available to overcome drag and rolling resistance. This is simple physics, and the math to estimate this is not overly complicated, you just have to know the variables...Using these variables, as wildly optimistic as they are, and a standard rolling resistance of 2.27 - yield a potential top speed of 116.25 mph.

Math don't lie, people!
The math is correct...
Math? I don't see any math.

As much as I like, no love, to go fast, I cannot fathom why you'd want to try to max out this bike. The fastest I've hit is probably 95 mph for about 2 seconds while passing several semis on the freeway, and I don't see myself being comfortable above that for any length of time. For one, I simply don't trust the suspension to be compliant with something unexpected at that speed, and the wind blast starts to become pretty extreme at those speeds as well. I've hit ~150mph twice in the past on a GSXR-750 that was more or less designed for that speed, but I can tell the Scrambler is not designed with top speed in mind. I personally would be surprised if the bike could hit much more than 110-115mph in the right environment, and I think that's beyond the threshold of safe for this bike.
True dat. The few times I been cruising down highway 100, the bike is stable, but I also would not trust the suspension in the unexpected. Plus it is a lot of work, I wouldn't stay on that road for any real distance. The bike really prefers riding on routes 75 and 80.

The stock gearing and the max hp/rpm would limit the bike to around 115 mph +/- hypothetical drag, slope, and vodka, it's still physics. ;)

If you want a good relative idea of the capability of the bike, go play on Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

Any changes to the sprockets in my mind, wouldn't be for more top end. It would be to lower the rpms and stress on the bike at interstate cruising speeds.

Oh and yes, speedos are optimistic by design (typically both types), play with the roadside mph monitors sometime - just not the ones in the school zones.

The stock gearing and the max hp/rpm would limit the bike to around 115 mph

Gearing, stock or otherwise, has nothing to do with - the limit is strictly available HP with this bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gearing, stock or otherwise, has nothing to do with - the limit is strictly available HP with this bike.
Correct. You pass. A vehicle's top speed is limited by drag/friction/whatever and available HP (AND low gearing).

Perhaps you thought by changing the gearing, I was suggesting the top end speed would increase substantially to 130+ mph. Not true. I would only expect a 1-4 mph 'theoretical' increase. Def not a reason to justify $$$ upgrading the bike. Hence my statement: Any changes to the sprockets in my mind, wouldn't be for more top end. It would be to lower the rpms on the bike at interstate cruising speeds.

Math? I don't see any math.
Here's the math....

CD * A * (V3)
----------------

where:

CD = drag Coefficient (.7)
A = frontal area in sq. ft. (10)
V = Velocity (speed) in MPH (116.25)

This calculation gives the HP loss due to aerodynamic drag - which in this case equals 73.3 HP.

Here's the math....

CD * A * (V3)
----------------

where:

CD = drag Coefficient (.7)
A = frontal area in sq. ft. (10)
V = Velocity (speed) in MPH (116.25)

This calculation gives the HP loss due to aerodynamic drag - which in this case equals 73.3 HP.
Ha ha. Now your just making **** up. That's not even an equation, it's a fraction. Let's see the formula you used to get 116.25 mph.

Ha ha. Now your just making **** up. That's not even an equation, it's a fraction. Let's see the formula you used to get 116.25 mph.
I don't really understand which part of this equation you can't comprehend, and I have no intention of acting as a math instructor.

The simple truth is that particular equation is the "simplified" version - if you want to have a look at the "long" version - have a look here...

Part 6: Speed and Horsepower

This is pretty much the "bible" on the subject.

Reactions: Xtyling
I don't really understand which part of this equation you can't comprehend, and I have no intention of acting as a math instructor.

The simple truth is that particular equation is the "simplified" version - if you want to have a look at the "long" version - have a look here...

Part 6: Speed and Horsepower

This is pretty much the "bible" on the subject.
Uhhh, equations usually have something called an equal sign somewhere. It kind of makes it hard to perform algebra without one. I think I've seen enough here. SMH

41 - 60 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.