Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 110 Posts
I got to 105mph but shouldn't have as I'm running it in :roll eyes:, it has more to give but at that point you are hanging off the bars like a sail :eek:

It has LOADS of acceleration when needed, more than enough so who cares about top speed ;)

I had no trouble passing the 100 mark on test ride but thats not what the bikes about is it. Has plenty of go picking up speed and for overtakes and thats all I need

In my test ride today tyhe Scrambler Icon was doing 100kph at 4,000rpm.
I don't know if it would hit 200+ but it is certainly geared for it which helps with comfy cruising speeds. Maybe a set of lower bars and a fairing would help but that's not gonna happen; I have other bikes to ride if I need speed

this is for she who must be obeyed and she won't let me **** with it that much!

These are the numbers run for the Monster 796 which appears to have the same gearing as the Scrambler based on the specs I found.

Given your bike's ability to get up to 8250 RPM in 6th gear, it looks like you could get up to 220km/h (136mph) with the stock setup.

Before first service I maxed 124 mph. After the first service at 700 miles, coming back home I got it to 129 mph, head down. With a little tailwind or downhill, 130 may have been possible. No shakes and steady. What abike.

Before first service I maxed 124 mph. After the first service at 700 miles, coming back home I got it to 129 mph, head down. With a little tailwind or downhill, 130 may have been possible. No shakes and steady. What abike.
The only way a scrambler will hit 130 mph is if you drop it out of an airplane :D

Any motorcycle would need over 100 hp to hit that mark, especially the Scrambler, with its relatively high drag coefficient.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't hit 124 either.

I still cant understand the fascination of thrashing a small 800 naked bike like the Scrambler to see how fast it will go? If its about speed, you should have purchased a Yamaha R1 or Kawa H2. Better still, get in a sports car and sit at 150 mph all day, its a lot safer and a **** of a lot more comfortable.

Please bear in mind with your speed tests that at 120 mph you can basically deduct 10 mph or more or put a Navi on the bike to see the real speed. Personally I havent hit more than 140 km/h on the Scrambler as I find it tends to jump around at speeds faster and at the end of the day the top speed is so irrelevant.
It somehow reminds me of teenagers comparing dicks!!! mines bigger than yours etc. :)

Before everyone starts posting "unrealistic" top speeds for this bike, it should be noted that the speedo on the Scrambler (and almost every other bike) is INTENTIONALLY optimistic. There are regulations in the US and Europe that dictate that the displayed speed can NEVER be less than actual. In order to comply with this, and account for all the many variables that effect it, manufacturers program in an intentional "correction".

What dictates the terminal (top) speed of any vehicle is the amount HP available to overcome drag and rolling resistance. This is simple physics, and the math to estimate this is not overly complicated, you just have to know the variables.

The coefficient of drag for a typical motorcycle is about .9 - even for fully fared sportbikes this number is not less than .5 - lets be really optimistic and use .7

The frontal area of the scrambler - even when the rider is in full tuck position - measures around 12 sq ft - lets be really optimistic again and call it 10 sq ft

The weigh of the bike is known - lets call it 400 lbs - and lets assume a rider weight of 160 lbs (very optimistic, once again!), for a total of 560 lbs.

Peak rear wheel HP for a Scrambler - even one in spectacular state of tune - would be 75 max (and most will not be close to that, but hey - lets keep with the super-optimistic trend)

Using these variables, as wildly optimistic as they are, and a standard rolling resistance of 2.27 - yield a potential top speed of 116.25 mph.

Math don't lie, people!

Oh... and before I forget. The required HP to go even a bit faster rises exponentially.

Want to go just 10 mph faster than the calculated 116.25? It will take almost 97 HP to do so.

As you can see, that's completely unobtainable with this bike.

Based on the wildly optimistic variables calculated to come up with the 116.25 mph number - I would safely assume that absolute top speed for this bike would be somewhere south of 115 mph.

MotoChief's number (113 mph) seems reasonable...

Trusting that you did all of your maths correctly, that seems incredibly reasonable and plausible. People can definitely hit faster speeds, but not on a flat road.

I hit 115 mph indicated, which is about 109 mph actual, and I was still accelerating, but I was going down a pretty nice hill (passing a few cars).

21 - 40 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.