Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Luggage Trip tips

19K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  PeteI 
Being two up isn't leaving much room on the bike, which obviously means your luggage can't sit on the seat.

So, first up, whichever route you go, you'll need to plan and pack carefully, as I can't think you'll have much excess. Nobody is making any heavy duty luggage frames yet for the bike, so hard luggage is probably out, and anyway soft luggage is lighter and more flexible.

Secondly, the high pipe is another reason to think hard luggage is out, as any manufacturers coming to the market will probably make their frames to fit the standard low pipes. The high pipe also means that you're going to need some sort of support frame for any throw over saddle bags / panniers so that they don't sit on the pipe and burn through, but even without the high pipe a support frame will help.

A rear rack will add capacity, give your pillion somewhere to hold on, and a rear bag / top case somewhere to lean on.

The next problem is - fitting support frames for the saddle bags and a rear rack will require some thought, and a custom build ideally. There isn't enough space to mount both on the rear subframe mount points, but a good fabricator could make a neat rack with integrated saddle bag supports that would work I'm sure.

In terms of luggage capacity, with a decent rack and supports, you'd be looking at 25-30 litres per side for saddle bags, up to around 35 litres for a tail bag, and around 13 litres for a tank bag, so just over 100 litres in total, which would just about do the job.

But, your first port of call is a good fabricator to do the pipe work for the racks / saddle bag supports. On the rack, a larger / wider load platform will keep the rear bag / top case more stable. You don't want any overhang at the rear otherwise you'll obscure the tail light.

Backpacks for 10-15 days are literally a pain. Kriega are the best, but still not the ideal solution. I can't see this scenario working well with the aftermarket or oe hard parts currently available.

What do you think in terms of Weight? on the rear suspension? The passenger weighs aprox. 55kg.... plus all those bags...
The suspension on the Scrambler isn't the best, and packing light / usuing soft luggage will all help to keep the weight down. Most seem to be running the lower preload settings for standard riding, so there should be scope for jacking up the preload to help cope with the extra weight.

From your first post, you already appreciate the Scrambler isn't the ideal bike for two up travel, but I think it's perfectly do-able. Maybe not as quickly, not as easily or as comfortably as on a R1200GS, but ridden accordingly I cant see why the Scrambler isn't up to the job. People have been further, for longer on much less.

Yes, I imagine it would, but I´ve seen in the dart screen post that generates more turbulence on the helmet area.
I can't say that I notice any significant increase in turbulence or helmet noise with the Dart screen, but I definitely notice the reduced wind blast and the higher relaxed cruising speed. :) Very worthwhile addition I'd say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.