Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It became clear after just a few minutes of my first test ride that these bikes need to be ridden
It's best to be accelerating or decelerating and that way you won't find any lumpy bits! I imagine that smooth only comes with a four cylinder engine but I can't advise as I've only ridden them when when my own bikes are being serviced.
It's called character, enjoy :)
P
The bike does need riding. That's the fun - especially in the City.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's a Ducati engine guys.

3000rpm is the bottom (2500 on low gears)
And seriously, under 2000rpm there is nothing else than hurting the engine.

From my past on a Monster 1100 if find the Scrambler sooo smooth on the low end :)

(once the engine warm and the first service done you'll never find me under 4000rpm)
I agree with Personne, I had a 848 that bucked like that below 4-4500 rpm's. The scrambler may go a little lower as it's only 2 valve.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Cancel that last bit. I just checked the Fat Duc compatibility list. They are not compatible with the Monster 796, nor any of the models that use the Seimens ECU, so won't work for the Scrambler :(
my tech guy says that based on air cooled monsters...its nothing a flash-remap with an exhaust wont cure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do almost 2 hours per day in traffic so I've probably adapted faster than some. I'd say the scrambler is my perfect commuter because I wouldn't ride a bike that didn't have some style and character.
I really love the way this bike can change speed (both up and down) and direction so effortlessly and still feel under control. Another great thing is the upright position makes it easier for me to turn my body to look behind. My last bike (Guzzi Griso) had me leaning more forward which made it harder to turn from the waist.
I was thinking about this thread in the slower bits of my ride today. There is definitely a speed where first is too low and second too high and I find myself shifting a lot but it's worth it

·
Registered
889 Posts
I do almost 2 hours per day in traffic so I've probably adapted faster than some. I'd say the scrambler is my perfect commuter because I wouldn't ride a bike that didn't have some style and character.
I really love the way this bike can change speed (both up and down) and direction so effortlessly and still feel under control. Another great thing is the upright position makes it easier for me to turn my body to look behind. My last bike (Guzzi Griso) had me leaning more forward which made it harder to turn from the waist.
I was thinking about this thread in the slower bits of my ride today. There is definitely a speed where first is too low and second too high and I find myself shifting a lot but it's worth it
Do you find the Scrambler to be good enough that you'd consider riding it for extended periods of time that are longer than your commutes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi dukes,
Yes definitely but it's no tourer ( do I get a prize for stating the obvious?)
I think the longest time I've ridden it for is two hours. The seat might become annoying in a long ride as I find it hard but the bike would keep me happy all day
Pete

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hi dukes,
Yes definitely but it's no tourer ( do I get a prize for stating the obvious?)
I think the longest time I've ridden it for is two hours. The seat might become annoying in a long ride as I find it hard but the bike would keep me happy all day
Pete
If you have the means....Corbin has great seats. Accept no substitute;)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hey Pete
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out :nerd:
Pete
Hi Pete,
Cool, you will not be disappointed. you may have to wait until the bikes been out in the USA for a couple of months. They do molds of the seat pans to get them right! They are awesome at what they do!
Have a good one Pete!
Pete0:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, the EFI mapping is a bit agricultural. The trot,e is quite binary and at low revs it gets clunky, which means a lot of clutch work in slow moving traffic

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've noticed the same issue as the OP, but the bike gets much more civilized in 3rd and above. In 1st and 2nd the fuling just seems a bit uneven. Still, I really like the character of this engine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Removing my Cat and installing a custom slip on exhaust solved my twitchy throttle. Smooth as butter and sounds great now. Trade off is torque seems less and RPM climbs so fast without notice. I haven't changed the map or tested top speed or put on dyno for true objective results. Nevertheless, I still highly recommend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man, I guess I am just used to my Monster. The stock Scrambler is baby smooth compared to my Monster 1100 EVO. I actually think it's the best stock fueling on any Duc I've ridden... lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
have you sorted this ??

I'm having exactly the same problem, I've done about 350 miles so far. It's worse when cold but doesn't get a huge lot better when warmed up. I can't get the revs up too high down my lane which is a narrow single track farm lane with loads of blind bends, but it makes no difference if I keep it in 1st or 2nd it lurches and jumps to the end of the lane no matter what I do! Even when out on the open road I cannot find any place where it is totally smooth except for the dual carriageways.

I'm hoping there will be something that can fix or improve this down the line :| as I love the bike otherwise

21 - 37 of 37 Posts