Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
2016 DUCATI SCRAMBLER ICON
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to have my dealer wrap header area/pipes on the R side of my 2016 Duc scrambler icon w DEI/"design engineering 010127 titanium 2" W exhaust heat wrap w LR technology", using the '1/4" overlap rule',,,,,,, I heard the 'Desert Sled model' has issues w it's seat getting hot? Are there any pipes or anything under my ICON's seat that need to be wrapped/addressed? Just bought bike,,,,,,only test rode 1 mile in 30 degree Chicago winter weather,,,,,bike is still in controlled climate winter storage at dealer,,,,,,many on this forum and amazon reviewer who used the DEI wrap say it help a lot,,,,,DEI claims once wrapped properly, the excessive pipe heat will be reduced by 30-50%,,,,,,,,,,the DEI tech guy told me two things:
1/DO NOT DOUBLE LAYER THE WRAP, JUST USE THE 1/4 TH " OVERLAP RULE
2/With applying the titanium wrap, DO NOT soak it in water beforehand and, DO NOT apply the DEI silicone spray coating or any high heat blk paint onto the titanium wrap after wrapping the pipes

Have attached a few photos of:
-My icon w a Corsa moto British Customs diamond stitch seat w an 'old school' look I just added @ $389 cost to replace my stock seat www.britishcustoms.com
-a photo of someone else's duc scrambler icon after the R side heaher/pipes were wrapped/brand /substrate of wrapping unknown

In SUM: For my 2016 Ducati Scrambler ICON model, do I need to alert my dealer doing the exhaust pipe wrapping, that anything needs to be done UNDER MY SEAT to address any excessive heat that would cause my seat to get hot from the engine/exhaust system on my icon? Yes or no?

:cool:

Spring is almost here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
-(y)

Attachments

17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No pipes under the seat, you can see the pipes routed on the right side of the bike. People say the seat gets warm from the engine, but that can be said about any air cooled engine. I live in Tennessee and ride in 90+ degree days and its no problem unless you are in traffic or at a light for a while. You can lift up the seat and see there's only the battery, some electronics and storage for the toolkit down there. No need to do anything under there for the heat!
Thanks for the reply,,,,,,you are totally correct,,,,,,,just talked w my dealer's mechanic that's gonna wrap my exhaust pipes and he said what you said; "nothing to wrap under my icon seat",,,,,,,,that said, someone on this forum said he knew a guy who stuck 'thermo-tech' 13575 aluminum heat resistant adhesive backed wide tape sheeting under his seat in an attempt to reduce his seat from getting too hot. The post also said he did not hear from this guy as to the results,,,,,,I reside in chicago,,,,our summers get to the 90 degree point as well,,,,,,Just bought this bike so after I test it after the wrap, I'll know if I want to do anything more,,,,,,thanks again,,,,,,,

17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ducati heat issue is not uncommon. This Moose brand adhesive backed heat shield is very popular for all kinds of heat-control applications and Accel Exhaust wrap works great and looks cool
Moose Racing Heat Shield 18in. x 18in. Sheet M30051 | eBay
ACCEL Exhaust Wrap 2002TA | eBay

Save yourself the money and install yourself. It's easy to do. Both can be had for around $80 on craigslist
Those r good finds,,,,,,,thanks,,,,,,,,however already purchased a roll of the 'DEI 2" wide titanium heat wrap' to wrap my pipes with,,,,,,as far as the adhesive backed heat shield sheeting, I might purchase 'thermo-tech 13575 adhevive backed 12in x 24in sheeting' on amazon.com but would apply it to underside of my seat only if i noticed that my seat was getting too hot,,,,,test ride in the very hot weather will determine if i even ever need to do that to my seat,,,,,,,,Other than keeping the duc moving, the only other mod i know of, again, only if needed, beyond wrapping the exhaust pipes is to replace the stock screw on heat shield w a fancy replacement 'exact fit' one,,,,,,,,after a google search, you can find them all over the net; their big selling point is supposedly they have a layer of titanium or carbon fiber that will reduce heat from the R side pipes better than the duc stock one,,,,,,,,

Ducti scrambler icon guy/Chicago

:cool:

🔧 🇺🇲

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.