Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Highway Riding

23K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  motojedeye 
#1 ·
I would like to hear about people's experience riding on the highway. I went for a ride long ride 150miles roundtrip-90% of it on the highway. I didn't get much buffeting, the ride was stable. What I didn't like was the high rev'ing engine. IMHO the bike runs about 2000 RPM higher that what I would like at 75MPH.

What are your thoughts?

#4 ·
Still breaking in the engine, so I will wait until I can use the higher rpms to decide. I might like where the bike is sitting in its power range when I need excuse myself from some local drivers.

But for cruising along, yes I agree. At least 1000 rpms lower would be nice. Don't think I want the trade-off on the back roads.

#7 ·
I have often looked for seventh gear as well. It also seems like 4th is very narrow.

Wind can really be felt upwards of 70mph in my experience. Getting up in the 90-100mph range is like hanging on during a hurricane and you really need to lean in to stay stable.

Vibration is not an issue for me.

RPM's are at 5900-ish when going 80mph in 6th gear.

#12 ·
I have often looked for seventh gear as well . It also seems like 4th is very narrow.

Wind can really be felt upwards of 70mph in my experience. Getting up in the 90-100mph range is like hanging on during a hurricane and you really need to lean in to stay stable.

Vibration is not an issue for me.

RPM's are at 5900-ish when going 80mph in 6th gear.

I'm also running 5900'ish maybe closer to 6000 @80MPH. Which translate to some real vibing times on the highway.

#14 ·
I feel pretty beaten after a couple hours of interstate on this bike. This bike needs a screen for extended highway riding. More on that when I decide on and install one. I am also thinking about re-gearing for longer legs. IMO, this bike has plenty of acceleration and gear overlap as it is.

#16 ·
So after the 300 miler a couple of weekends past, I will admit you can feel beaten up by the highway speeds. However, with a few modifications, I can see me riding this bike for 400 to 500 miles a day, no problem.

If I need a break, I'll just take the scenic route. Plus I have never been spoiled with a real sport-tourer.

I only mention this because I plan to take my first week plus trip with this (any) bike later this year. Up the New England Coast and around Nova Scotia. All my extended trips to this point, have been long weekend adventures: upto 600 miles on a day with a M796. More appropriate gearing, even if I did peel myself off the bike when I got home.

I will post a separate thread as I get closer to real planning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.