Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me measure the length of the tank badge on the Scrambler Classic? The one that is styled after the vintage Ducati wings. Also, is it flat or slightly convex?

I'm trying to 3D print a set of tank badges that looks like the ones of the vintage scramblers. Being a 3d modeller has its perks :D

modeling WIP

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh nice. It looks slightly convex. As for size... why not make is the size you want?
That's also true :D
I do like the size on the scrambler classic though so an approximation measurement would help. Also if it is convex, certainly seems like it in pics, then size determines how convex it is for a better fit I suppose. I could eyeball it but if someone could provide some info, will certain take some time off figuring out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got a set - let me see...

They are slightly convex to match the tank curve
5 7/8" long
1 15/16" tall at the widest point

I'm not sure the best way to describe the curve of it, but I can take some photos if you'd like. They aren't on the bike yet.

of course, this means I get one of your finished sets, right? :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a set - let me see...

They are slightly convex to match the tank curve
5 7/8" long
1 15/16" tall at the widest point

I'm not sure the best way to describe the curve of it, but I can take some photos if you'd like. They aren't on the bike yet.

of course, this means I get one of your finished sets, right? :)
You are amazing!
And yes, if it's not too much trouble, if you could take a pic of it on a flat surface so I can compare the curve with the flat surface that would be awesomme.

Regarding the finished set, I was thinking if people are interested, I can offer it up for sale on Shapeway which would be the money it cost for them to print it. I won't put a markup. That way, people can get it printed in the materials they like. $5/cm3 in steel. I will have to see how much it end up being.
Stainless Steel 3D Printing Material Information - Shapeways

·
Registered
889 Posts
That looks awesome, well executed since from what I can make of it all the necessary detail it should have to suit the look is what it has going on... at least in the picture you showed.

Can't wait to see the prototype.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey while you are prototyping, try to think of a way to incorporate a functional screw hole so they can be removed easily.
I thought about making a screw hole that goes through the panel, unfortunately that's just 1 hole so the angle will shift as you ride. So the options now is either adhesive or we make 2 holes like the vintage ones and drill the side panels to accept the screws. Not sure which method to go with yet.

Going to send Shapeway to prototype a plastic version first later today.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought about making a screw hole that goes through the panel, unfortunately that's just 1 hole so the angle will shift as you ride. So the options now is either adhesive or we make 2 holes like the vintage ones and drill the side panels to accept the screws. Not sure which method to go with yet.

Going to send Shapeway to prototype a plastic version first later today.
my 2 cents... go without the screw holes and make it fit the modern bike with little modification. I think the screw holes take away from its appearance....i think the Italians would have used double sided tape back in the day if it was available to them.

Awesome idea....count me in when you have the finished product!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright so I sent 1 badge for prototyping in plastic. It takes about a couple of weeks.

So far, Shapeway's prices for these are $15/ea (as in 1 side) in strong flexible plastic. Or $55/ea in stainless steel or bronze steel. Ouch.

I also rendered it.. just because... :D

Now to model the other side.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alright so I sent 1 badge for prototyping in plastic. It takes about a couple of weeks.

So far, Shapeway's prices for these are $15/ea (as in 1 side) in strong flexible plastic. Or $55/ea in stainless steel or bronze steel. Ouch.

I also rendered it.. just because...

Now to model the other side.
You know what the originals were made of? Wondering if that was a nickel plateing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts