Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Riding motorcycles is about freedom and individuality. It's about making choices and knowing your limit. Knowing there's a potential risk every time I get on "Rambly", I adhere to the practice of riding ATGATT. If (and when) I go down, I hope to live another day and get back on my bike as soon as I can.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi guys,

It's a stupid question if I wonder about hand protection of biker's glove. I am no doubt about it.

But my experience is very different. Wearing a Ducati glove, I feel very hard to control throtle, clutch... The sensitivity of hands reduced significantly. And sometimes, I feel lost control, especially at high speed.

If a glove can protect your hands only, but let you lost sensitivity controlling a bike, is it ultimate safe? Any statistics prove it?

Thank you,

PhuongLe, YES, definitley wear gloves. :)

I'll bet that your perception on loss of sensitivity and control is due to you not being used to wearing gloves on motorcycles. In reality, you will actually GAIN sensitiviy, and in return, better control of your BRAKES, throttle, clutch, and handlebar movement (counter-steering, of course...). Why? Because your extremities will fare much better against high-frequency vibrations at all motorcycle control points. And don't forget hand fatigue due to grasping, pulling, heat, sun... etc. And of course hand sweat!! Sweaty hands make all controls slippery and and difficult to handle at emergency panic situations. A nice fitting gloves will help tremendously on all of those. Obviously a nicely protected leather gloves will only hinder if you're doing other delicate types of work, so it's understandable of your perception... :D

Here's what I suggest: Instead of using your current Duc gloves, go out and find a cheap (like couple of bucks) car type driving gloves (you know, like those cheesy ones with holes on the knuckles... heh). If you can't find those, I'm sure you could find like typical men's fashion leather gloves. The key thing is the sizing. Dbl check that the gloves you get (and for any future motorcycle gloves) is tight enough, but won't make your hands lose circulation. If you can't even find those, go out and find a really cheap full-fingered bicycle gloves, and use those until you feel really comfy operating your Duc. Just don't use any gloves that is "slippery" feeling at the controls... Just use these cheap gloves for several weeks, and i will guarntee that you won't be able to ride a motorcycle WITHOUT gloves in the future. Now after all that, we can try your Duc gloves (because you were breaking them in your bed... heh heh), and I will bet again, that most of the feel will be there and you will agree that it has more control.

Go oot and try now! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
PhuongLe, YES, definitley wear gloves. :)

I'll bet that your perception on loss of sensitivity and control is due to you not being used to wearing gloves on motorcycles. In reality, you will actually GAIN sensitiviy, and in return, better control of your BRAKES, throttle, clutch, and handlebar movement (counter-steering, of course...). Why? Because your extremities will fare much better against high-frequency vibrations at all motorcycle control points. And don't forget hand fatigue due to grasping, pulling, heat, sun... etc. And of course hand sweat!! Sweaty hands make all controls slippery and and difficult to handle at emergency panic situations. A nice fitting gloves will help tremendously on all of those. Obviously a nicely protected leather gloves will only hinder if you're doing other delicate types of work, so it's understandable of your perception... :D

Here's what I suggest: Instead of using your current Duc gloves, go out and find a cheap (like couple of bucks) car type driving gloves (you know, like those cheesy ones with holes on the knuckles... heh). If you can't find those, I'm sure you could find like typical men's fashion leather gloves. The key thing is the sizing. Dbl check that the gloves you get (and for any future motorcycle gloves) is tight enough, but won't make your hands lose circulation. If you can't even find those, go out and find a really cheap full-fingered bicycle gloves, and use those until you feel really comfy operating your Duc. Just don't use any gloves that is "slippery" feeling at the controls... Just use these cheap gloves for several weeks, and i will guarntee that you won't be able to ride a motorcycle WITHOUT gloves in the future. Now after all that, we can try your Duc gloves (because you were breaking them in your bed... heh heh), and I will bet again, that most of the feel will be there and you will agree that it has more control.

Go oot and try now! :D
I am in debt the most practical advise! Will apply it in my ride today.

Thank you, merci, gracia! :D

41 - 43 of 43 Posts