Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for anyone using one of these satnavs. Can the underseat usb power the satnav while charging or does it only charge? This is with using a normal usb cable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have the Zumo 590 (BMW branded), it usually switch on when usb cable is plugged-in, so it can work (in car for example) and if is not charging, at least it doesn't run out.

now, if well understood, your gps device do not work once plugged but only recharge. if correct, the underseat usb port, works as a normal usb pc or battery charger one (iphone for example). output is 5V

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quick question for anyone using one of these satnavs. Can the underseat usb power the satnav while charging or does it only charge? This is with using a normal usb cable.
There are two issues with this. Firstly, the USB cable is primarily a data cable and not a charging cable, so powering the sat nav via the USB would be hit and miss at best. Secondly, when the 340/350/390 is sat in the Garmin cradle, the mini USB charging port at the rear of the unit is obscured and the so the UB cable cannot be installed anyway.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Still do not want to hard wire the cradle as I dont like how it looks in pics I have seen. The unit has a long battery life so should be fine and can always charge underseat, always have friends I ride with that have GPS too.... no need for constant use so will see how I get on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.