Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIdmkETuWeM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Also, gas won't ignite until you get it pretty hot or you have an open flame. If I died every time I've had fuel pee all over a car or motorcycle engine, I'd have been dead fifty times over by now. I get that it's a crazy problem that shouldn't happen, but if it does happen to me, I'l be fixing it myself with better quality parts than OEM if I can.
You'd think if this happened on their FIRST US PRESS RIDE, they'd have done it if it was worth it to them.

Another rider faced a fuel hose that came loose on the freeway, not long after we left our launch point; and not atypical of a Ducati launch, reports of mis-shifts (between 5th and 6th for me) abounded in the group.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/reviews/ducati-scrambler-icon-review/

·
Registered
379 Posts
U.S. Riders:

If you experienced this issue, please file a safety complaint with the U.S. Dept of Transportation so that they can look into if a recall is required. The Dept will only accept complaints from those who have actually experienced the problem.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

And please also call Ducati directly and voice your concern personally. The greater the calls, the more focus will be on the issue to hopefully identify and fix the root cause. Ducati will log your call and concerns, whether or not you personally experienced the issue. Ducati North America Customer Service: 408-253-0499. Ducati personnel takes calls during U.S. Pacific Coast business hours M-F.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIdmkETuWeM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Also, gas won't ignite until you get it pretty hot or you have an open flame. If I died every time I've had fuel pee all over a car or motorcycle engine, I'd have been dead fifty times over by now. I get that it's a crazy problem that shouldn't happen, but if it does happen to me, I'l be fixing it myself with better quality parts than OEM if I can.
I've had gas (petrol) ignite on a hot engine.... no sparks present.

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
I'd just tell them that you personally don't want to deal with any risk if it leaks fuel again, but that it's probably not a huge danger.

Someone last week posted a photo of their car burning to the ground on a hotrod group I'm a member of. The cause? The rear drum brake was dragging and overheated. So... anything is possible :)

I'm just of the mindset that it's not likely to burst into flames. Also, it's a motorcycle, so if it does burst into flames, jump off of it :) They're not safe even on an uneventful day since they're motorcycles haha.

For me, personally, the fuel line thing isn't a deal breaker. It's really disappointing, but I like the bike. Last year at this time I came into work one day with one of my boots full of gasoline because the left carburetor on my BMW started overflowing fuel right into my boot. I spent the whole day at work walking around in a squishy boot that smelled like gasoline.

I guess since I've owned so many crappy old bikes and cars I'm just use to it. I have one of the banned Holley glass bowl carbs on my truck. Supposedly they were a fire risk in a collision, but I just try not to collide with stuff.

So getting back to my point, I don't think anyone like myself would complain about knowing you were selling me the bike because it leaked fuel like that. So I don't see any reason to be dishonest unless you're trying to sell it to an excited 18 year old.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you look at the picture you'll see that the there is a hose attached to a right angle flange that passes into the main body of the tank fp adaptor and then presumably attaches to the FP itself. I believe this is where the failure is - the mechanic said that they weren't able to get this right angle flange to connect securely to the outlet of the FP. Looking at the pics in the SM I can't be certain but I think the right angle flange is secured by a locking fitting on the other picture below and I assume this is via rotation? Either way Ducati state that they want to replace the FP assembly which think is the entire assembly held in the hand of the guy below - perhaps these locking connections are fragile or prone to damage?
how did you remove the fuel pump? mine doesn't want to go out

61 - 67 of 67 Posts