Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I can understand you being angry and reluctant to do further business with Ducati in general and your dealership in particular.

While waiting for my scrambler to arrive I came within an inch of getting into a fist fight with one of the dealer's salesman. I was so mad I cancelled my five month old order, demanded my money back and found another dealership to buy my scrambler. I got my scrambler at the second dealership but I am back at the first one because they are so close and they have done a lot of work on my scrambler for me. And lo and behold I get along great with everybody......including the aforementioned salesman. I guess my point is, try to make your decision as objectively as possible while giving your anger no sway.

Personally, the scrambler ticks all the right boxes for me. Riding it gives me an unbelievable amount of fun......and I don't think any other bike would come close. While it's possible I may buy another bike someday, I will never sell this scrambler. And I would be willing to go through much unpleasantness to keep it.

Good luck, whichever road you take.
Thanks Ralph. The person I deal with at Ducati is a little asian lass so I'll not be punching her out...makes it worse though because the only way I can get some movement is to basically emotionally blackmail her. I feel like I'm dealing with one my kids or an ex wife.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now my fuel pissing out

Had the bike in the shop last week and they said my fuel pump was "functioning, but failing." They said they replaced it, and I picked it up 4 days later (August 29). I was out riding today, and all of a sudden the bike stalled, and wouldn't start. Then I start smelling gas. I look down and gas is literally pouring from my tank. Tha *uck? I called Ducati roadside assistance. It took an hour and a half to get the bike towed 5 miles, because they wouldn't pay to take to the nearest dealer 70 miles away. Beyond pissed. Don't let the smile in the photo fool you.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Had the bike in the shop last week and they said my fuel pump was "functioning, but failing." They said they replaced it, and I picked it up 4 days later (August 29). I was out riding today, and all of a sudden the bike stalled, and wouldn't start. Then I start smelling gas. I look down and gas is literally pouring from my tank. Tha *uck? I called Ducati roadside assistance. It took an hour and a half to get the bike towed 5 miles, because they wouldn't pay to take to the nearest dealer 70 miles away. Beyond pissed. Don't let the smile in the photo fool you.
So now we've had at least three members who have had gas come pouring out of their tank now. It's no longer an anomaly but a recurring problem. Ducati better fix this and reassure their customers.

They are refueling the bike here and they spill some gas but still, this is what can happen if gas hits a hot pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
So now we've had at least three members who have had gas come pouring out of their tank now. It's no longer an anomaly but a recurring problem. Ducati better fix this and reassure their customers.

They are refueling the bike here and they spill some gas but still, this is what can happen if gas hits a hot pipe.

While working on the bike I took at peek too. They're crimped hose clamps. I have no idea why they didn't use quick disconnects...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hate to hear about this JT, thanks for posting up to let us know. I wonder if the ones giving trouble are failing or rather were improperly connected during assembly. Seems I remember early on an owner posting that his mechanic said they were a bear to connect.

Sarah

·
Registered
399 Posts
They are - you've missed the pics I posted above... it's a right angled plastic QC that fails - the hose is clamped onto that and is the plastic QC (on the pump side) that fails.
That's so goofy looking and so atypical. Just saw photos of the hose on the elbow and the design of the QC. I wonder if the Super Mario Brothers were filling in for Ducati's engineer that day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow

I was one of the first person to post about the fuel pump failing.

It took 4 weeks to get my Icon fixed.... in the end Ducati Italy sent me a Scrambler watch to "compensate" the trouble...

Well at least they tried to be nice to early adopters ...
That's crazy. All good now, I hope? Service called and said the adaptor come out. They are certain they have it back together correctly. They want to keep it and ride it a bit more to make sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, my full throttle has just done the same. Was out for a ride, bike started to miss fire and then stopped, fuel pouring out of left side of bike onto a very hot cylinder head and spark plug. I'm surprised it did not burst into flames. Dealer came out and picked up bike, when we got back they took tank off and yes left hand side fuel pump connector faulty.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi, my full throttle has just done the same. Was out for a ride, bike started to miss fire and then stopped, fuel pouring out of left side of bike onto a very hot cylinder head and spark plug. I'm surprised it did not burst into flames. Dealer came out and picked up bike, when we got back they took tank off and yes left hand side fuel pump connector faulty.
Sorry to hear this Pete, and very glad you are ok.

This is happening too often to be random occurrences, and could very easily result in a tradegy for any one of us. Even when it is "fixed", how does one have confidence it won't happen again???

This is obviously a severe safety hazard either due to a manufacturing defect or improper assembly.

Any suggestions by Scrambler Forum members how we can get Ducati/Audi/VW attention on this matter to properly address this problem?

·
Scrambler DIY Guru
979 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIdmkETuWeM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Also, gas won't ignite until you get it pretty hot or you have an open flame. If I died every time I've had fuel pee all over a car or motorcycle engine, I'd have been dead fifty times over by now. I get that it's a crazy problem that shouldn't happen, but if it does happen to me, I'l be fixing it myself with better quality parts than OEM if I can.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts