Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still fairly new to Thailand and discovered yesterday that I have been filling my Scrambler with Gasahol 95 (Orange Label). Yesterday I found a station that had Benzine 95 and I filled up. Holy %$# what a difference! Low RPM surging is almost non existent and the engine runs cooler and smoother. I will use nothing else from now on.
I should have done some research on the fuels sold here before blindly filling up... and maybe this a "DUHH" post for most of you, but maybe it will help somebody.
Cheers,
gmac

· Registered
212 Posts
Ducati Thailand recommends V-Power from Shell which is Gasohol 95 with Nitrogen added. I had plenty of low RPM surging so next fuel up I'm going to look for 95 Benzine. Shell doesn't have that so I'm gonna check Caltex and PTT.

What fuel station brand did you get your Benzine from?

· Registered
212 Posts
I was told to stay away from fuel with high Ethanol levels so go with Shell 91 octane but if you get in a pinch and cant find a Shell I was told its better to go with a regular fuel than a high octane fuel with high Ethanol levels
High octane rating doesn't mean high ethanol level. In fact both gasohol 91 and gasohol 95 have the same 10% ethanol. It's just mixed with 91 gasoline vs 95 gasoline. Higher octane means higher compression before ignition.

Yes you should stay away from fuel with high ethanol levels (user manual says max 10%) but at the same time the MINIMUM octane to be used is 95. So if you put in gasohol 91, you are possibly damaging the engine because of premature ignition of the fuel!

To summarize: gasohol 95 or benzine 95 are both ok. The rest is not.

· Registered
107 Posts
If a any
one else finds Benzine 95... let me know what they think...
Hi gmac

Im in Pattaya mate and I only put benzine (Gasoline) in my bike. There is 2 garages that sell it but not everyone of them has it. They are PTT and Caltex. ( You may find other smaller garages selling it too)

The Benzine is only 95 as they did away with the 91 red many years ago.

The Benzine 95 is the Yellow label on the big board and also on the pumps and always cost you a bit more (basically its the most expensive fuel you can buy from any garage) so if you see the yellow label and you see the price around 5-6 baht more than all the other fuel its defo Benzine.

It will also benefit you if you can learn the Thai writing for Benzine and then you will know for sure.

You can go past numerous PTT and Caltex garages and not see it but then the next one will have it.

The only problem I will have is if I head out on a long trip I may have to put Gasohol in my bike at some point but im not worried as I know I will use it up and never have it sitting in the bike for any extended amount of time ( leaving the bike for weeks or more) as this is where the problem lies with Gasohol (seperation and condensation)

Gasohol is ok as a "go to" fuel if you cant get normal Gasoline but there is also performance dips as people have stated so its i'll only use it if I cant get Gasoline.

I've dug up some pics from the net with the difference between the 2 at the pumps so you might want to take a note of it, They are old pics and still have the red 91 benzine but as you can see they have the yellow one which is sold nowadays.

I will get out and take a updated pic at both PTT and Caltex and post it for us Thai Boys that are still unsure.

Hope this helps

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
So if the minimum octane to use is 95, how come my owner's manual says (page 145): "Use fuel with the lowest octane rating 90 (RON +MON)/2"

Which I read as saying don't use anything over 90??
Different countries use different octane ratings. Look up octane on wikipedia. US uses (RON+MON)/2 while a lot of other places including most of Europe use just RON. RON averages 5+ more points than MON. Not sure what's used in SE Asia.

· Registered
212 Posts
Different countries use different octane ratings. Look up octane on wikipedia. US uses (RON+MON)/2 while a lot of other places including most of Europe use just RON. RON averages 5+ more points than MON. Not sure what's used in SE Asia.
Correct. The USA do their own thing and have different ratings. My numbers were for what is used in Europe and SE Asia, specifically Thailand as that's what the previous posters in this thread talked about. :nerd:

· Registered
212 Posts
I live in Canada and the highest octane gas that is available at most stations is 91 octane, so 91 octane is fine for this engine, it is not doing any damage.
Most of the world uses RON as the octane measurement number to display on fuel pumps. Canada, US and Brazil use AKI which is (RON+MON)/2 which results in lower numbers being displayed on the fuel pumps. 91 AKI most likely is 95 RON. So just saying 91 octane is fine for the engine without specifying the country is wrong. Using 91 octane fuel in most countries will indeed damage your engine at some point.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Measurement_methods

Coming back to the specific topic at hand:
Yesterday I got my tank reasonably empty (20km into the fuel reserve, something like 1-1.5 liters left) and then topped up fully with 95 Benzine from Caltex here in Thailand. PTT and Esso didn't carry it. The bike maybe got a tad bit more composed at low/steady speeds but I don't think it's a huge difference. Also still got very hot. I'll need more riding though to really tell. First impression: not worth the 20% higher price.

· Registered
41 Posts
The only problem I will have is if I head out on a long trip I may have to put Gasohol in my bike at some point but im not worried as I know I will use it up and never have it sitting in the bike for any extended amount of time ( leaving the bike for weeks or more) as this is where the problem lies with Gasohol (seperation and condensation)

Gasohol is ok as a "go to" fuel if you cant get normal Gasoline but there is also performance dips as people have stated so its i'll only use it if I cant get Gasoline.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info. Due to my work my bike will be idle for weeks at a time. Before I had a CB300F and used only gasohol 95. The only problem I had was with drained battery :D. Anyway, I am back home in about one week and will be a bit more observant when starting my Icon after 3 weeks standing around.

· Registered
212 Posts
Update: I have done now about 180 kilometers on 95 Benzine from Caltex and don't think it helps at all with low speed stuttering or heat. At least I couldn't feel any difference.

Will go back to Shell V-Power I guess as it's quite a bit cheaper and since it's recommended by Ducati it can't be that bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.