Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
So, it's been a month since many of you have put on the 16T sprockets. I'm noticing a tendency to reach for "7th" gear as well and, as we've got mostly highways in my neck of the woods, am seriously considering going up a tooth up front. I'm just curious if anyone's noticed any wear on the problem areas, and if you still think it's worth it to try. Thanks!!

No wear whatsoever, and I have checked almost every week since doing this.

This is a no brainier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
So, it's been a month since many of you have put on the 16T sprockets. I'm noticing a tendency to reach for "7th" gear as well and, as we've got mostly highways in my neck of the woods, am seriously considering going up a tooth up front. I'm just curious if anyone's noticed any wear on the problem areas, and if you still think it's worth it to try. Thanks!!
I've ridden roughly 1K miles since I performed the swap and am a happy camper - I no longer feel like reaching for 7th gear at highway speeds :)

I performed the swap without grinding the engine casting where it comes close to the new sprocket. I've inspected several times and found no interference related wear at those locations. That said, the takeaway is that if you do it properly and grind a small amount of material away as discussed in this thread then you should have no issues in the future.

While unrelated, the only other mod I'm contemplating is either a modification of the stock throttle tube/cam or swapping to a throttle tamer. That will complete the 'relaxation' mods I'm applying to the Scrambler while keeping all the fun it's capable of delivering :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I decided on a 42t rear sprocket and bought the Superlite steel one from Motowheels. It is the RS7 520 for the Pinagle. I wish I knew how to upload files and pictures from my Android Tablet. Will post pictures of the item tomorrow. Nice alloy steel sprocket, lightweighted and induction hardened teeth. Should last a fair while, definitly longer than any aluminum variant. Probably better than stock.

Anyway, had to cut out a link and I used a clip on master link. I expect half the folks will let me know what a bad idea this is but it was fairly easy and has side beni's for cleaning the chain. Anyway, if I encounter problems I'll buy the tools for rivet on links.

Upshot is it behaves just like I wanted. Much less jumpy in 1st gear and runs on the highway at 80 mph at a reasonable rpm. I found 7th gear.

The whole process took about 1.5 hr. I'm competent but have never owned a chain drive bike so did some fiddling I probably won't do next time.

This works for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I decided on a 42t rear sprocket and bought the Superlite steel one from Motowheels. It is the RS7 520 for the Pinagle. I wish I knew how to upload files and pictures from my Android Tablet. Will post pictures of the item tomorrow. Nice alloy steel sprocket, lightweighted and induction hardened teeth. Should last a fair while, definitly longer than any aluminum variant. Probably better than stock.

Anyway, had to cut out a link and I used a clip on master link. I expect half the folks will let me know what a bad idea this is but it was fairly easy and has side beni's for cleaning the chain. Anyway, if I encounter problems I'll buy the tools for rivet on links.

Upshot is it behaves just like I wanted. Much less jumpy in 1st gear and runs on the highway at 80 mph at a reasonable rpm. I found 7th gear.

The whole process took about 1.5 hr. I'm competent but have never owned a chain drive bike so did some fiddling I probably won't do next time.

This works for me.
Good info! Changing to a 42T rear sprocket gives slightly taller gearing than swapping to a 16T front sprocket. Do you feel any difference in top gear acceleration?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll have to run some miles in different terrain to be certain this worked. Tomorrow I plan to ride twisties and probably some highways to connect the fun rides. In any event, it doesn't accelerate as well in any gear as before but you can always downshift to get the same effect except in 1st. Taller gearing affects mostly 1st and 6th as the motor has great torque across the power band. 1st is definitly better on the street as it is much less jumpy. 6th works much better at 80 mph which is kinda normal on highways around here. I just have to run mid range terrain to see if I can always find a good gear for every situation. I expect it will work fine.

I'll let you know after this weekend.

BTW I personally think changing the rear sprocket is easier and less likely to cause problems than going up a tooth on the front. You don't have to worry about clearances. But you do have to cut out a link or two depending on what sprocket you choose. A usable chain cutter is $25 and if you grind off the rivet head works just fine. Many folks will say that a clip master link is a bad idea. I have no experience with chain drive bikes but I expect it to work. If not, I carry an extra master link and will switch to a rivet master link if I encounter problems.*

·
Registered
2 Posts
After riding my Icon for a couple of weeks I've decided the stock gearing is too short for my purposes. I'm willing to trade acceleration for lower engine rpms/road speed, and hopefully pick up the fuel economy. In AZ riding distances can be large and fuel tank range tends to be somewhat of a priority (at least for me ;) Sometimes an extra 10 or 15 miles can make all the difference!

Based on Gearing Commander calculations I'm looking to use a 16T front sprocket and 44T rear sprocket. I've trolled various forums and learned that the rear sprocket from an 899 Panigale should work on the Scrambler - I'd like to confirm this with anyone in the know here. I haven't learned which front sprocket from another Ducati model will work on the Scrambler, so I'd appreciate any input on that.

BTW, I've noticed that the gearing information in our owner's manual seems to be a copy/paste from the Monster 796, including the front/rear sprocket sizes of 15T/39T which don't match the 15T/44T provided with the Scrambler.

Thanks!
You can't put a 16 tooth on the scrambler because it will rub on the engine casing. I ordered one in this week to do the same as you were thinking & drop the revs but can't be done. The Monster 796/803 and the Scrambler 803 have exactly the same internal gear ratio's and the same front sprocket of 15 tooth. The only difference is that the Monster has a 39 tooth rear sprocket whereas the Scrambler has a 46 tooth. This is a difference of 15% so say your scrambler is revving at 4200 rpm @ 90 kph with standard gearing it would be revving at 3570 rpm @ 90 kph with 39 tooth on the rear. Which would be a big gain in economy-flatten the twitchy throttle response especially when you hit a bump. How would it go with the swing arm-I don't know. I rang 2 Ducati dealer's and they maintain they've never changed one before. Guys I went to, to get 16 tooth put on reckon no reason why it wouldn't work. Maybe someone else out there has done it & can confirm it is possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After riding my Icon for a couple of weeks I've decided the stock gearing is too short for my purposes. I'm willing to trade acceleration for lower engine rpms/road speed, and hopefully pick up the fuel economy. In AZ riding distances can be large and fuel tank range tends to be somewhat of a priority (at least for me ;) Sometimes an extra 10 or 15 miles can make all the difference!

Based on Gearing Commander calculations I'm looking to use a 16T front sprocket and 44T rear sprocket. I've trolled various forums and learned that the rear sprocket from an 899 Panigale should work on the Scrambler - I'd like to confirm this with anyone in the know here. I haven't learned which front sprocket from another Ducati model will work on the Scrambler, so I'd appreciate any input on that.

BTW, I've noticed that the gearing information in our owner's manual seems to be a copy/paste from the Monster 796, including the front/rear sprocket sizes of 15T/39T which don't match the 15T/44T provided with the Scrambler.

Thanks!
You can't fit a 16 tooth on the front as it won't fit-would touch the casing. Only option is to change the rear sprocket. A 39 tooth on the rear would make the gearing exactly the same as the monster. I want to do the same on mine for economy and flatten the response a little. I'm not sure about the angle with the swing arm though-none of the ducati dealer's could tell me.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts