Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the look of those, great idea! Would they fit around the grab handles at the back of the seat?
They are machined for 7/8 inch tubing. I have to measure the tubes at the grab bars to be sure. Originally I wanted to locate them there but I went with on the bars for ease of use as the key needs clearance so they can be opened/unlocked. You can see a small tank bag attached to the rack as well.
Here is a picture with helmets locked in place:

· Registered
350 Posts
I appreciate what you've done but I'm working on a plan similar to what I did for my KTM Duke 390. Under the seat there is an area I plan to drill and mount two bolts with top hat washers.

You unlock the seat, pop the D ring of the helmet onto the bolts and lock the seat back down. Helmets can't be removed and if I get it right (as I did with the 390) you can ride with a helmet locked on.

· Registered
141 Posts
I appreciate what you've done but I'm working on a plan similar to what I did for my KTM Duke 390. Under the seat there is an area I plan to drill and mount two bolts with top hat washers.

You unlock the seat, pop the D ring of the helmet onto the bolts and lock the seat back down. Helmets can't be removed and if I get it right (as I did with the 390) you can ride with a helmet locked on.
Top idea. When you get it done can you post some pics please?

· Registered
717 Posts
Since these are installed using one way security screws, is it possible to remove the helmet lock? I almost did the same thing, but have been waiting because I do nit want the lock permanently installed with no way of removing it. Does the lock paperwork say anything about removal?

· Registered
292 Posts
Since these are installed using one way security screws, is it possible to remove the helmet lock? I almost did the same thing, but have been waiting because I do nit want the lock permanently installed with no way of removing it. Does the lock paperwork say anything about removal?
yeah I saw that too but did not comment I thought really not secure then

· Registered
11 Posts
You can see a small tank bag attached to the rack as well.
Here is a picture with helmets locked in place:

[/QUOTE]

A bit off topic, but can you give a bit more detail on the rear rack, haven't been able to find any OEM or after market rack to suit!

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woody, the rack is made of 7020 aluminum and is available in either polished aluminum or black from DM Telai in Italy. It fits easily to the mounting holes at the hand grab rails under the side of the seat. You will need to remove the rear fender (it drops down one it is unscrewed, no need to completely remove it from the bike) and then replace the rear fender to properly fit the rack to the bike. All mounting hardware is supplied. It took me approximately 20-30 minutes to fit the rack to the bike, working at a leisurely pace. (Hey, I'm 60 years old so what's the need to rush :) ) The rack weighs 0.5 kg and carries about 3 kg. The rack shelf itself is 8.5" (21.5 cm) at it's widest, 6.5" (16.5 cm) at its narrowest and 7" (17.75 cm) in length. I have found it very useful to carry items for a day long ride and I also have a large expandable tank bag from Nelson Riggs that fits well and I can carry enough in that for a weekend trip (though I tend to pack light). Here is a link to the page at DM Telai: [/COLOR]]Accessori Archivi - DM Telai

· Registered
350 Posts

A 30mm x 6mm hex head and top hat washer through a fender bolt is my first iteration.

I'll do something slightly better when my DM Telai rack shows up. I've used this system on a few bikes with locking seats. I don't worry too much about the security here - if they want your helmet they slice the strap with box cutter. This is mainly to hold the helmet quickly and semi secure while I drink cokes in the POW.

Unlock seat, lift slightly, pop D-ring over bolt, drop seat. The seat covers the end of the bolt so a casual viewer cannot see how easy the helmet could be lifted off.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.