Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As of about seven days ago I am having all sorts of issues when starting the bike.

Every other start of the bike, the starter motor makes a noise although the engine does not turn over. After two or three attempts, the engine finally turns over and the bike starts. The bike then rides with no issue or complaint.

Video here -

While I am taking the bike back to the dealer this week, I am keen to know if there are any insights on this forum.

As a FYI - the sound in the video is not the fuel pump priming! The bike has no mods and no changes have been made to the bike - it has barely 5,300Km on the clock.

Any help?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds very much like the starter sprag clutch is failing.

Starter spins, starter idler gear spins, but sprag clutch is not locking every time.

It will probably get worse the more it is used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds very much like the starter sprag clutch is failing.

Starter spins, starter idler gear spins, but sprag clutch is not locking every time.

It will probably get worse the more it is used.
Thanks @rider. I was thinking the same thing. Just so odd considering the bike is not even 12 months old. I hope this is a warranty job...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Should be covered, the starter sprag isn't the strongest component on a Ducati, a few have failed.

Try Googling the subject, there are several hits regarding it, and a couple that describe modifications to improve the operation and reliability.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I bought my bike, the dealer even mentioned this and he said it is important to make sure the battery always has a strong charge.
Confused @soakes - what correlation does a fully charged battery have to do with the starter sprag clutch failing? While I do not actively trickle charge my battery, the bike is ridden five out of seven days a week - battery is healthy and charged. Can you confirm what you mean?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Confused @soakes - what correlation does a fully charged battery have to do with the starter sprag clutch failing? While I do not actively trickle charge my battery, the bike is ridden five out of seven days a week - battery is healthy and charged. Can you confirm what you mean?
If the battery isn't up to scratch the engine will turn over more slowly with the effect that it doesn't gain enough momentum. So that when it fires the ignition pushes the engine backwards against it's normal rotation, usually with a very loud "Clack" noise. This backfiring has a detrimental effect on the sprague clutch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
And also,

The relevance would be that a strong battery would provide a quicker spin up with more torque than that of a weak battery.

A weak battery would tend to provide less grunt to lock the sprag and it would be more prone to slip.

It's a bit like hitting the nail on the head with a big hammer, rather than glancing off the nail with a watchmakers hammer,,,,,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Derek @rider - thanks for that information. I did not realise that was the case.

I just put the multimeter on the bike and ignition off the battery sits at 12.75V, on ignition the battery dips momentarily to 11.8V and straight back up. Based on these results, I am comfortable ruling out the battery.

It is off the dealer in 12 hours so we will see what they have to say for themselves.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts