Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured while we wait we might as well talk MotoGP. So the season got underway this past weekend in Qatar, and the Desmosedici boys placed themselves in fifth and sixth. Andrea Doviziozo placed fifth after starting on the second row.

We have to look at the positive aspects of this result, because in view of the championship a fifth place is always important,” said Dovizioso. “But another important objective for us was to reduce the gap to the winner, and we managed to cut that down by half from last year, and that’s another important fact. We still have understeer problems that condition our performance in the race, but I am pleased with the progress we’ve made so far, even though we still have to work hard to improve our bike.”
The second Desmosedici rider Cal Crutchlow made his debut with the factory team with a respectable sixth place finish despite fighting his bike nearly the entire way.

“It was a bittersweet race for me,” admitted the man from Coventry. “Finishing in sixth place is a good result, I needed to repay the boys with a finish because they worked hard after the warm-up, when I crashed out. In the race, from lap 5 onwards, we had an electrical problem: the transponder wasn’t working, the dash switched off and the bike began to behave strangely.”

“I was pleased to be competitive until midway with Aleix (Espargaro) and Dovi but I struggled to finish the race because the problem got worse towards the end. However it was important to get this race distance under our belt for Ducati and come away from here in not too bad a shape.”
I am of the opinion that Ducatis MotoGP program is very similar to Ferrari's F1 program. When the road bikes/cars are stellar, the race programs suffer, when the race programs are outstanding their road lineups suck. Ducati sold a record amount of bikes last year and debuted the baby panner, the new diavel and a new monster. No wonder they can't find the podium ;)

Its a long season with two young riders, lets see what happens :D Next race is on April 13th in Texas at the Circuit of Americas.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You'd think that the least that a pro bike race team could do is make sure that the motorcycle is working properly. Let's try to keep this thread updated as the race season continues. Maybe we can get a little info on the bikes that the Ducati boys are riding too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'd think that the least that a pro bike race team could do is make sure that the motorcycle is working properly. Let's try to keep this thread updated as the race season continues. Maybe we can get a little info on the bikes that the Ducati boys are riding too.
he had a minor crash on the first lap which contributed to the failure. Its racing man, things happen. Vettel didnt even get off the grid in the F1 opener and hes the reigning champ 3 years running. Hamilton qualified on the pole and had to retire after two laps...

Just saying man, pro does not mean they get to bed the laws of mechanics. Things break, races go on...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yea, I guess that anything is possible in racing and there are a lot of accidents and randomness involved. Hopefully things will go better with the next race on the 13th of April. I'll be sure to check back here to see how the Ducati team does.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I guess that anything is possible in racing and there are a lot of accidents and randomness involved. Hopefully things will go better with the next race on the 13th of April. I'll be sure to check back here to see how the Ducati team does.
well Il probably just watch the race LOL

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome congrats to them, good to see they placed well in the end
yea well see how argentina goes this weekend.. Dovi was down in 8th during morning practice and moved up to 5th in afternoon practice, shaving 3 second off his times. The Ducks have great straight line power but corner like dogs breakfast compared to the hondas. They just cant keep up through the apex, they catch a bit on the straights, but Argentina isn't exactly a straight line circuit....

·
Registered
889 Posts
yea well see how argentina goes this weekend.. Dovi was down in 8th during morning practice and moved up to 5th in afternoon practice, shaving 3 second off his times. The Ducks have great straight line power but corner like dogs breakfast compared to the hondas. They just cant keep up through the apex, they catch a bit on the straights, but Argentina isn't exactly a straight line circuit....
Sure sounds like one interesting and intense race!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ugly day for the Ducks. The highest Ducati was 6th under Iannone who rides a customer Ducati, the Factory Open team brought home 9th for Dovizioso and 17th for substitute ride Pirro. The Ducatis have great horsepower, probably one of, if not the most powerful bike on the grid, but the thing just doesn't want to corner with speed...

The other Customer Ducati in the field ridden by Hernandez brought home 12th.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts