Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any options for full replacement kits? I know myself and Tony have experienced the clutch slipping under strain due to the poor performance of the clutch plates and weak springs. Would like to either find an aftermarket rebuild kit or full kit with basket. I'm not looking for a cosmetic upgrade like Ducabike.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also interested. I burned through my clutch by 6000mi. I think something with a bit more bite and some better friction material would be a fantastic upgrade. Stock clutch on these things is made out of freaking cardboard.

·
Registered
117 Posts
done after 6000miles? How are you riding and shifting as this doesn't make sense to me..

Though I saw people burning through their tyres in 3000 miles as well, so what do I know. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Most people who had their clutches burned through after relatively few kilometers like myself were suffering from wrongly set-up clutches by Ducati and got them replaced on warranty. Not sure if the material/design of the clutches is a weak spot but I wouldn't rule it out being the case after all what I've seen.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello

One question to those who burnt their clutch too quickly : how do you proceeed when you stop at a traffic light, for ex. ?
Do you put your bike back to neutral and release the clutch lever or do you keep an engaged gear and clutch lever in use ?
Do you also use your clutch to cross a roundabout or when you're driving slowly ?

Personaly, as soon as possible, I come back to neutral point and release the clutch. I've always done so on any bikes, specially my Ducati and never burnt any clutch. On my ST2, my clutch reached 120000 km, although it was a dry clutch that normally wears in 30000 km. I was modified to avoid the known noise of dry clutch when disengaged, but I'm pretty sure that my usage of it also contributed to its duration.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hello

One question to those who burnt their clutch too quickly : how do you proceeed when you stop at a traffic light, for ex. ?
Do you put your bike back to neutral and release the clutch lever or do you keep an engaged gear and clutch lever in use ?
Do you also use your clutch to cross a roundabout or when you're driving slowly ?

Personaly, as soon as possible, I come back to neutral point and release the clutch. I've always done so on any bikes, specially my Ducati and never burnt any clutch. On my ST2, my clutch reached 120000 km, although it was a dry clutch that normally wears in 30000 km. I was modified to avoid the known noise of dry clutch when disengaged, but I'm pretty sure that my usage of it also contributed to its duration.
On traffic lights or similar stops I always go to neutral. On a roundabout I also don't use the clutch most of the time if possible. Basically I don't overuse the clutch while riding, never do clutch wheelies or similar things that could put a lot of strain on the clutch. Heck I rarely do full throttle as I ride two-up. I have other bikes with way more kilometers and never burned a clutch in my life on these. I highly doubt it's a rider error. It's either a botched setup by Ducati or the material is just not up to the job.

Oh one more thing. My clutch was fine for quite some kilometers (dont remember but more than 5k). Then Ducati had a service announcement to check clutches because customers started reporting this issue. During a regular service the dealer told me they adjusted the clutch even though there was no apparent issue. Shortly after that, the clutch burned out. Pretty sure they misadjusted it during that service but hard to prove of course.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My clutch is shot at 7000 miles, major slippage.
I don't ride clutch, no burn outs or wheelies.

I'm not happy, put over 50,000 on multiple bikes before and I've never had a clutch issue.
Taking bike in this week for service, my dealer has already stated that warranty will not cover this issue.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
205 Posts
18,000 km. LOTS of city riding. On the clutch all the time here. But it's clutch in or or clutch out. No riding in between. Only for pulling away smoothly. And only when I see that I'll be stationary for a while will I engage neutral to give my hand a rest. It's not that the clutch action is stiff or anything, I have relatively small hands. I believe the troubles described in this thread must be factory assembly related and should be covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My clutch is shot at 7000 miles, major slippage.
I don't ride clutch, no burn outs or wheelies.

I'm not happy, put over 50,000 on multiple bikes before and I've never had a clutch issue.
Taking bike in this week for service, my dealer has already stated that warranty will not cover this issue.
Any suggestions?
Don't take any crap from them and stand your ground firm. Tell them it's a known issue that dozens of other bikes have experienced and had them replaced under warranty. If they still refuse, ask them to escalate the issue and if they refuse that, contact customer relations at Ducati Italy.

I'm pretty sure if you insist, they'll cover it. A full clutch replacement isn't so cheap. Good luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
18,000 km. LOTS of city riding. On the clutch all the time here. But it's clutch in or or clutch out. No riding in between. Only for pulling away smoothly. And only when I see that I'll be stationary for a while will I engage neutral to give my hand a rest. It's not that the clutch action is stiff or anything, I have relatively small hands. I believe the troubles described in this thread must be factory assembly related and should be covered by the warranty.
Absolutely! Some bikes have the clutch not properly adjusted from factory and some actually got messed up during service (as was mine). It's one thing that they mess this adjustment up but what really annoys me is that it's so easy to mess up. That shouldn't even be possible!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just had my clutch replaced under warranty, started slipping at only 1500 miles. The service manager showed me the friction plates, they were worn down to bare metal and scored. He said it was the first one they'd had in. Big job too, took them 3 hours.

I want to double check my clutch cable is adjusted properly. How they've set it at the moment there's about 2mm free play at the lever but I can't move the pivot at the engine it's under tension. If I wind on the adjuster slightly to create 3-4mm at the lever I can can also move the pivot at the engine with my finger; which is how I thought it should be set.

My question is, should there be enough free play to be able to manipulate the pivot at the engine?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should have a little slack, the manual specifies 2 to 3mm of slack with a standard 5mm on the nearside adjustment.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So update:

Just picked up today, labor was around $420. If you'll notice, there is no clutch cover, just an integrated case cover and it all has to come off...

Anyway, that aside I am pleased to note that the lever pull is much firmer to my liking. Feels more like my Panigale's hydraulic clutch now. Very nice... It seems to hook up better and it just grabs. I actually stalled it at a light screwing with the friction zone. Will have to test over 100MPH, where my major slippage was. I am overall pleased if for nothing other than the improved feel of the lever action. I also want to note, the stock clutch plates didn't appear to be worn or anything abnormal at about the 2800 mile range. Just a note, the stock friction pads are exceptionally tiny; although didn't compare side by side.

I'd recommend this if you have to money to spend on the parts and if needed, the labor. You'll likely be doing an oil change as I did at the same time FYI.

Will report back when I put some miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is a reasonable price to be charged for the replacement of EVERYTHING CLUTCH for a 2017 Ducati Scrambler? (Basket, plates, etc.) Is $1,928 reasonable?

·
Registered
281 Posts
according to the Star Twin website the plates, drum, basket, boss and pressure plate add up to €653. If you include the springs, lifter mechanism parts and the various nuts and washers it totals €753, that about $883 at the current rate. Even if your cost includes labour it still sounds like a helluva lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
done after 6000miles? How are you riding and shifting as this doesn't make sense to me..

Though I saw people burning through their tyres in 3000 miles as well, so what do I know. :)
WOw, I just looking at replacing mine at 45 000 km, still the original clutch on the bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts