Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an important message for all current & future owners of Scrambler 803.

My Scrambler's clutch plates gave way during a recent road trip to the hills. Just collected my bike back after a clutch plate replacement.

The service advisor shared with me that some batches of Scramblers have been shipped from the factory with incorrect clutch settings with little or no free play. Some were adjusted for free play at the time of handover to owners while some were not.

A free play in the clutch is very important for this bike else it can mean an early failure of the clutch plates. Please go and get yours checked and ask for a demo of how much free play should be there at all times normally.

Sharing the official advisory on this topic which I recd. from my SA:

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Thanks for posting. I think mine's OK, but I'll check before I ride again (when it stops raining ...)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello

A free-play on clutch is important for any bike, not only the Scrambler.

if your clutch doesn't have enough free-play, the discs are never well pressed firmly together and they will keep sliding, being worn very quickly.

If you have too much free-play, the clutch will not work properly and it will be difficult to find the neutral point, even to go from one gear to another one, specially when down-gearing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A free-play on clutch is important for any bike, not only the Scrambler.
Many thanks for your reply Vince.

Just so that readers of this thread do not get confused by your comments, my original post is NOT about the general role a free playing clutch has in the functioning of any motorcycle.

This post is to give a heads up to Scrambler 803 owners about a very specific issue in Scrambler from the manufacturing plant, which has led to numerous premature clutch plate failures and has prompted Ducati to issue a service advisory to dealers worldwide, a copy of which I've shared in my original post.

Hope this clears things up. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
You also can find this thing in the owner's manual, but there the reported play is between 4 and 5 mm.
The images that outofthebox posted are from the service manual.
I double checked and adjusted the play per owner's manual (between 4 and 5 mm) and the clutch is still perfect after 3200 km.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You also can find this thing in the owner's manual, but there the reported play is between 4 and 5 mm.
The images that outofthebox posted are from the service manual.
I double checked and adjusted the play per owner's manual (between 4 and 5 mm) and the clutch is still perfect after 3200 km.
From page 107 of the owner's manual.
Sorry, I made a mistake: the play should be between 3 and 4 mm.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks, interesting...little surprised that factory got this wrong in some cases.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks, interesting...little surprised that factory got this wrong in some cases.
Probably this is due to the fact that these days they are mostly handling hydraulic clutches and Scrambler has a old (good?) wires system. My Scramby has ok clutch after 9k km down the line fortunately. Thanks Amit for this important warning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello, how's the clutch behavior now? I had few problems initially including slip of 3rd to 4th along with false neutral 2nd to 1st but after about 4200kms its non-exisent. Either i got used to it, or the thing just adapted to my style.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done 1800 Kms since the clutch replacement and everything is hunky dory. Have added checking clutch free play from time to time to my riding habit now.

Reactions: Bounty320i

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've done 1800 Kms since the clutch replacement and everything is hunky dory. Have added checking clutch free play from time to time to my riding habit now.

Same here. Ever since I replaced the clutch at 3000kms I've developed the habit of checking the slack at the lever. No issues so far. I'm at 8000kms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts

Same here. Ever since I replaced the clutch at 3000kms I've developed the habit of checking the slack at the lever. No issues so far. I'm at 8000kms

You have to pay for the new clutch or it's under warranty?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I find it unbelievable this isn't picked up at pre-delivery. Anyways I have smallish hands and need free play to make level operation a little easier so the first thing I tend to on my bikes is winding in the adjuster...

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi , have you paid for the clutch or it was under warranty?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts