Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Happy December ! now that its a bit too cold to ride the bike every other day, I'm getting a bit bored, and thinking about some DIY saddle bags. Has anyone done this before ? I saw some youtube vids for everything from zip ties to cutting and welding. I was hoping someone has experience somewhere in the middle.

I was thinking the steps at a high level would basically be 1. find a bag shape that I like. 2. make the backing of the bag rigid so it doesnt flap around during rides. 3 find a way to mount it. 4. (bonus) find a way to lock it so when I go to a cafe in brooklyn, my bag doesn't disappears when I come back out.

Any insights / pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks !

·
Registered
87 Posts
There are a couple problem s with the scrambler. I wanted larger bags to do camping trips with but it is set up for small bags. First problem is the tail lights are too far forward. Second is attaching the bottom to keep the bags from swinging in and getting caught in the swingarm on big bumps. Actually, three problems, the pipe aims up.

Initially I bought some big waterproof bags. Floppy and I burned a hole in the bottom. I made a metal bottom and insulated it and made it home. Then I made wood holders that were bolted to small angle bracket s under the seat and made some bracket s to attach to the footpeg mounts. There are 5mm threaded holes there on the inside, hard to see.

But hated the look. First step was to buy a new Danmoto pipe. Works nice, got the one with the adjustable baffle so I can vary from loud to really loud which is helpful to only blast when really needed.

This year I went to Tandy and bought a half cow hide, a bunch of copper rivets and made a nice set. Oh I also bought a kit/bracket to move the tail light s to the license plate holder. Some Harley website had it.

I'll try to upload a picture from my phone. Looks good to me. Too big for daily wear and a little smaller than the old bags. Life is full of compromises...

Use your imagination and go for it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts