Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Why else would Ducati start telling a new 'Land of Joy' story?

On October 20th this showed up on the Official Ducati Scrambler Facebook page: Two more special friends just joined the Land of Joy.
Please meet Bart & Betty! He's a skater and she's a BMXer. Over the coming weeks we'll get to know them better through their story!
They may have a little Scrambler news for us....
Who knows!
Stay tuned!!

From the looks of it, Ducati is planning an 11-part comic teasing information on something Scrambler related in the run up to EICMA next month.

We believe Ducati is planning a smaller displacement Scrambler. It's known that of Ducati's nine new models planned for EICMA, two are expected to give them access to "motorcyclists who were – until now – beyond our reach"

And just a couple of hours ago, part 2/11 showed up on Facebook

The fact that Ducati is trying to tap into the youthful skate-culture, more so then even the first time around, makes us seriously consider that Ducati is in fact planning a 400cc Scrambler. It would simultaneously give Ducati access to a new audience, while giving the new audience access to a Ducati that was previously too powerful or too pricey.

Ducati has built 400cc bikes in the past, most notably the Ducati 400 SS from '91-'95 and the Monster 400 from '95-'05

But don't take our word for it, dealers in Europe seem to be letting the cat out of the bag...

The fun begins on November the 16th when Ducati will live stream their new model releases. EICMA gets under way a few days later on the 19th.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Heard from dealer today:
It will be a 400ccm Scrambler,L-Twin,41 PS ( HP)
Cheers

·
Registered
628 Posts
First pic of the new scrambler. Looks like the rumors of a smaller scrambler were true after all!!!
There is something wrong with this pic. - can't put my finger on it but at first glance it looked like a scale model to me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
ok now the question is where do they intend to sell it... globally I would imagine.. you don't start an ad campaign in socal to not sell bikes there...

next question what else are they going to do with a 400 ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
ok now the question is where do they intend to sell it... globally I would imagine.. you don't start an ad campaign in socal to not sell bikes there...
That one is easy, Japan & Singapore and some other Asian markets to begin with.

400cc is an important bike capacity in such countries because of the strict riding license regime. For example, in Singapore, 75% of all riders only have a license to ride a bike of less than 200cc, 15% have a licence to ride up to 400cc and only 10% or so have a licence to ride a bike of more than 600cc.

It takes a few years, lots of time & effort to go from one class to another. Lots of dropouts and the pass percentage is only about 20%.

So the riding license regime in a way determines the market size of different categories of bikes in such markets.

If the 400cc Scrambler becomes a reality, Ducati will only be repeating history in those markets. Japan & Singapore were one of the rare markets to see a 400cc Monster in the late 90's.

Which brings us to the question, why a global campaign (or in socal) for it, unless it brings some relevant features for those markets?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is that actually the bike that Ducati will be selling? Why would we have such a early look at it? Where did the picture come from?
I would assume that the lower displacement Scrambler wouldn't be so different from the current Scrambler. It should stay in the same style. That bike is way different from the Scrambler we have now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Look at the picture again. I would like to see a 400 single aka supermono myself. Can't see how they could cut much cost on a 400. Maybe go a lower spec brakes and no abs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Triumph just announced the liquid cooled Bonneville with 1200cc variants. I guess especially the American market wants larger displacement.

Will be interesting if Ducati is going the other direction with Scrambler.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Triumph just announced the liquid cooled Bonneville with 1200cc variants. I guess especially the American market wants larger displacement.

Will be interesting if Ducati is going the other direction with Scrambler.
interesting I've been updating their facebook and instagram and nothing new comes up ye

and yes they were announcing something for today ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Blow up the photo. Looks real - real spring on the side stand and chain appears real as well, HOWEVER, rear brake is cable actuated with no right side foot pedal for it. Frame has a nicely done "Made in England" decal on the right side down tube, there do not appear to be any cylinders at the top of the engine case or any exhaust system! Someone is yanking our collective chain. Shame on you Ducati for such theatrics if that's where all this came from. No one likes being treated like an idiot. Not even an idiot!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts