Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to pulling the trigger on a 1100 Special and have two options. Looking for some feedback. The first is a used 2018 Special with 475 miles. Asking price is $11,000.00 out the door. Second option is a 2020 left over brand new Special for over $17,000.00 out the door. From what I see the specs are very close if not the same. Were there any issues with the early release bikes? Is the 2020 worth the premium? Last question. I looked the used bike over and can't find a scratch on it, anywhere, pegs, frame, forks, bars. It looks brand new. Some items to note on the used bike; it is at a dealer, it only has the left side SW Moto side bag, the right side plate reflector is missing and I think one bolt to mount the right side bag is missing (not sure if this comes on a new bike). The dealer only says the previous owner never rode the bike enough to keep it. What should I look for to help know if the bike has been dropped?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 2018s have had an issue with piston slap. Ducati is taking care of this problem, even out of warranty. Have this discus with the dealer. They may not be aware if they did not sell a lot of 1100s. Mine was the first at my dealer with the issue, and they fixed it this year.

Other than that, I would buy the 2018, and save the cash. That 2020 will be worth 11,000 the minute you ride it off. I purchased my 2018 last year, for $10,000. Not sure which state you are in, but if CA, out the door for 11 isn’t bad, CA adds a lot to the cost. Otherwise, try to get them down to 10k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I did some research last night. The dealer has been doing a recall on the 2018 this past week. I need to find out what that was. Was the piston slap just an issue with the 2018 model year? From what I read it sounded like it was in later models as well. Did they put in a new piston and cylinder for you? I totally agree with the drop in value with the 2020.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They replaced the cylinder and piston. The old one was double out of spec. Head over to scramblerforum.com, it is a bit more active, and lots of info on the slap. Many people had it replaced. Mine was at 600 miles, some more. I think it was just 2018, possibly 2019.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts