Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an option to buy a used 2015 full throttle for $7200 with 10,000km on it, and two previous owners,, or a new 2018 scrambler 1100 for $13,000.

Fairly big price difference, and I'm ok going there even though saving the cash would be preferred, though what I'm most curious about is whether the extra weight and size of the 1100 would be cumbersome when compared to the 800? I'm 5'8" and 150lbs.

I've just owned one previous bike, a 2001 ducati monster 600. So, moving up to a 1100 seems dramatic, but I do have a fairly good deal on it since the dealership just cut $5,500 off its list in order to liquidate older models.

Any knowledgeable comments or feedback would be hugely helpful!!

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go for the 800. Being of similar stature, the 800 fits me super well and is a blast to drive! The 1100 is definitely a wider machine and wasn't as easy to handle. I always recommend at least going and sitting on both and if you can, test drive them too. I have a 2015 Icon and its an amazing machine, what I have heard about the 1100 has been more luke warm.

2016 DUCATI SCRAMBLER ICON
16 Posts
Hi, I have an option to buy a used 2015 full throttle for $7200 with 10,000km on it, and two previous owners,, or a new 2018 scrambler 1100 for $13,000.

Fairly big price difference, and I'm ok going there even though saving the cash would be preferred, though what I'm most curious about is whether the extra weight and size of the 1100 would be cumbersome when compared to the 800? I'm 5'8" and 150lbs.

I've just owned one previous bike, a 2001 ducati monster 600. So, moving up to a 1100 seems dramatic, but I do have a fairly good deal on it since the dealership just cut $5,500 off its list in order to liquidate older models.

Any knowledgeable comments or feedback would be hugely helpful!!

Thanks
Brandon
Hopefully someone who owns an 1100 will issue u good advice. My advice is twofold:
-Assuming u test drove both bikes; which felt easiest to handle and was more comfortable, though on either an aftermarket high end seat should be considered to vastly improve comfort
-Read the feedback from both the full throttle owners and the 1100 scrambler owners who reply,,,,,,

Since I like light bikes, I bought a 2016 Ducati Scrambler icon, which only weighs 375 lbs. dry. I've never driven the 1100 but heard one idle and the engine's sound is awesome.
Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 4.15.08 AM.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am 5'9 125kg. I am a little short of leg compared to the rest of me. i have ridden the 800 and it was a fun little bike but I'm so glad i waited for an 1100. It feels more substantial and has extra torque for if you like to carry pillion (which I do). I have the grey "Special" and my wife and I love it. We have clocked 6000km in 6 months (mostly two up) which is not bad considering I work six days most weeks. The 1100 seems really light compared to my Diavel and my WideGlide but not flimsy or skittish. It handles great in the hills, has taken us down some "roads" marked as DRY WEATHER ONLY and thru winding park trails suited to walking / push biking. It is by no means a dirt bike whichs is obvious as soon as you look to the front brakes. I thought it might be a bit underpowered but considering it has as much HP as the Harley and weighs a LOT less, it goes fine whether up, down or on the flat. I have toyed with the idea of some smallish leather bags and a sheepskin seat for overnighters on the odd weekend I don't work saturday. I keep thinking about modifications but is SO nice just standard, I have somehow left well enough alone. I hope these comments give you the urge to test ride one.

16 Posts
I am 5'9 125kg. I am a little short of leg compared to the rest of me. i have ridden the 800 and it was a fun little bike but I'm so glad i waited for an 1100. It feels more substantial and has extra torque for if you like to carry pillion (which I do). I have the grey "Special" and my wife and I love it. We have clocked 6000km in 6 months (mostly two up) which is not bad considering I work six days most weeks. The 1100 seems really light compared to my Diavel and my WideGlide but not flimsy or skittish. It handles great in the hills, has taken us down some "roads" marked as DRY WEATHER ONLY and thru winding park trails suited to walking / push biking. It is by no means a dirt bike whichs is obvious as soon as you look to the front brakes. I thought it might be a bit underpowered but considering it has as much HP as the Harley and weighs a LOT less, it goes fine whether up, down or on the flat. I have toyed with the idea of some smallish leather bags and a sheepskin seat for overnighters on the odd weekend I don't work saturday. I keep thinking about modifications but is SO nice just standard, I have somehow left well enough alone. I hope these comments give you the urge to test ride one.

The 1100 scrambler is for sure a supreme machine. As u seem to be mostly a 2 up rider u do need the extra power and a more substantial weighted machine, I guess it weighs around 53 lbs. more then the Ducati 800 series scramblers, of which I ride a 2016 Ducati Scrambler Icon, which, as a one up rider, has more than enough power for me; no more 1000+ mile adventure trips for me right now,,,,,,btw, met this guy idling his 1100 scrambler and the sound was awesome,,,,,just a solid engine roar w zero upper end noise,,,,,,

good luck,

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ‘16 Icon 800 which I got used with the full Termi. Added an Ohlins shock and fork springs and a Ducati comfort seat as the stock seat was quite uncomfortable IMO. Been riding it for two and a half years and it’s been great. It is up for sale now as a few days ago I picked up a used ‘19 1100 Special with only 900 kms on the clock and the double stacked Termi cans on the right side. Not because I wasn’t enjoying my 800, just because I’m 58, the grains of sand are falling rapidly and I’d like to enjoy another bike. The 1100 is definitely more bike, double discs up front and I find the stock suspension as good or better than the Ohlins setup I had on 800. The stock seat is very comfy for me. The horsepower isn’t a big upgrade but there’s heaps more torque and it’s lower down in the rev range. OTOH I never really felt I needed more grunt on my 800. The 1100 is a bit heavier but I honestly don’t feel it when pushing it around or riding it - it’s still lighter than your average HD Sportster by the weight of my wife (she’s not big) so this is not a heavy bike at all.

Bottom line, IMO, you can’t go wrong with either bike. Definitely give them both a ride. I think they're both great street bikes with really nice motors that have power in the right place on the tacho for fun, sane street riding. Last point is IMO the 800 needs an exhaust upgrade for the nice sound but the 1100 sounds pretty good with the stock setup. Good luck.

16 Posts
I have a ‘16 Icon 800 which I got used with the full Termi. Added an Ohlins shock and fork springs and a Ducati comfort seat as the stock seat was quite uncomfortable IMO. Been riding it for two and a half years and it’s been great. It is up for sale now as a few days ago I picked up a used ‘19 1100 Special with only 900 kms on the clock and the double stacked Termi cans on the right side. Not because I wasn’t enjoying my 800, just because I’m 58, the grains of sand are falling rapidly and I’d like to enjoy another bike. The 1100 is definitely more bike, double discs up front and I find the stock suspension as good or better than the Ohlins setup I had on 800. The stock seat is very comfy for me. The horsepower isn’t a big upgrade but there’s heaps more torque and it’s lower down in the rev range. OTOH I never really felt I needed more grunt on my 800. The 1100 is a bit heavier but I honestly don’t feel it when pushing it around or riding it - it’s still lighter than your average HD Sportster by the weight of my wife (she’s not big) so this is not a heavy bike at all.

Bottom line, IMO, you can’t go wrong with either bike. Definitely give them both a ride. I think they're both great street bikes with really nice motors that have power in the right place on the tacho for fun, sane street riding. Last point is IMO the 800 needs an exhaust upgrade for the nice sound but the 1100 sounds pretty good with the stock setup. Good luck.
Yes, IMO everything you posted was very accurate and correct. You are right also about the 800 needing an exhaust upgrade for those requiring that 'special sound' we all crave but just spent $325 having my pipes professionally wrapped by my dealer using 'MADE IN THE USA' D.E.I. titanium heat wrap so now can't afford an exhaust upgrade,,,,,,instead, gonna invest in a 360 degree adj. EVO foot peg kit w rubber inserts from SW-MOTECH.US @ USD $157 and a 'MADE IN THE U.K. Dart flyscreen @ USD $129. Already added a comfy 'old school' British Customs Corsa Moto diamond stitch brown seat @ USD $450 delivered. I have attached a photo of my 2016 icon but it doesn't show my titanium wrapped pipes. Also added some slip on 'grip puppies' avail. on amazon for USD $25. Regarding the bc seat, it's topped w 'marine-grade-vinyl' so I was slipping around the seat due to wearing 'Joe Rocket m/c armored pants which has a 'ballistic nylon seat' which caused the slipping, so just bought a supple rough textured 10" x 10" swatch of leather from JoAnn fabrics for 8 buck, then did a mock up of it onto the seat of the JR pants using double sided adhesive tape, took a test drive and no more slipping on the seat. Then over to my tailor to have it securely sewed on,,,,,problem solved.

Good luck,

(y)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts